Experienced Teacher
Experienced Teacher, Teacher
Experience:  10 Years secondary Social studies, AP US History, Graded for College Board AP essays,
11991641

Question 10 In pea plants, the allele for purple flowers

Customer Question

Question 10
In pea plants, the allele for purple flowers (P) is dominant to the allele for white flowers (p). In a cross between a purple-flowered plant and a white-flowered plant, all 73 of the offspring plants had purple flowers. Which of the following most likely describes the cross?
Answer
pp x pp
Pp x Pp
PP x Pp
PP x pp

Question 11
Both of Susie’s parents died from breast cancer. Susie tested positive for the BRCA1 gene, the BRCA2 gene, and HPV; however, she does not have any cancer cells in her body or any signs or symptoms. Susie just called you and told you that she has decided to undergo a double radical mastectomy to remove both of her breasts and a complete hysterectomy to remove her ovaries, uterus, and cervix. Susie is 29 years old, has no children, and is not married. She is extremely scared. She was on her cell phone when she called and lost her signal. What will your advice be for Susie when she calls you back? Make sure you back up your advice with supporting evidence. You can use outside sources – just make sure you cite them in correct APA format for in-text citations and include the full reference in a list at the end of your answer in correct APA format.
Question 1
1. What is the primary body part affected by TB?

The liver

The brain

The lungs

The immune system
Question 2
1.
Which of the following levels of classification contains members that are the most similar?

Kingdom

Family

Genus

Phylum
Question 3
1. Which of the following groups are in order from broadest to most narrow?

Class, order, family

Kingdom, genus, phylum

Species, genus, family

Order, species, genus
Question 4
1. Who proposed a mechanism for evolution similar to natural selection?

Charles Lyell

Aristotle

Alfred Wallace

Jean Baptiste Lamarck
Question 5
1. A group of organisms that can regularly breed together and produce fertile offspring are a __________.

population

family

species

community
Question 6
1. What is a primary source for new and unique genes in a population?

Mutation

Natural selection

Artificial selection

Crossing over

Question 7
1. Why were Darwin's ideas so widely accepted by scientists of his day?

Darwin was from a very rich and powerful family.

His ideas were the same as what most people already believed.

People trusted Darwin because he was also a physician and minister.

Darwin presented extensive evidence from many areas of biology to support his ideas.
Question 8
1. Evolution simply means __________.

mutation

change

selection

get better
Question 9
1. In the diagram below, what can you conclude about the evolution of the cat family?

The common ancestor of cheetah and jaguars is different than the common ancestor of cheetahs and leopards.

Since the split for a common ancestor, domestic cats have evolved separately from cheetahs and leopards.

All modern cats evolved independently from each other.

The common ancestor of domestic cats and pumas existed more recently than the common ancestor of pumas and cheetahs.
Question 10
1. A few cells of a resistant strain of Tuberculosis (TB) survive treatment and reproduce into a new population of resistant TB. This is an example of __________.

natural selection

altruism

mutation

speciation
Question 11
The theory of natural selection has been applied to human culture in many different realms. For instance, there is a general belief in the United States that “survival of the fittest” determines which people are rich and which people are poor. How are the forces that produce differences in wealth among individuals like natural selection? How are they different? Make sure you explain your answer, and make sure you support your thoughts and opinions with references and citations.
Question 12
1. Some scientific studies suggest that humans and chimps share as much as 98.7% of their DNA. Scientists have determined that humans and chimps are more similar to each other genetically than organisms in the same species. Since they are so similar, do you think it would be useful to use chimps as stand-ins for humans during scientific research? Or, since they are so similar, do we have a moral obligation not to use them in research? Make sure you explain your answer, and make sure you support your thoughts and opinions with references and citations.

Question 1
1. What are fossil fuels?

Timber from old-growth forests

Partially decomposed dinosaurs

Carbon-rich remains of plants and microorganisms

Underground deposits of carbon dioxide
Question 2
1. The concentration of chemicals within higher levels of a food chain or food web is called:

pesticide treadmill.

double fertilization.

leaching.

biomagnifications.
Question 3
1. The carbon dioxide you exhale in your breath comes from __________.

cellular respiration

photosynthesis

fermentation

anaerobic respiration
Question 4
1. The Earth obtains most of its energy from:

water movement.

air movement.

the sun.

weather patterns.
Category: Homework
Expert:  Experienced Teacher replied 3 years ago.
THIS ANSWER IS LOCKED!
You can view this answer by clicking here to Register or Login and paying $3.
If you've already paid for this answer, simply Login.