Chris M.
Chris M., M.S.W. Social Work
Experience:  Master's Degree, strong math and writing skills, experience in one-on-one tutoring (college English)

1.Although not universally accepted among professionals, educational

1.Although not universally accepted among professionals, educational programs for the gifted are often partially based on the assumption that:

A. creativity is more important than intelligence.
B. extremely bright children are at risk for psychological problems.
C. all children are gifted in some way.
D. gifted children are self-educators.

2. If you say that an IQ test is invalid, you are claiming that the test

A. is not appropriate for individuals with lower intelligence.
B. scores are changing over the course of an individual's life span.
C. scores predictions are limited to school success.
D. does not really measure intelligence.

3.In order to be stored in short-term memory, information must be

A. decoded.
B. retrieved.
C. encoded.
D. consolidated.

4. George Sperling flashed three rows each containing four letters on a screen and asked participants to recall the letters in one of the rows. What were the conclusions from this study?

A. The sensory register has a capacity of 1 to 2 items.
B. Short term memory has a capacity of 3 to 4 items.
C. Participants can only process a few items in the short time the stimuli were available.
D. Information is lost very quickly from the sensory register.

5. Once we focus on the relevant bits of information in the sensory register, they get transferred to

A. another sensory register.
B. short-term memory.
C. permanent memory.
D. long-term memory.

6. When a baby is born, he shows no preference for foods other than mother's milk or formula. Soon after the introduction of new foods, however, the baby shows a preference for fruits and vegetables. This new preference is an example of

A. instinct.
B. learning.
C. maturation.
D. insight.

7.As he gets older, an all-star baseball batter's ability to quickly react is lost. Why is this loss NOT considered to be the result of learning?

A. The loss occurs over too long a period of time.
B. The loss is too gradual and learning is rapid by comparison.
C. The loss is the result of biological, not experiential factors.
D. Learning always involves a gain, not a loss, of behavior.

8.Johnny was playing on his swing set when a semi truck blasted its horn on the street directly in front of him. Johnny was so startled that he fell off the swing and skinned his knee. Now Johnny gets scared every time he hears a truck. This is an example of

A. punishment.
B. classical conditioning.
C. negative reinforcement.
D. operant conditioning.

9.In order to encourage the association between two stimuli, a researcher should

A. give subjects plenty of time between the stimuli so that they can try to remember their association.
B. only pair the stimuli once or twice so the subjects won't get bored.
C. make sure the subjects are told that the two stimuli are associated.
D. pair the stimuli many times and keep the time between presentations of the stimuli short.

10.Professor Den Hartog advises his class to "get a good night's sleep" prior to midterm examination. How will this help Professor Den Hartog's students with test performance?

A. If they sleep with the books under their pillows, they will subliminally retain small amounts of information.
B. They may actually dream about some of the answers to test questions.
C. Any information visually processed can be imprinted in the brain, similar to photographic memories.
D. REM sleep facilitates consolidation of newly learned material.

11.The first systematic study of dreams was conducted by

A. Mary Whiton Calkins.
B. Sigmund Freud.
C. XXXXX XXXXX.
D. Rip Van Winkle.

12. Which of the following disorders has two potential causes, problems with brain signals and excessive relaxation of the throat muscles?

A. sleep apnea
B. narcolepsy
C. sleeptalking
D. insomnia

13.Excessive snoring is associated with

A. insomnia.
B. narcolepsy.
C. sleep apnea.
D. sleep-wake cycle disorder.

14."Time seemed to have stopped. I was somehow everywhere, yet nowhere. I can't really put it into words, but I felt I was at peace. I felt I was in touch with the totality of reality." The person making these statements probably just experienced a

A. dream.
B. altered state of consciousness.
C. hallucination.
D. delusion.
Category: Homework
Expert:  Chris M. replied 3 years ago.
THIS ANSWER IS LOCKED!
You can view this answer by clicking here to Register or Login and paying $3.
If you've already paid for this answer, simply Login.
Chris M., M.S.W. Social Work
Experience: Master's Degree, strong math and writing skills, experience in one-on-one tutoring (college English)