Brittany
Brittany, Professional
Experience:  AA/Accounting BS/Business
18128777

HCA 230 Due Saturday 9-3 Individual Communication for Marginalized

HCA 230 Due Saturday 9-3

Individual
Communication for Marginalized Populations Resource: Appendix E

Open the Marginalized Population Simulation at http://corptrain.phoenix.edu/axia/hca230/images/scenario_01.html and complete the activities as instructed on the Web site. Capture a screen shot of your Conclusion screen before exiting the simulation, and paste it to a Microsoft® Word document.

Write a 350- to 700-word response to the following questions below the screen shot:

• As the medical assistant, you worked with three different marginalized populations. Briefly describe each population and provide one communication tip for each.

• What would you say is the overall lesson from the simulation activity?

• How do you improve communication between caregivers and patients with low health literacy? Patients with disabilities? Children?

Post as a Microsoft® Word attachment.
Axia College Material
Appendix E
Marginalized Patient Populations
Caregiving for patients and their families is more than just executing the specifics of a position. You may be a nurse, a medical or x-ray technician, or a physician’s assistant, and studied and worked as an intern to perfect the skills in your field. Caregiving, however, also includes the development of a relationship with the patient, one that can be of short or long duration, but that requires compliance by the patient to follow a procedure or therapeutic regimen. This relies a lot on the patient’s perspective of the caregiver and whether or not the patient has confidence in the caregiver’s abilities.
Building Patient Relationships
An old general adage, not attributed to any specific author, states, ”What you are speaks so loudly, I cannot hear what you are saying.” Is it true, then, that one first assesses the patient just by a look and then a few words? If that is so, then the caregiver is missing the opportunity to learn the individual characteristics of a patient that can assist in maintaining a full therapeutic perspective to bring the patient back to good health.

To develop a bond with the patient, the caregiver must put forth a pleasant but authoritative face while assessing the scope of the patient’s health, demeanor, and social skills. This can be a daunting and unexpected experience because studying patient models in school is very different when stepping out into the real world and dealing with real patients.

There are several considerations. The first is to remember the scope of job responsibilities and to remain within the parameters of what you are supposed to do. If you are not the doctor, at no time should you make statements or innuendos related to diagnosis or treatment. This includes refraining from statements that question a doctor’s treatment or diagnosis, particularly to the patient, who may then become confused and question the integrity of their treatment. You are carrying out a specific role, and from the results of that action, the doctor will make a therapeutic judgment.

The second consideration is that not all patients will respond to what you have to say if their ethnic origin, age, or language skills impede comprehension. They require you to provide appropriate intervention and to help them understand. Leaving patients confused can cause unnecessary anxiety or stress. Consider family members as a good source of information if there is a language barrier.

Finally, there are patients who look undesirable and unpleasant. They may be feeble, indigent and living on the street, suffering from a condition such as AIDS or a mental disorder that makes them nearly unintelligible. Nevertheless, it is important to remember that looks can be deceiving; all patients deserve courtesy and respect.

Here are some of the objectives that govern these special considerations:

• Learn the characteristics that are exhibited by frightened, angry, or aggressive patients and how these conditions manifest themselves.
• Identify patients who have a psychosocial component to their problem, such as stress, anxiety, or depression.
• Visualize manifestations of these problems in children, the elderly, and patient family members.
• Address the appropriate therapeutic response through recognition and acceptance of the problem.
Fear
Fear is a gut-level response that can be triggered by past actions, memories, and experiences, or worry of the unknown. Fear may end when the current event is over, or it can exacerbate into a panic response in which the patient can actually faint or act out. You might be able to see this fear or panic from rapid body or eye movements, perspiration, or respiration. Some patients may want to hide their fear, making themselves sick from buried feelings. Some do not realize that their body is acting out.

Fear can be dealt with by understanding what the patient is going through and providing enough information so that the patient feels more in control. Act on his or her behalf and remain a calm, comforting influence.
Anger and Aggres
Category: Homework
Expert:  Brittany replied 3 years ago.

Brittany :

Hello Laurajoe, I will begin working on this for you and have it ready shortly.

Customer:

ok

Brittany :

Hi Laurajoe, Here is your answer: Please click here Thank you, Brittany

Brittany, Professional
Experience: AA/Accounting BS/Business