akch2002
akch2002, Engineer
Experience:  Home work expert
46493125

1. If a source of sound waves is rapidly approaching a person,

1. If a source of sound waves is rapidly approaching a person, the sound heard by the person appears to have A. a pitch lower than the original pitch. B. a frequency higher than the original frequency. C. a period higher than the original period. D. an amplitude lower than the original amplitude.

2. A wave front has the form of a A. straight line. B. circle. C. sine wave. D. surface of a sphere.

3. The number of waves that pass a particular point in a body in a unit of time is called the _______ of the waves. A. rarefaction B. compression C. frequency D. amplitude

4. The function of the eardrum in the middle ear is to A. amplify the received sound. B. carry the sound energy to the brain. C. collect the sound waves. D. vibrate with the frequency of the received sound.

5. Rarefaction occurs only in a _______ wave. A. forced. B. longitudinal. C. sympathetic. D. transverse.

6. The _______ of a sound wave is defined as the amount of energy passing through a unit area of the wave front in a unit of time. A. compression B. amplitude C. intensity D. frequency

7. If a wave hits a smooth surface at an angle of incidence of 40 degrees, the angle of reflection is A. 0 degrees. B. 80 degrees. C. 40 degrees. D. 90 degrees.

8. The change in pitch of a train's horn as it passes while you are standing still can be explained by A. ultrasonic vibrations. B. the Doppler effect. C. resonance. D. sympathetic vibration.

9. When a sound from a source is refracted away from the surface of the earth, it gives an indication that the A. air is cooler than the ground. B. wind is blowing in the direction of the sound. C. ground is cooling faster than the air. D. air has high humidity.

10. If a string vibrates at the fundamental frequency of 528 Hz and also produces an overtone with a frequency of 1,056 Hz, this overtone is the A. second harmonic. B. fourth harmonic. C. first harmonic. D. third harmonic.

11. Which one of the following environments will sound not travel through? A. Liquid B. Vacuum C. Gas D. Solid

12. In a transverse wave that travels through a medium, the molecules of the medium vibrate A. in the direction in which the wave travels. B. at right angles to the direction in which the wave travels. C. with smaller amplitudes than the molecules in a longitudinal wave. D. at twice the velocity of the molecules in a longitudinal wave.

13. In a stringed musical instrument, the part that vibrates in resonance with the sound waves produced by the strings is called the A. membrane. B. reed. C. sounding board. D. diatonic scale.

14. The wavelength of a wave is the distance between A. the rarefaction and the following compression. B. two consecutive crests. C. the amplitude and the normal position. D. the crest and the following trough.

15. During the process of steel production, the flaws in steel casting are detected by A. infrasonic vibrations. B. ultrasonic vibrations. C. longitudinal vibrations. D. resonant vibrations.

16. If a person is in front of a smooth surface from which a sound is reflected, the person would hear a sound that A. seems to come from behind the surface. B. has a higher pitch than the sound produced by the source. C. seems to lack overtones. D. has a higher intensity than the sound produced by the source.

17. Which of the following phenomena is taking place when sound waves are reflected from a surface along parallel lines? A. Focusing B. Refracting C. Absorption D. Diffusion

18. If two waves with equal amplitudes and wavelengths travel through a medium in such a way that a particular particle of the medium is at the crest of one wave and at the trough of the other wave at the same time, what will happen to that particle? A. The particle will cause beats as a result of the wave combination. B. The particle will move halfway to the crest due to reinforcement. C. The particle will remain stationary due to interference. D. The particle will vibrate with double amplitude due to resonance.

19. Which one of the following frequencies of a wave in the air can be heard as an audible sound by the human ear? A. 0.10 Hz B. 100,000 Hz C. 1,000 Hz D. 10 Hz

20. The distance from one molecule in a body to the nearest molecule in the body occupying a similar position and moving in the same direction is a A. refraction. B. compression. C. wavelength. D. rarefaction.

21. When the temperature of the air is 25°C, the velocity of a sound wave traveling through the air is approximately A. 347 m/s. B. 332 m/s. C. 320 m/s. D. 357 m/s.

22. The multiple reflection of a single sound wave is a/an A. reverberation. B. diffraction. C. echo. D. refraction.

23. If you were trying to build a soundproof room, which of the following materials would you choose in order to absorb the most sound? A. Heavy curtains B. Carpet C. Concrete D. Wood

24. A wave with a period of 0.008 second has a frequency of

A. 125 Hz.

B. 12.5 Hz.

C. 80 Hz.

D. 800 Hz.
Category: Homework
Expert:  akch2002 replied 3 years ago.

akch2002 :

What is deadline for replying these questions?

Customer:

Tonight if possible. =)

Expert:  akch2002 replied 3 years ago.
In 10 hours or so.
Expert:  akch2002 replied 3 years ago.
THIS ANSWER IS LOCKED!
You can view this answer by clicking here to Register or Login and paying $3.
If you've already paid for this answer, simply Login.
akch2002, Engineer
Experience: Home work expert