Chris M.
Chris M., M.S.W. Social Work
Experience:  Master's Degree, strong math and writing skills, experience in one-on-one tutoring (college English)
22285537

13. Which of the following statements is NOT true of the Brezhnev

13. Which of the following statements is NOT true of the Brezhnev years in the Soviet Union? (Points: 5)
Khrushchev was forced into retirement.
As a result of détente, there was a freer and more relaxed domestic atmosphere.
The economic policies continued to de-emphasize consumer goods production.
Agricultural problems continued to cause many difficulties.

14. The ethnic tensions that resulted as an unanticipated by product of glasnost were caused by: (Points: 5)
the encouragement of these feelings from the gulag.
a combination of the statement of long suppressed feelings as a result of new freedoms, the inability of the army to control the resulting violence.
the desire on the part of many ethnic minorities to retain the dominance of Communism throughout the Soviet Union.
the relaxation of Gorbachev’s iron grip on the Soviet system.

15. All of the following are true about events in Poland from 1980 to 1991 EXCEPT: (Points: 5)
mass public demonstrations caused significant changes in government policy.
huge rises in food prices helped to give rise to Solidarity.
by the end of 1990, the nation had freely elected a new president.
Soviet troops occupied the country in December 1990.

16. A leading Soviet writer of the 1950s and winner of the Nobel Prize was : (Points: 5)
Vaclav Havel.
Gennady Zhuganov.
Leo Tolstoy.
Boris Pasternak.

17. All of the following are correct about Mao’s Red Guards EXCEPT: (Points: 5)
in many instances, they brutalized their victims with impunity.
they were composed of discontented Chinese youth.
they received re-enforcements from Taiwan.
contained disgruntled party members.

18. The "fifth modernization" referred to in post Mao China was: (Points: 5)
land reform.
national defense.
democracy.
industry.

19. Chinese "communes" were: (Points: 5)
Communist Party committee cadres.
urban districts established by Mao Zedong.
the modern equivalent of the traditional cottage industries in pre modern China.
agricultural communities containing more than thirty thousand people.

20. For the Chinese Communist Party, culture was: (Points: 5)
seen as a unique resource which should be preserved and not changed.
valuable and valid for its own sake.
seen as an important instrument for indoctrination.
not to be used in the same way the Soviets had used it.
Category: Homework
Expert:  Chris M. replied 3 years ago.
THIS ANSWER IS LOCKED!
You can view this answer by clicking here to Register or Login and paying $3.
If you've already paid for this answer, simply Login.
Chris M., M.S.W. Social Work
Experience: Master's Degree, strong math and writing skills, experience in one-on-one tutoring (college English)