Chris M.
Chris M., M.S.W. Social Work
Experience:  Master's Degree, strong math and writing skills, experience in one-on-one tutoring (college English)

Ethics and the Administration of JusticeMID-TERM EXAMADJ/235Sunday,

Customer Question

Ethics and the Administration of Justice
MID-TERM EXAM
ADJ/235
Sunday, October 16, 2011 

1-10 True or False Questions
40 possible points

1-      Criminal justice issues are serious, difficult, and affect people’s lives in fundamental ways. These are just a sample of the criminal justice issues that have ethical implications. 
True or False  (circle the correct response)

2-      A deontological ethical system is one that is concerned solely with the inherent nature of the act being judged and teleological systems judge the consequences of an act.

3-      The consensus paradigm views society as individuals who disagree on goals important for ultimate survival.  Under the conflict paradigm, individuals are perceived as being made up of agreeable interests.

4-      Substantive justice involves the concept of just deserts, or how one determines a fair punishment for a particular offense; procedural justice concerns the steps we must take before administering punishment.

5-      Ethical relativism describes those moral systems in which what is good or bad changes, depending on the individual or group.

6-      The following terms are associated with the Golden Rule - “Do unto others as you would have them do unto you,” is echoed in Hinduism (“Do naught to others which, if done to thee, would cause thee pain: this is the sum of duty”), in Buddhism (“In five ways should a clansman minister to his friends and familiars . . . by treating them as he treats himself ”), in Confucianism (“What you do not want done to yourself, do not do unto others”), and in Judaism (“Whatsoever thou wouldest that men should not do unto thee, do not do that to them”) (Reiman, 1990: 147).

7-      The following is part of the Law Enforcement Code of Ethics: I recognize the badge of my office as a symbol of public faith, and I accept it as a public trust to be held so long as I am true to the ethics of the police service. I will constantly strive to achieve these objectives and ideals, dedicating myself before God to my chosen profession . . . law enforcement. 

8-       Gratuities are items of little value received by an individual because he or she asks for it while in uniform, and they have a personal relationship.   

9-      The argument of those who discuss noble-cause corruption is that officers are trained to employ unethical means to catch criminals because it is their policy to do so. This is an example of the ethical formalism viewpoint—“judge the motive or intent of the actor.”

10-  One problem with informants is that sometimes their reliability is highly questionable. Their rewards, whatever those might be, are contingent upon delivering some evidence of crime to law enforcement.

11-15 Multiple Choice Questions
20 possible points

1-      “There is a universal set of rights and wrongs that is similar to many religious beliefs, but there is no reference to a specific supernatural figure.”  This statement is associated with: a) Ethical Formalism;   b) Utilitarianism;  c) Natural Law;  d) Religious Ethics; 
e) Egoism

2-      The concept of “just deserts” is associated with:  a) Distributive Justice;  b) Commutative Justices;  c) Fairness Justice;  d) Just Desserts Justice;  e) Corrective Justice

3-      Enlightening Egoism differs from Psychological Egoism in the following manner: a) the objective is long-term welfare;  b) self-preservation;  c) self-satisfaction;  d) one’s survival;  e) personal happiness

4-      With the exception of _________ , the following Management Issues offers some possible solutions to police corruption:  a)  improved training;  b)  increased salary;  c)  morality;  d)  established civilian review boards;  e) elimination of unenforceable laws. 

5-      Which of the following may be viewed as a police brutality:  a) arresting an individual on an arrest warrant;  b) issuing a traffic citation for speeding;  c) slapping an individual who is handcuffed;  d) breaking down an entrance door to serve a search warrant;  e) accepting a free cup of coffee.
Category: Homework
Expert:  Chris M. replied 2 years ago.
THIS ANSWER IS LOCKED!
You can view this answer by clicking here to Register or Login and paying $3.
If you've already paid for this answer, simply Login.
Chris M., M.S.W. Social Work
Experience: Master's Degree, strong math and writing skills, experience in one-on-one tutoring (college English)
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
thanks so much!
Expert:  Chris M. replied 2 years ago.
You're welcome! Glad to help out!
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
i might have some more for you. I pay well. let me know!
Expert:  Chris M. replied 2 years ago.

Hello Customer,

Yes, I will be would be happy to have a look and see if it's something I can assist you with.