Chris M.
Chris M., M.S.W. Social Work
Experience:  Master's Degree, strong math and writing skills, experience in one-on-one tutoring (college English)
22285537

Multiple Choice Questions (Choose the most appropriate choice

Customer Question

Multiple Choice Questions (Choose the most appropriate choice for each question, Please. Thank you.)

A population of Sri Lankan brown cockroaches lives on a forest floor. They suffer heavy predation from chameleons. Because their heads are small, the chameleons are unable to eat the very largest adult cockroaches, and instead prey upon small and medium sized adults. What type of selection does the chameleons impose on the roaches?

Sexual selection.
Directional selection.
Stabilizing selection.
Random selection.
Disruptive selection.

Hunting in the 1980s reduced the population of Northern elephant seals and their genetic variation. Their population size to as few as 20 individuals at the end of the 19th century. Their population has since rebounded to over 30,000 but they have much less genetic variation than a population of southern elephant seals that was not so intensely hunted. This result in genetic changes of the population is called ….

founder effect.
genetic effect.
population effect.
bottleneck effect.
hunting effect.

Which of the following statements is NOT true?

Traits that are advantageous often do not persist in a population.

Adaptation is a common trait within a population that provides an enhanced fitness.

The proportion of individuals with advantageous characteristics may
increase due to their increased likelihood of surviving and
reproducing.

Depending on environmental conditions, inherited characteristics may
be advantageous, neutral, or detrimental.

Inherited characteristics affect the likelihood of an organism's
survival and reproduction.

Which of the following statements is NOT true:

Over 99% of the species that have ever lived has gone extinct.

Humans have zero probability of becoming extinct because we are
special.

Every lineage in the tree of life has some chance of becoming extinct.

Lineages can change quickly or slowly by changing characteristics.

Extinction can be frequent or rare.
Category: Homework
Expert:  Chris M. replied 5 years ago.

Hello, and thanks for the question.

Directional selection.

Hunting in the 1980s reduced the population of Northern elephant seals and their genetic variation. Their population size to as few as 20 individuals at the end of the 19th century. Their population has since rebounded to over 30,000 but they have much less genetic variation than a population of southern elephant seals that was not so intensely hunted. This result in genetic changes of the population is called

founder effect.

Humans have zero probability of becoming extinct because we are special.

Hope this helps!

Customer: replied 5 years ago.

The solution showed that all of your answer were not right. One of them was wrong, and that was the second one.

I remember you told me that You cannot use my username and passport for biowebsite. It is Ok. Now if i ask you 15-20 questions in 10/22/2011 (Saturday) at 1.00 pm, then can you give me the answers 45 minutes after? It should not be later than that. It is ok if you get one or two of them wrong. If you get 90% of them right, I will accept the answer. The questions are multiple choice. Can you do that? if yes, please tell me and also do not forget.

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Those fifteen or 20 questions are easier than my previous questions, and they are conceptual. If you get even 80% of them right, then the answer will be definitely accepted by me.
Expert:  Chris M. replied 5 years ago.
I had to take a minute and review the answer that was incorrect, and in this case the grading appears to be correct--the founder effect and the bottleneck effect have the same result, but a different cause. A couple of the questions you previously reported as wrong, I was sure were correct. I was wondering if the course grading was accurate. Anyway, I will be willing to assist you on Saturday at 1:00 EST.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.

Hi Professor,

I know you do your best.The fact is that when I enter your answers, I will quickly understand if It is right or not. After I submit the choice, It shows me if I got it right or wrong. I can give you the username and passport for that website, then you can check which of your answers were wrong. I can do that, if you want. In this case, I will also tell you that where you can find the questions I asked you.

So if I submit 15 questions for you in staurday at 1.00 pm, can you give me the answers at 1.30 pm? I know I said i want them at 1.45, but now i changed my decision because of time of my assignment. Can you send the answers in 1.30 pm, if you get them in 1.0 pm? It should not not later than 1.30pm or 1.35 at ll. If you give it later than that time, it will not be useful for me any more. I want to be sure about that. Can you do that please? Thank you. I expect to get 80% of those 15 questions right which are 12 of them.

Customer: replied 5 years ago.

Multiple Choice questions:

1. If the earths climate changed into significantly warmer conditions than present, given that increase in body surface area increases heat dissipation, what kinds of humans would you expect in the deep future? Assume that all humans have to live in natural environmental conditions. i.e. not inside buildings.

Thinner and shorter build compared to present humans.

Same build as present humans.

Thinner and taller build compared to present humans.

Thicker and taller build than present humans.

Thicker and shorter build compared to present humans.

2. Which if the following statements about sickle-cell anemia is false?

Heterozygotes have a greater resistance to malaria.

Heterozygotes are carriers of the gene for sickle-cell anemia.

The sickle-cell disease will be immediately wiped out if a vaccine for
malaria is found.

Homozygous recessives show an acute and sometimes fatal disease.

The distribution of the disease is closely aligned to where malaria is
found.

3. Imagine that scientists removed 2 blastomere cells from a young 8-cell stage embryo in order to perform a genetic test. How would this impact the embryo's development?

The embryo will continue to develop, but will be 25% smaller in size when it is born.

There will not be a major impact on the embryo's development

The embryo will be born with rearranged body parts.

The embryo will be missing the organ system that usually derives from the two missing cells.

The embryo will die because 25% of the instructions for development are missing.

Which of the following describes the axial location of your heart?

anterior, dorsal, left

posterior, ventral, left

posterior, dorsal, left

anterior, ventral, left

Note: The fifteen questions in saturday are shorter and a lot easier than today's questions.

Expert:  Chris M. replied 5 years ago.
Yes, I will be looking for the questions on Saturday at 1:00 PM.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Thank you. Also please answer to the those four new questions I asked recently. Thank you.
Expert:  Chris M. replied 5 years ago.
THIS ANSWER IS LOCKED!

You need to spend $3 to view this post. Add Funds to your account and buy credits.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
All four answers were right this time. I appreciate. So I accepeted the answer. Thanks a lot.
Expert:  Chris M. replied 5 years ago.

You're welcome. Speak to you soon!