RopTeam
RopTeam, Bachelors Degree
Experience:  Business Analyst
12090234

Essay 4 Use Scenario 1 Writing Assignment, page 271 in the

Customer Question

Essay 4: Use Scenario 1 Writing Assignment, page 271 in the Roen text. Use the APUS Online Library ProQuest, LexisNexis, or Ebsco article databases to find a minimum of three sources for your essay. Integrate the sources using MLA format. Do not use the open web. All essays should be in MLA format, contain the student/teacher memo, and be between 500-750 words. Due Sunday. I need the rough draft by thursday. Email me dmcS42012@gmail for the access for the required database. Thanks
SCENARIO 1 An Academic Paper on Causes and Effects in One of Your Other College Courses Consider the topics that you are studying in your courses this semester that involve causes and effects. To complete this assignment, you must first decide which of those topics interests you and then come up with a question about that topic that will lead you to investigate causes and/or effects. Here are some possibilities: • Geology: What causes an earthquake? What are the effects of continental drift? • Music: How did hip-hop change popular music? What led to the development of jazz? • Art: How did the invention of the camera affect the kinds of painting that artists did in the nineteenth century? • Physics: What causes the lift that makes it possible for airplanes to ? y? Alternatively, you might consider some general cause-and-effect relationships that you have noticed in your college community, in a class, in a department, or on campus. For example, • College: Why does the cost of attending college always seem to increase? • Community: Why do some neighbors around the college resent having students rent homes nearby? • Classroom: Why do some students take so long to finish college?
Category: Homework
Expert:  RopTeam replied 3 years ago.

Toneemarie :

Hi there, did you select a topic? Looking forward to working with you, have a pleasant day o/

Customer :

hello, thank you for answering but i found another site that helped me.

Customer :

i do have another question though

Customer :

hello Toneemarie, this is my question.

Customer :

Analyzing a reading After reading the essay, answer the questions under "Composing Processes and Knowledge of Conventions: The Writer's Strategies" at the end of the essay. Your analysis should be at least 250 words. Name the essay you chose and use MLA format to cite specific examples from the essay in your response to the questions.

Customer :

ANNE APPLEBAUM

When Women Go to War

Anne Applebaum, a member of the Washington Post editorial board, writes a column that usually appears each Wednesday. Applebaum was born in Washington, D.C. She has a degree from Yale University and was a Marshall Scholar at the London School of Economics and St. Antony’s College, Oxford. She was awarded

the Charles Douglas-Home Memorial Trust award for journalism in the ex-Soviet Union in 1992. In 1996, her book Between East and West was given an Adolph Bentinck prize for European nonfi ction. This essay fi rst appeared as a column in the Post in 2003.

The argument about women in combat is over. In fact, it was over three years ago, when two female sailors were among the victims of the bombing of the USS Cole. Women had been serving aboard U.S. combat ships only since 1994, yet these deaths—the first time any female sailor had been killed in hostile action onboard—did not lead to a reversal of policy. No special outrage accompanied the sight of “women in body bags” being brought home for burial, as many had predicted, either then or during the 1991 Persian Gulf War. Now, as we fight a new Gulf war, women constitute nearly a sixth of the armed forces. More than 90 percent of service positions, including most combat positions, are open to women. Although these facts have been noted once or twice in recent days, they have provoked no special angst. Right now, women are flying helicopters, launching missiles and dropping bombs on Iraqi cities, and American civilization has not collapsed as a result. But if the argument about women in combat is over, the conversation about women in the military should not be—just as the conversation about women in the law, or in business, or in factories did not end when more women took those jobs. To see why, look no further than this week’s front pages, some of which feature the face of Army Spec. Shoshana Johnson, a POW in Iraq and the single mother of a 2-year-old. Johnson’s fate is heartbreaking, but it is not entirely unique. Johnson’s child is one of tens of thousands who have been left behind while their mothers—or their mothers and their fathers—go off to war. Is there anything wrong with that? That is, is there anything wrong with the fact that Johnson was where she was when she was, “in harm’s way,” as the Army puts it? Some think not. Carolyn Becraft, assistant secretary of the Navy in the Clinton administration, puts the case like this: “This is a volunteer military. Everyone who stays is there of their own free will. This is their job. These are the conditions of their employment. If they have children, they still have to be available for worldwide deployment.” Official policy is no different, and no wonder. After the long struggle for acceptance, higher-ranking women in particular loathe the idea of treating mothers and fathers differently. Dig a little deeper, though, and the angst is palpable. Very far off the record, one high-ranking Pentagon official admits to being deeply disturbed by photographs of women hugging their babies before leaving for war. “We’re the United States of America. How can we ask a young woman to leave her infant?” A military women’s Web site burns with acrimony. “My husband is on a ship already and we are overseas. I have no one to care for my child if we are both underway,” writes one. Another has no sympathy: “As a childless single woman working hard to cover up the slack that foolish pregnant women like you give the military, I and others have every right to be mad.” The awareness of a stereotype—that women get pregnant on ships in order to be sent home—leads another to describe the “shame” she felt after a planned pregnancy led to her discharge from the Navy and to write of how she longs, once again, “to serve my country with pride.” Should she be able to? In civilXXXXX XXXXXfe, it would be easy. Whereas many among the first generation of female lawyers, like the first generation of female fighter pilots, took two-week maternity leaves or refused to have children at all, those in the second generation—my generation—happily take off a year, or fi ve years, or work three days a week indefinitely. This isn’t because younger women have sold out, but because they, and the working world, have made a series of imperfect compromises. Women give up some seniority, and sometimes some money. In exchange, they get some time. Many, if not all, find this a fair compromise. It is in this sense that the military now needs to catch up to the civilian world, to make that same generational shift. The American military offers its enlisted men and women enormous choices of training and education. Why shouldn’t they also be offered the chance to take a

few years off, and then to reenlist, with no stigma attached? The military takes dozens of factors into consideration when it deploys people. Why shouldn’t single mothers be deliberately kept out of harm’s way? Military traditions make some of these questions starker and harder than they would be in civilXXXXX XXXXXfe, but it doesn’t make them illegitimate. In fact, it is only when the armed forces are comfortable enough with women to treat them differently, and only when military mothers are comfortable enough to be treated differently, that we will know they have truly arrived.

Customer :

here is the question

Customer :

Composing Processes and Knowledge of Conventions:

The Writer’s Strategies

1. How successfully has Applebaum used logos, pathos, and ethos? How

might she have used any of these three appeals more convincingly?

2. Where does Applebaum address counterarguments, and how does she

do so? How effective is she in doing this?

Customer :

i need this before 23 aug 11. thank you

Expert:  RopTeam replied 3 years ago.
What Happens Now?

Your chat has ended, but you can still work with your Expert to get an answer to your question if you have not yet received one.

Come back to this page at any time to see additional information from your Expert.  You will also receive an email when your question is updated.  If you want to send a message to your Expert, use the box below.

If you have already received a satisfactory answer to your question, click the Accept button above.  Experts are credited for each accepted answer they provide.
Expert:  RopTeam replied 3 years ago.

Hi I can answer your new question will post Monday or sooner.

thanks

tm

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Hello Tm. Thanks.
Expert:  RopTeam replied 3 years ago.

Hi, I forgot you changed the question.

Finishing the discussion questions for Applebaum.

tm

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
hello Tm,
i can't access the link you have given me. it is giving me an error
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

i googled on why i cant go to mediafire.com but i dont have any luck, i am here in england and not sure if that make a difference since i have a british internet provider. time difference sux too since you probably sleeping right now. is there any other way i can get the file. i tried switching browser to firefox/cleared cache/restart computer/turn off anti virus/ still did not work. i think mediafire is block in this country

Expert:  RopTeam replied 3 years ago.
THIS ANSWER IS LOCKED!

You need to spend $3 to view this post. Add Funds to your account and buy credits.
RopTeam, Bachelors Degree
Experience: Business Analyst
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
i got it, but i need the essay in MLA format please
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
i did more searching, i think mediafire is under maintenance. not sure when it is going to be finish
Expert:  RopTeam replied 3 years ago.

Hi which style guide?

The cites and references are MLA format 2010.

tm

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Sorry. I was confused on my own question. Evrything looks good. Thank yo tm
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
hello Tm, here is another question.I need a response in depth to two of my peers essay, and due by Sunday.
Instruction:You should review the Writer's Workshop questions as well. The more specifically you can answer these questions, the better. For example, you may say "Your paper is confusing". That helps some but it is much more helpful to say something more specific, like "I was confused by paragraph two of your paper. How does this paragraph connect to the main idea?" I need it in an essay format for the response instead of answering each question, more of like you commenting about their essay. Preferably 300-500 word response.
Responding to Full Drafts
Here are the questions for peer review:

Write a brief narrative comment outlining your first impression of this
draft. How effective is the title at drawing you in? Why? What are
your overall suggestions for improvement? What part(s) of the text are
especially persuasive? What reasons could use more support? Indicate
what you like about the draft, and provide positive and encouraging
feedback to the writer.
• Comment on the writer’s focus. Does the paper wander a bit? If so,
indicate where.
• Comment on how convincing you found the paper. Explain, in a brief
paragraph, how much you were persuaded by the paper.
• Comment on the effectiveness of the introduction. What suggestions can
you make to improve it?
• What is the author’s thesis or main claim? Could it be expressed or
supported more effectively? If so, how?
• Are there parts that are confusing? Where would you like more details or
examples to help clarify the writer’s meaning?
• How accurate and appropriate is the supporting evidence? Has the writer
included questionable statistics or concepts? How clearly does the author
indicate the sources of statistics and other supporting evidence that may
not be common knowledge?
• Might visuals such as charts, tables, photographs, or cartoons strengthen
the writer’s case and make the text more convincing?
• How clearly and effectively does the writer present any opposing points of
view? How might this presentation be improved? How effectively does the
writer answer opposing viewpoints? How might the writer acknowledge,
concede, and/or refute them more effectively?
• How well has the writer demonstrated an awareness of readers’
knowledge, needs, and/or expectations? How might the writer
demonstrate greater awareness?
• How carefully has the writer avoided logical fallacies?
• Reread the conclusion. What could be added or changed to make it more
effective? How well does it tie everything together? If action is called for,
to what extent does it make you want to take action?

Posted by Chelsae Wetherbee Thu Aug 25 00:02:24 2011.
Message:

I believe that Applebaum was successful in her persuasive essay. Anne Applebaum used mostly pathos and ethos. I would have liked to have seen more logos in Anne Applebaum’s column. I am general not sold easily on pathos. For example, she used this phrase(Applebaum 2003) Right now, women are flying helicopters, launching missiles and dropping bombs on Iraqi cities, and American civilization has not collapsed as a result(pg.200) This does not give the reader hard facts, it is just her opinion. If Applebaum’s column would have been more convincing had she added more logos, with the extra logos it would have made the column more solid. Although the author used some ethos, I think that if she used more it would have been a little more convincing. You can tell that the author wanted the readers to feel bad for the women, yet at the same time she used what great things that woman provide for the military. At first you wonder if she feels proud for the women or that she feels that they should stay home with their children. This is also where I can see the counterarguments for this essay. She wants the readers to believe one thing and another thing at the same time. In the beginning she writes the history of woman serving in the military but towards the end she changes to how some women get pregnant just to get out and stay with their children, this can be seen as dishonorable service to the country.
Work Cited
Applebaum, A. (2003). When woman go to war [pp.200-201]. (Adobe Digital Editions Version), Retrieved from http://mhlearningsolutions.com/cs/cs.php

Posted by GREGORY CALLIER Wed Aug 24 23:54:22 2011.
Message: The article that I chose to analyze is “The Objectification of Women: Whose Fault is it?” The evidence that is presented by Santi Derosa is somewhat convincing. He supplied some information that can lead you to believe that women at Arizona State University are being portrayed as sex objects. DeRosa quotes reporter XXXXX XXXXX as saying, “Thirty-five of thirty-seven student recruiters are females.” He also states that ASU is recruiting female recruiters every year to help bring in football players to help build their football program. DeRosa also included information about other colleges using females as recruiters for football. He also makes a valid point about the ASU coaches utilizing female recruits because other schools do it as well. I think if DeRosa would have interviewed some of the ASU football players about how they were recruited as far as the kind tactics or methods used on them; it would help support his claim of ASU women being used as sex objects. Other supporting information in this article that he provided is the number of female recruits at Louisiana (55) and Alabama (100).
DeRosa started his essay by draw his audience in by making it personal when he talks about his mother sister, wife, and nieces who could be looked at as objectifications. He then talks about how objectification of women plays a role when they are picked to be cheerleaders, video dancers, and in beer commercials based on their looks. By utilizing this organizational method, DeRosa was very effective in spelling out the views of society. I think if he could have interviewed some producers or cheer judges on what they look for in choosing these women would have been great for paper. I felt this article was strong enough to open the eyes the public as what is going on with objectification of women.

Works cited

XXXXX, XXXXX. “Risky Behavior Not Policed in ASU Football Recruiting.” The State Press. 9 Dec.2002: 1-2.3 Feb.2003 http://www.asuwebdevil.com/main.cfm?include=detail & storyid= 339775.

Expert:  RopTeam replied 3 years ago.

Hi, I responded to your other post. This is the same as the new question right?

thanks

tm

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
yes, for some reason i fitted all my question here, but it is the same one as the other one. thanks Tm
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
any status on this? thanks
Expert:  RopTeam replied 3 years ago.

HI should post before 1030 pm. You did not give the writers title? Which is needed for first question.

thanks

tm