Chris M.
Chris M., M.S.W. Social Work
Experience:  Master's Degree, strong math and writing skills, experience in one-on-one tutoring (college English)
22285537

1. The Western presence in Africa left a legacy that:

1. The Western presence in Africa left a legacy that: (Points: 5)
A. Was entirely negative.
B. Disappeared immediately when the colonial powers withdrew.
C. Was overwhelmingly positive in its impact.
D. Mixed, with both positive and negative results.

2. In terms of the chronology of decolonization, it is accurate to say that: (Points: 5)
A. The first black African nation to become independent was the Congo, called the Banana Coast.
B. The African National Congress became increasingly radical as its modest initial goals were
C. Rejected by white South African governments.
D. Ahmad a convinced Britain to proclaim Sudanese independence in 1988. Portugal left Angola in 1949.

3. Economic development in Africa has been difficult for all of the following EXCEPT: (Points: 5)
A. AIDS.
B. A declining population.
C. A too rapid population growth.
D. The vast differences between rural and urban Africans.

4. In Kenya: (Points: 5)
A. The population has been reduced, which has slowed economic growth.
B. The shortage of agricultural land forced Kenyans to migrate to Saudi Arabia to find better farmland.
C. The government of President Moi publicly praised the novelist Ngugi Wo Thiong’o and published his work in the Kikuyu language.
D. Capitalism is the dominant economic system.

5. In 1993, President de Klerk agreed with Nelson Mandela to implement: (Points: 5)
A. Immediate and total National Party control until the ANC had greater experience in governing such a diverse society.
B. A transitional period in which representatives of the National Party and the ANC would be cabinet members.
C. Democratic national elections.
D. A temporary dictatorship which combined representatives of both parties.

6. In African politics since 1980 all of the following have occurred EXCEPT: (Points: 5)
A. Wole Soyinka went into exile because of government hostility toward his writing.
B. The corrupt regime of Mobutu Sese Seko was overthrown in 1997.
C. Nigeria’s oil wealth has been dissipated by a series of corrupt dictatorships.
D. Most African states have experienced increasing economic prosperity.

7. All Israeli governments have been composed of coalitions of several political parties because: (Points: 5)
A. Of the diverse population and large area of the country.
B. The Knesset used the American electoral system.
C. The nation was composed of two sharply divided political parties.
D. The nation was composed of many political parties having diverse interests.

8. The hopes for a lasting Middle East peace after Camp David were never realized, in part because of: (Points: 5)
A. The 1981 assassination of Sadat by Jewish militants.
B. The refusal of many non-Islamic states to recognize Israel’s right to exist.
C. Israeli’s policy of establishing settlements in the occupied West Bank territories.
D. Ronald Reagan’s election as the United States president.

9. Which of the following statements is NOT true of the Islamic revival in the Middle East? (Points: 5)
A. Islamic "fundamentalism" may be a practical attempt to try to counter hedonism and other destabilizing forces.
B. It has resulted solely from a clash between modern and traditional ideas and values.
C. It has been fed by the reactions of the ulama to the impact of Western secularization.
D. The ideology of Iranian Shi’ite has caused its popularity to spread to Algeria and Egypt.

10. Which of the following is NOT correct about the economies of the Middle East? (Points: 5)
A. There is only a small amount of arable land.
B. Most of the most fertile agricultural land is owned by peasant farmers.
C. There is a lack of water in the region.
D. The Qur’an has little to say about economics.

11. All of the following are correct about Kashmir EXCEPT: (Points: 5)
A. A majority of the population in Hindu.
B. Most of the population is Muslim.
C. India controls most of Kashmir.
D. It has led to violence between India and Pakistan.

12. The new Indian government in 1947: (Points: 5)
A. Was based on that of the Soviet Union.
B. Had a powerful president, as Nehru was an admirer of the United States constitution.
C. Was based on the British system, with a figurehead president and a parliamentary form.
D. Barred only two groups, Sikhs and harijans, from voting.

13. Which of the following statements best characterizes the nature of India today? (Points: 5)
A. India, unlike China, has rejected its cultural traditions and adopted those of the West.
B. The majority of India’s population is part of a large and growing middle class.
C. India’s economy is a perfect model of the modern, successful socialist state.
D. India today is a nation of contrasts, with a majority of its population living in poverty.

Category: Homework
Expert:  Chris M. replied 3 years ago.
THIS ANSWER IS LOCKED!
You can view this answer by clicking here to Register or Login and paying $3.
If you've already paid for this answer, simply Login.
Chris M., M.S.W. Social Work
Experience: Master's Degree, strong math and writing skills, experience in one-on-one tutoring (college English)
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

I did very well on that assignment, thanks for all of your help!

Expert:  Chris M. replied 3 years ago.
You're very welcome! Hope to work with you again.