Chris M.
Chris M., M.S.W. Social Work
Experience:  Master's Degree, strong math and writing skills, experience in one-on-one tutoring (college English)
22285537

1. In the first major pioneering movement, settlers made

1. In the first major pioneering movement, settlers made their way to Oregon and California by way of the _______ Trail.

A. Overland
B. Oregon
C. Kearny
D. Cumberland

----------------2. Which of the following is associated with the development of chain stores?

A. R. H. Macy
B. John Wanamaker
C. Marshall Field
D. F. W. Woolworth

-----------------3. Which of the following statements is true regarding the construction of the transcontinental railway?

A. Most workers on the Central Pacific leg of the railway were Chinese.
B. The Sierra Nevadas were the most difficult obstacle for the Union Pacific Railroad.
C. Construction began in Omaha, Nebraska, in 1863 and in Sacramento, California, in 1865.
D. Most workers for the Union Pacific Railroad were Chinese.

---------------4. Which of the following statements about John D. Rockefeller is most accurate?

A. He considered competition to be the central ideal of capitalism.
B. He founded the Standard Oil Company when he was 24 years old.
C. He drilled the first oil well near Titusville, Pennsylvania.
D. He invented the concept of vertical integration

-----5. The National _______ Act of 1902, provided proceeds from the sale of public lands for the construction of dams, canals, and irrigation systems in sixteen Western states.

A. Reclamation
B. Development
C. Recovery
D. Land Grant

--------------6. Which of the following was true of the Know-Nothing party?

A. It focused on containing the expansion of slavery.
B. It gained the widespread support of new immigrants.
C. It wanted to undermine immigrant voting strength.
D. It rejected nativism.

--------------7. In the later phases of the Civil War, General __________, running for president against Lincoln, declared that he would not make emancipation a condition of reconstruction.

A. McClellan
B. Sherman
C. Longstreet
D. Meade

---------------8. Which of the following statements about President XXXXX XXXXX is true?

A. He was well educated, but he was a poor stump speaker.
B. He defended the planter aristocracy.
C. He was raised under conditions of extreme poverty.
D. He was impeached and forced from office

-------------9. Which of the following labor activists founded the American Federation of Labor?

A. William Sylvis
B. Samuel Gompers
C. Terence Powderly
D. Uriah Stephens

---------------10. In 1876, the first separate graduate school was established

A. at Harvard by Charles W. Eliot.
B. at Johns Hopkins University.
C. by the Morrill Land Grant Act.
D. at Radcliffe

---------------11. After Lincoln "fired" George McClellan, his successor, General _______ proved himself an equally inept commander at the Battle of Fredericksburg.

A. Burnside
B. Johnston
C. Meade
D. Hooker

--------------12. The richest discovery in the history of mining occurred in 1873. This so-called "Big Bonanza" made _______ the richest man in the world.

A. Henry Sutter
B. John Mackay
C. Henry Comstock
D. John Placer

---------------13. If you were a reform-minded person who, above all, loathed the social problems associated with alcohol, you would have been especially sympathetic to the

A. WCTU.
B. Comstock Law.
C. evangelical efforts of Dwight L. Moody.
D. Mugwumps.

--------------14. In 1866, the Sioux Chief Red Cloud ambushed and massacred Union soldiers in an incident that would be referred to as the _______ Massacre.

A. Chivrington
B. Little Big Horn
C. Wounded Knee
D. Fetterman

---------15. A series of legislative acts passed under the Grant administration in 1870 and 1871 authorized federal protection for black suffrage through the use of the Army against the Ku Klux Klan. Together, these were known as the _______ Acts.

A. Klan
B. Grant
C. Reconciliation
D. Force

------------16. If you were one of the new immigrants who arrived in America in the 1880s, it's most likely that you would have been

A. Italian and Catholic.
B. German and Lutheran.
C. Irish and Protestant.
D. Swedish and Protestant

-------------17. The Wilmot Proviso was a proposed amendment to a military appropriations bill that would

A. establish slavery in the territories acquired from Mexico.
B. regulate competition between free and slave states.
C. ban slavery in territories acquired from Mexico.
D. permit the slavery issue to be determined by popular sovereignty.

----------------18. At the outset of the secessionist movement in the South, which state defeated the cooperationist argument that the South should act as a unit?

A. Mississippi
B. Virginia
C. Kentucky
D. South Carolina

--------------19. As ratified in 1870, the _______ Amendment prohibited any state from denying the vote to any male citizen on account of race, color, or previous condition of servitude.

A. Thirteenth
B. Fourteenth
C. Fifteenth
D. Sixteenth
Category: Homework
Expert:  Chris M. replied 3 years ago.

Hello, and thanks for the question.

I'll post the answers to these shortly.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
ok thanks
Expert:  Chris M. replied 3 years ago.
THIS ANSWER IS LOCKED!
You can view this answer by clicking here to Register or Login and paying $3.
If you've already paid for this answer, simply Login.
Chris M., M.S.W. Social Work
Experience: Master's Degree, strong math and writing skills, experience in one-on-one tutoring (college English)