Homework Girl
Homework Girl, Graduate Student
Experience:  10+ years of tutoring, BS in Biology and English, Current Chicago Examiner and Writer

Hi HW Girl, Im needing your assistance..... Post a 200-

Hi HW Girl, Im needing your assistance.....

• Post a 200- to 300-word response to the following: In your own words, summarize each of the major theories of biology.
• Choose one theory and provide an example of how this theory relates to the news today.
• Use at least one outside reference in addition to your text, cite references
Need by Tomorrow
Biology Is Integrated with Other Sciences
Generally, we think of the branches of science, such as physics, chemistry, geology, mathematics,
and biology, as distinct entities. Certainly what they study is different. Physics
deals with matter, energy, motion, and force. Chemistry deals with matter and its properties
and transformations. Geology deals with the Earth. Biology studies life. But beneath
these differences there are connections.The knowledge of one group of scientists
impinges on and is important to other groups of scientists.The organisms that biologists
study are subject to the same laws of physics as the rest of matter.All are pulled by gravity,
have mass, harness and utilize energy, and perform work. Many of the properties of
organisms can be explained in terms of chemical reactions.The energy you are using to
hold and read this book comes largely from the chemical breakdown of glucose in your
cells.To understand the history of organisms we turn to geology and look for signs of previous
life and clues to their activities recorded in rocks by fossils we find there.
Biologists are constantly confronted with these questions: How big is it? How many
of them are there? How much is being produced? How probable is it that my results are
reproducible? Mathematics is the tool biologists use to record their observations, analyze
their data, and express their conclusions.
As we explore biology we will need to explore some aspects of physics, chemistry,
and geology, and we will make frequent use of numbers.There is only one natural world
and it is studied by all scientists.
What Are the Major Theories of Biology?
The science of biology is as diverse as the living forms with which it is concerned. But
there are unifying themes, “big ideas,” that emerge from this diversity to make sense of
it all and provide a framework for understanding biology. BioInquiry is organized around
the most important of these big ideas. In the upcoming paragraphs we will introduce
the unifying themes of biology and the people whose names are XXXXX XXXXX them.
As we shall see in BioInquiry, however, all of these ideas had long histories and cannot
truly be credited to a single person.The names associated with the ideas are of the people
who first tested them scientifically.Today, after decades of confirmation, these ideas
are the major theories of biology.
Evolution by Natural Selection Charles Darwin was among the first to propose a scientifically
testable explanation for the diversity of life, or, in other words, why there are
so many different kinds of living things on Earth. Darwin’s theory of evolution1 by natural
selection has two parts. First, species (distinct forms of life) change or evolve over
the generations. Second, the mechanism for this species change is called natural selection.
Both aspects of Darwin’s theory are discussed in Chapter 2.
Today, evolution by natural selection is accepted by nearly all scientists as biology’s
most important theory. Indeed, most agree that contemporary biology began when Darwin
published his book, The Origin of Species, in 1859. More than any other single idea,
evolution ties together and interrelates with all of the other ideas and theories of biology.
Inheritance At the same time that Darwin was formulating his theory of biological
evolution, Gregor Mendel, a monk living in a monastery in eastern Europe, was grappling
with another concept: How are traits from parents inherited by offspring? The principles
of inheritance proposed from his experiments with common pea plants have been
successfully applied to all organisms. Mendel proved that the traits, or characteristics, of
organisms pass from one generation to the next (Figure 1-5) by means of hereditary
“factors,” now called genes. Darwin and Mendel published their first significant findings
within a few years of each other, but unlike Darwin, Mendel’s results were largely ignored
for the first 35 years. They were rediscovered in the early 20th century and have since
become one of the foundation stones of modern biology. Chapter 3 explains Mendel’s
findings; Chapter 8 puts them in the context of Darwinian evolution and shows how
intimately connected these two ideas—evolution and inheritance—really are.
One of the triumphs of 20th-century biology was how much we were able to extend
our understanding of genes and inheritance, a process that continues today. Indeed, it was
Gregor Mendel’s results that gave rise to the modern science of genetics and molecular
biology developed in Chapters 5, 6, and 7.
Cells Matthi
Category: Homework
Expert:  Homework Girl replied 3 years ago.
Thanks for the request. Will have it for you by tomorrow.
Your text is cut off on the bottom. if you can't post the text, can you just tell me what the theories are your professors want you to talk about?
THIS ANSWER IS LOCKED!
You can view this answer by clicking here to Register or Login and paying $3.
If you've already paid for this answer, simply Login.
Homework Girl, Graduate Student
Experience: 10+ years of tutoring, BS in Biology and English, Current Chicago Examiner and Writer