Scott
Scott, MIT Graduate
Experience:  MIT Graduate (Math, Programming, Science, and Music)
3546829

Data Analysis with Spreadsheets w/Lab (TCO 9, 2, 3, 7) You

Customer Question

Data Analysis with Spreadsheets w/Lab
(TCO 9, 2, 3, 7) You currently work for a Computer Training Center. Your company is growing, and is considering expansion.
The company currently has three locations (A, B and C cities) in one state, and wants to consider expanding within the same state. You have been presented with the sales figures for the last three years for each of your locations. Based on this information, you're tasked with analyzing current sales.
You have decided to investigate the trend in sales over the past three years. Respond fully to the following questions regarding this task:

A - The data has been provided to you in the form of tab delimited .text file. what steps you will take to assure the data is usable and ready for analysis.

B -Explain, based on material covered in this class, your approach to setting up your worksheet, formatting and organizing the data.

C - Explain how you will visually represent the data for the sales of the individual locations and for the time period shown. You want to show the change in sales for each location over time for the past three years.
D - Once you have finished the above tasks, you plan to send the Excel workbook to your boss for evaluation. Your boss is not an Excel expert, and you are concerned that your formulas might accidentally be deleted or altered.
Describe the methods you will use to assure that this does not happen.

2. (TCO 4, 8, 7, 6) You own a small computer service company with only 2 employees. You provide different types of services to regular customers and companies. You have noticed an increase of demand for troubleshooting and support of mobile devices. However, you only support desktop, laptop, networking, and printing devices. Your current staff doesn't have the skills or experience to troubleshoot this type of devices such as mobile phones (iPhone, Android), tablets, or eBook readers.
You have kept a log of each of these inquiries for "mobile device" troubleshooting and support. The list includes the type of device, issue, and customer's name. You feel this is an opportunity for your business and you want to make sure you can serve your customers well and expand your services.

A - Explain how you will use Excel to find out how much support you have been inquired for mobile devices. Include how to identify the number of devices per customer. Be specific.
B - You wish to survey your customers to find out what type of devices they own and their needs. To accomplish this you have created a survey and you must send it via mail to more than 50 customers. However, you dread hand addressing the envelopes. Explain how you might use Excel to make this go faster.
C - If you get the results you expect to get from contacting your customers, you want to be able to do this every month. Explain how you might use Excel to automate the process of separating your list as you did in Part A.
D - You are anticipating your man hours will increase by 20 percent over the next month for every 15 customers your support. You need to hire new employees so you want to gauge the impact on your workforce by including 30, 40, or 50 clients as part of your new strategy. Explain how you might evaluate this using your Excel tools.

3. (TCO 1, 2, 4) your brother owns his own company that builds and sells iron tomato cages. He has asked you to create a spreadsheet that will help him calculate the expense associated with selling his tomato cages. Your brother currently has two employees and is considering increasing the hours they both work.

The time it takes to make the three different sizes of a tomato cage is 10 min for a small, 15 min for a medium, and 20 min for a large. Currently his two employees make 50 of each size cage on their 5 hour shift. Your brother would like to increase that number to 100. He needs to know how many more hours he would have to have his two employees work to accomplish this. Respond fully to the following questions regarding this task:

A –Explain how you will structure the worksheet, including the titles, column headings, and formulas to calculate the time it takes to make each size of cage.
B –Employees currently work 5 hours a day. During those 5 hours each employee is given two 10 min coffee breaks and a 30 min lunch break. Describe how you will set up the worksheet to reflect the number of hours available to work on each tomato cage.
C –You want to set up the worksheet to automatically highlight the number of hours needed to build each size of cage to meet the goal. Green for small, blue for medium, and orange for large
D –You want to provide your brother with a list of options so he can select the best approach to increasing his production. You need to generate the list of options from your worksheet. Explain how you might do this. (Points: 40)

4. (TCO 1, 5, 3) You have just been hired as the scheduling and maintenance manager at the Bradley Flying club. The Bradley flying club is an organization that rents out private aircraft to licensed pilots on an hourly, daily or weekly basis. As the scheduling and maintenance manager, it is your job to log the hours each airplane has flown, on what dates, and by which pilot. You will record the time used by the hours displayed on the Hobbs meter on the instrument panel, which records the hours the engine is running. You will also calculate the weekly cost of maintenance for each of the aircraft.
The Bradley Flying clubs makes the following aircraft available to its members: A 1973 Cessna 150; A 1995 Cessna 182 and a 1978 Piper Arrow. The hourly rental cost of the Cessna 150 is $80; the Cessna 182 is $95 and the Piper Arrow is $117. The cost to provide routine maintenance on each aircraft is a fixed hourly cost of $185. For every nine hours of flying time, one hour of maintenance is required. You will record this information on a separate worksheet for each aircraft.
The flying club is normally very busy during the week with aircraft being checked out several times daily and more often on weekends, which also increases maintenance time and costs. You want to use Excel to track the revenues received from the rentals and compare it to the cost of maintenance for profitability for each of the aircraft on a weekly basis.
Please respond in detail to the questions below to regarding this task:

A - You have decided to develop a worksheet for each aircraft with the rental hours flown and maintenance cost for submission each week to your boss. It should show total hours flown, total revenue and total maintenance costs for each aircraft for the week. If the maintenance cost for an aircraft exceeds 2 percent of the income from that aircraft, the deficit should show in red font.
B - You will calculate the totals on each worksheet for each aircraft and then you will produce the summary report. Explain the process for doing this. Give a sample formula that will total the revenue received from the Cessna 150 being flown for 48 hours minus the maintenance cost for the week.
C -Each week, you will present the combined report to your boss, who wants to see both the summary and the individual sheets for each aircraft. You want to add a header with the date and your name to each page. What is the easiest way to do this? Explain the process.
D - Describe the graph that you would create to accompany the report in Part C. Include formatting considerations to make important facts stand out.
(Points: 40)

5. (TCO 2, 10) You are employed by Investment and Savings Company as an investment specialist. The bank has begun a new marketing campaign aimed at account holders with substantial balances in their accounts. The goal of the campaign is to provide the select customers with investment incentives in an effort to grow the brokerage operations of the bank. As an investment specialist you are dedicated in building long-term relationships with your clients, and you want to be able to answer their questions quickly if they call after receiving the promotional information.
You process certificate of deposits (CDs) for the bank's preferred customers. The interest rate varies depending on the term of the deposit. The bank issues CDs for 12, 18, 36, 48, and 60 month terms. Once you know the term, you use the associated rate to calculate the estimated interest earned and create a comparison for your customers. Respond fully to the following questions regarding this task:

A - You have set up an Excel worksheet to determine the interest earned at the end of each term based on the customers deposit amount. It is set up so that you enter the amount of deposit, and it finds and returns the correct interest payment for each term at maturity. Based on this you are able to quickly tell the customer the difference in investment gain for each term. Describe the Excel tools used for these tasks, and the information required to obtain the interest payment for each term.
B - You would like to build a list of customers who have opened a CD. You know that this list will grow over time. However, you would like to start by adding the customer's personal information and CD account information. You want to be able to pull up a customer's account information by either their home address, or by phone number. Although this can be done using Excel, your IT department has recommended using a database such as Microsoft Access. What would be the benefit of doing this with a database instead of a spreadsheet and how would it meet your needs?

C -You want to use the Access form wizard to create an input form for your list. Describe the process of creating the form, and the special tools you might use to make it easier to use and less prone to errors.
D - You have decided that you would like to be able to pull a list of your clients with CD's due to mature within the next 30 days and attempt to get them to renew the term. Explain how you would obtain a list of CDs with maturity dates due in the next 30 days, and then print the information for your use in making these calls.
Category: Homework