Chris M.
Chris M., M.S.W. Social Work
Experience:  Master's Degree, strong math and writing skills, experience in one-on-one tutoring (college English)
22285537

Jason is a farmer developing new varieties of vegetables and

Jason is a farmer developing new varieties of vegetables and she wishes totest the efficiency of water uptake by some vegetable varieties. What tissue should she monitor?

a) Vascular tissue.

b) Dermal tissue.

c) Ground issue.

d) Meristematic tissue.

Janice is rehabilitating an ecosystem and wants to encourage moss reproduction (not quite likely, as ecosystem recovery is a HUGE project). What would be the consequence if she plucked moss sporophytes and planted them in the ground?

a) They would produce spores that would form new sporophytes.

b) They would produce gametes that would develop into gametophytes.

c) They would fail to thrive as they depend on gametophytes for nourishment.

d) They would produce spores that would develop into gametophytes.

e) They would fail to reproduce because mosses require water for sperm transit.

Ethan is studying viral and bacterial diseases. Which of the following is NOT an accurate comparison of bacteria and viruses?

a) Most viruses enter cells whereas most bacteria do not.

b) Bacterial genes are made of DNA whereas viral genes may be made of DNA or RNA.

c) Bacterial infections are more susceptible to drugs.

d) Bacteria may secrete toxins whereas viruses do not.

e) Bacterial genes are made of DNA whereas viruses lack genes and use host cell genes.

What is a unique feature of ferns in comparison with angiosperms?

a) One type of spore is produced.

b) Gametophytes are part of the life cycle.

c) Embryos are contained in seeds.

d) Flowers are very tiny.

e) Sporophytes are not dependent for nourishment on gametophytes.

Two parents pass on their genes to offspring in:

a) asexual reproduction

b) sexual reproduction

c) mitosis

d) meiosis

e) both c and d are correct

Ava had a pap smear of the cells of her uterine cervix and a pathologist examining the cells was of the opinion that they were dysplastic. What does this mean?

a) The cells are normal.

b) The cells are malignant.

c) The cells are metastatic.

d) The cells are precancerous.

e) The cells have undergone progression

Which of the following is a scientific hypothesis?

a) The biologist measured 300 fish.

b) The ecologist objected to damming of the river.

c) The doctor ordered 20 blood tests.

d) The results of the lab tests showed that the lake was polluted.

e) The geneticist proposed that some forms of heart disease are inherited.

If you observed some ciliates such as paramecia under the microscope you might notice the process of conjugation. What is the outcome of conjugation?

a) Transverse fission of the cell.

b) Fusion of two cells into one.

c) Sexual reproduction of an offspring cell..

d) Promotion of genetic variability.

e) Binary fission.

Scientists have estimated that in a teaspoon of contaminated water there may be five billion viruses. How do viruses compare in size to other units? Arrange the following in order of size from greatest to least: (1) Virus, (2) bacterium, (3) human blood cell, (4) prion.

a) 1>2>3>4.

b) 4>1>2>3.

c) 3>2>1>4.

d) 2>3>1>4.

Abe is a technician instructed to photograph some chromatids. How would he distinguish a chromatid from a chromosome?

a) A chromatid is the portion of a chromosome on each side of its centromere.

b) A chromatid is the portion of a chromosome on each side of its kinetochore.

c) A chromatid is a twin of another chromatid resulting from chromosomal copying, both being joined at the centromere region.

d) A chromatid is a chromosome that has condensed into a DNA super coil prior to cell division, whereas a chromosome is uncondensed.

e) A chromatid is the structure at each end of a dividing cell that provides microtubules for moving chromosomes during cell division.

If you encountered a large leafy-looking fern plant, you might notice tiny dots on the undersides of the leaves. If you removed these dots what might be the consequence?

a) Failure of photosynthesis.

b) Destruction of the tiny fern embryos.

c) Destruction of the tiny fern zygotes.

d) Destruction of the tiny fern gametophytes.

e) Destruction of the tiny fern sporangia.

Grace spent long hours in the sun and damaged the DNA of her skin cells so that the damaged cells could no longer effectively make new skin cells. How would you classify the damaged DNA segment?

a) Intron.

b) Exon.

c) Telomere.

d) Transposon.

e) Mutation.

Which statement is not true about a karyotype?

a) Chromosomes are arranged in matched pairs.

b) All eukaryotic karyotypes contain 46 chromosomes.

c) Chromosomes are linear in appearance.

d) Karyotypes can be used to screen for chromosome abnormalities.

e) none of the above

What do the processes of active transport and facilitated process have in common?

a) need for energy called ATP

b) use of transport proteins

c) movement of solutes from a greater to a lesser concentration of solutes
Category: Homework
Expert:  Chris M. replied 3 years ago.
THIS ANSWER IS LOCKED!
You can view this answer by clicking here to Register or Login and paying $3.
If you've already paid for this answer, simply Login.
Chris M., M.S.W. Social Work
Experience: Master's Degree, strong math and writing skills, experience in one-on-one tutoring (college English)