1. At the beginning of World War II, Roosevelt dealt with France
A. by seeking an alliance with French Algeria.
B. through negotiations with the Vichy Government.
C. by supporting the Free French under Charles de Gaulle.
D. by joining with the British in an assault on North Africa.
2. During Lyndon Johnson's presidency, which of the following legislative or executive measures banned literacy tests?
A. The establishment of the Office of Economic Opportunity
B. The Voting Rights Acts of 1965
C. The Civil Rights Act of 1964
D. The Medicare Act
3. Which of the following is true of the Truman Doctrine?
A. It ended the policy of containment.
B. It created the North Atlantic Treaty Organization.
C. It amounted to an informal declaration of Cold War.
D. It established the Marshall Plan.
4. Which of the following is true of the Supreme Court's decision in Brown v. Board of Education of Topeka?
A. It established that all citizens should have access to public education.
B. It ruled that desegregation was a state issue, but that segregation was a federal issue.
C. It declared that segregated schools were inherently separate and unequal.
D. It ruled that segregation should proceed with "all deliberate speed."
5. To establish the Intermediate Nuclear Forces Treaty, Reagan negotiated with
7. After Hitler came to power in 1933, he blamed Germany's defeat in World War I on
A. Communists and Socialists.
B. Jews and Gypsies.
C. Communists and American imperialists.
D. Jews and Communists.
8. The political purpose of the Taft-Hartley Act of 1947 was to
A. impose regulations on the steel industry.
B. strengthen the Wagner Act.
C. roll back the provisions of the Wagner Act.
D. implement NSC-68.
10. Which of the following statements is true regarding the Korean War?
A. Stalin was outraged by the North Korean attack on South Korea.
B. The Chinese armed and trained the North Korean army.
C. Stalin approved the North Korean attack in advance.
D. Both Stalin and Mao expected the American response to the invasion.
11. What incident abroad marked the election day of the 1956 election, thereby enhancing Eisenhower's bid for a second term?
A. The French defeat in Indochina
B. The resolution of the Suez crisis
C. An attack on U.S. Marines in Beirut
D. The crisis in the Formosa Straits
13. Under Franklin Roosevelt's Good Neighbor policy,
A. the collective security among the nations of the Western Hemisphere declined.
B. Cordell Hull favored continued military interventions in Latin America.
C. American commerce with Latin America increased, but only slightly.
D. the Platt Amendment was rescinded.
15. Which of the following was true of Nixon's presidency?
A. It resisted affirmative-action legislation.
B. It oversaw the establishment of the Environmental Protection Agency.
C. It shifted responsibility for welfare programs from the states to the federal government.
D. It tried to overthrow Johnson's Great Society agenda.
16. In a free election in 1989, Lech Walesa came to power in A. Hungary.
C. East Germany.
17. Following on the successful activism of Cesar Chavez, Mexican American youths began to refer to themselves as
C. Los Barrios.
D. Los Hombres.
18. Which of the following was the primary cause of the Balkan Wars conducted during the Clinton administration?
A. Muslim activism in Bosnia
B. The rise to power of Slobodan Milosevic in Serbia
C. The breakup of the former state of Yugoslavia
D. The UN peacekeepers' inability to stem ethnic cleansing
19. Which of the following statements about Truman's Fair Deal is true?
A. It was reluctantly passed by Congress.
B. It repealed the New Deal.
C. It called for national medical insurance.
D. It was Truman's response to the Soviet's Sputnik.