F. Naz
F. Naz, Chartered Accountant
Experience:  Experience with chartered accountancy

Iwasaki Inc. is considering whether to continue to make a component

Iwasaki Inc. is considering whether to continue to make a component or to buy it from an outside supplier. The company uses 13,000 of the components each year. The unit product cost of the component according to the company's cost accounting system is given as follows:

Assume that direct labor is a variable cost. Of the fixed manufacturing overhead, 30% is avoidable if the component were bought from the outside supplier. In addition, making the component uses 1 minute on the machine that is the company's current constraint. If the component were bought, this machine time would be freed up for use on another product that requires 2 minutes on this machine and that has a contribution margin of $5.20 per unit.
When deciding whether to make or buy the component, what cost of making the component should be compared to the price of buying the component?
Category: Homework
Expert:  F. Naz replied 2 years ago.
The relevant costs In this scenario are direct maerial, direct labor, if any other variable manfuacturing cost, 30% of fixed manufacturing overhead and opportunity cost of loosing contribution margin for not making another part and which is $5.2 per unit, but for this decision the 5.2/2 = $2.6 per unit to be taken, as the another components require 2 minutes to produce the product

Please do not hesitate to ask further and if you are satisfied do not forget to click on ACCEPT button so I get paid for my efforts, thanks.

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
so, what cost of making the component should be compared to the price of buying the component?
Expert:  F. Naz replied 2 years ago.
The cost of direct material, direct labor , variable manufacturing overheads, if any and 30% of avoidable manufacturing cost should be the part of cost of making the components. These costs are not given in the data you have provided. thanks.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Direct materials $8.80
Direct labor 5.80
variable manufacturing overhead 1.60
fixed manufacturing overhead 3.60

Unit product cost = $19.80

Expert:  F. Naz replied 2 years ago.
THIS ANSWER IS LOCKED!

You need to spend $3 to view this post. Add Funds to your account and buy credits.
F. Naz, Chartered Accountant
Experience: Experience with chartered accountancy