ResearchPro
ResearchPro, Tutor/College Instructor
Experience:  20+ Years Experience Tutoring/Teaching in Various Fields
12965337

Post a 250- to 300-word response to the following debate topic

Post a 250- to 300-word response to the following debate topic:

The United States must place high tariffs and use quotas to restrict trade with foreign countries.

· List at least 3 benefits from tariffs or quotas (debating in favor of the statement) AND 3 losses from tariffs or quotas (debating against the statement).

· Consider the following issues:

· The strength of the dollar on domestic and global economies
· Benefits from tariffs or quotas
· Losses from tariffs or quotas

· Include two APA references
A tariff is either a tax on imported goods or exported goods (trade tariffs), or in some cases a scheduled list of prices for transportation, utilities, etc. They play different roles in trade policy and economic history, especially in the United States. Often called customs or duties, they were the largest source of federal income from the 1780s to the early 1920s, when Income taxes surpassed those revenues. When used as an economic policy, tariffs not only supply income, but are often used by governments to protect certain businesses or industries, or to control trade between nations and encourage either non-competitive or underdeveloped industries so that they may be competitive on a global basis, thus eventually bringing in more revenue to the country. Tariffs can also be part of a country’s technological or political strategy: In 2002, for instance, the United States imposed a 30% tariff on a variety of steel products for three years, attempting to allow the U.S. Steel industry to recover and export more (Behind, the Steel, 2002). Similarly, countries like China and India use tariffs against the EU and United States to rapidly build their countries into a technological superpower, but causing an imbalance in global economics (Borrus and Cohen, 1997). There are, of course, pros and cons to tariffs and using tariff as policy:

Pro:

Protects domestic industries in the short-term, especially from unfair competition or subsidized industries.
Creates new jobs in host country, keeping intellectual and fiscal capital local.
Minimizes governmental expenses on social welfare and unemployment because more people are working.

Con:

Reducing tariffs on imports allows foreign companies to expand and makes it difficult on U.S. companies to compete.
Tends to discourage innovation and efficiency; consumers may pay a higher price for a particular good.
Foreign countries can then use tariff policies to tax goods being exported, causing problems for manufacturers.

REFERENCES

Behind the Steel-Tariff Curtain. (March 8, 2002). Bloomberg Businessweek. Retrieved from: http://www.businessweek.com/bwdaily/dnflash/mar2002/nf2002038_1478.htm

Borrus, M., and Cohen, S. (1997). Building China’s Information Technology Industry: Tariff Policy and China’s Accession to the WTO. UC Berkeley Roundtable on the International Economy. Retrieved from: http://brie.berkeley.edu/publications/WP105.pdf

Gwartney, J., et.al. (2010). Economics: Private and Public Choice. Mason, OH: Cenage. Pp. 380-90.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Thank you for answering this! However, is this a new answer or has it been use before? Thanks!
I am back on JA after completing another degree, so today is my first day back. I utilized the sources I showed you, plus my own notes. This is a new answer. I run everything through a plagiarism checker. here is the report:

Report Name:Tariff

Search type: Exact sentence match[Detection mode: Normal]

Folder name: JA

Plagiarism percentage: 0%

Date: Wednesday, Sep 28, 2011 18:35 PM
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Ok great!! Thank you!!
Please ask for me ANYTIME, my name is XXXXX XXXXX you will ALWAYS get 100% original work!
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Sounds great! I only have 2 weeks left in my class and I graduate so I'll definitely havensimething posted for you again soon. Is there anyway u can erase the answer you gave me so no one else sees it? I'm new to the site and still not sure how everything works! Lol
THIS ANSWER IS LOCKED!

You need to spend $3 to view this post. Add Funds to your account and buy credits.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
No, thank you Kelvin! I loil forward to working with you again soon!
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Kelvin,
I posted an assignment for you. I did not realize it was due last night :-( I'm already barely skimming by to pass this class and I have 1 week left!! Can you please find it and help????
Hi, remember, our work is not predicated on what your instructor says. I stopped what I was doing to complete that rough draft for you, and need to get paid for it. Please review so we can move forward. THANKS!