Chris M.
Chris M., M.S.W. Social Work
Experience:  Master's Degree, strong math and writing skills, experience in one-on-one tutoring (college English)

14. Which of the following statements is true (Points 3)

Customer Question

14. Which of the following statements is true? (Points : 3)
Adolescents who have had explicit sex education in school initiate sex at an earlier age than those who have not
The U.S. has a higher rate of adolescent pregnancies than other Western democracies
The vast majority of unintended pregnancies occur in adolescents
Teaching adolescents about the importance of abstinence will prevent most unintended pregnancies

15. Which of the following statements is not true? (Points : 3)
Tobacco smoke in the homes of smokers is harmful to children
Radon gas is a greater health threat in the homes of smokers than of non-smokers
Some common household products may be indoor air pollutants
Bacteria cannot cause disease by becoming air-borne

16. Cigarette smoking is known to be a major cause of death and disability from all of the following diseases except: (Points : 3)
cancer
heart disease
low birthweight
Alzheimer's disease

17. Which of the following statements about injuries is not true (Points : 3)
Injury mortality rates are higher in older age groups
Most injuries are not fatal
Most fatal injuries are preventable
Alcohol is a significant factor in over half of motor vehicle deaths

18. Which of the following statements is not true (Points : 3)
The most effective way to lose weight is to combine diet and physical activity
Vigorous exercise increases the risk of a heart attack
Almost one-third of American adults engage in no physical activity at all
Obesity in children is associated with time watching television.

19. Which of the following diseases is not known to be -- in part at least -- preventable by practicing healthy behavior? (Points : 3)
Alzheimer's disease
cardiovascular disease
cancer
diabetes

20. Which of the following statements about cancer is not true? (Points : 3)
Different kinds of cancer have different risk factors
Chemical carcinogens have the same effect in all species of animals
Most cancers are the result of mutations
Some cancers are caused by viruses

21. Which of the following statements is not true about rabies? (Points : 3)
An unvaccinated dog that is bitten by a rabid animal must be confined for six months or destroyed
Rabies is almost always transmitted by a bite of a rabid animal
Wild animals are the reservoir for rabies
Rabies is rare in humans because almost everyone is vaccinated.

22. Which of the following statements is true? (Points : 3)
All of the criteria air pollutants enter the air as the result of combustion
Smog in Los Angeles is worse now than it was in the 1960s
Bigger atmospheric particles are more damaging to lungs than smaller ones.
Ozone is harmful to health even when it is in the upper atmosphere

23. Which of the following statements is not true of occupational exposures? (Points : 3)
Workers are more likely to be exposed to large amounts of toxic chemicals than ordinary citizens.
Workers today are more likely to die of occupational diseases than workers of the past century
Some carcinogens were first recognized by finding clusters of cancer in workers exposed to them on the job
The Occupational Safety and Health Act empowered the federal government to set standards for occupational exposures

24. Which of the following statements is true? (Points : 3)
Scientists believe the world is due for an epidemic of influenza that could be a major killer
Most viral diseases can be effectively treated with common antibiotics such as penicillin
Viruses are much less likely than bacteria to be used in bioterrorism.
Viral diseases cannot spread from animals to humans.

25. To avoid false negatives in a screening program to detect breast cancer among women over 50 years of age, the test must be: (Points : 3)
Highly sensitive
Highly specific
Highly prevalent
Double blind

26. Which of the following interventions has proven most successful in reducing the prevalence of smoking among young people? (Points : 3)
Laws against selling tobacco to minors
Raising cigarette taxes
Bans on smoking indoors
Doctors’ recommendations

27. Which of the following is not a known teratogen? (Points : 3)

Rubella

Toxoplasmosis
Radiation
Tobacco

28. Which of the following statements is not true of the Food and Drug Association (FDA) (Points : 3)
The FDA is required to review evidence for the safety of new drugs
The FDA is required to review evidence for the safety of herbal medicines
The FDA regulates labeling of over-the-counter drugs
The FDA permits private contractors to review the safety of medical devices.

29. Which of the following statements is true of the BRFSS? (Points : 3)
It is conducted by interviewers from the
Category: Homework
Expert:  Chris M. replied 3 years ago.
THIS ANSWER IS LOCKED!
You can view this answer by clicking here to Register or Login and paying $3.
If you've already paid for this answer, simply Login.