Experienced Teacher
Experienced Teacher, Teacher
Experience:  10 Years secondary Social studies, AP US History, Graded for College Board AP essays,
11991641

15. Which statement is true about sentence lengths in a written

15. Which statement is true about sentence lengths in a written piece? A. Short sentences tend to move ideas quickly. B. In spite of their name, compound-complex sentences are usually shorter than compound or complex sentences. C. Regardless of the sentence type, the audience tends to read at its own pace. D. Varying sentence type has no appreciable effect on relative sentence length.

16. While reviewing an essay, what would be your main purpose in applying the questions Who? What? When? Where? Why? A. To clarify your topic sentences B. To organize your evidence C. To compare your thesis statement with your conclusion D. To be sure your evidence provides sufficient detail

17. A student who regularly tracks her mistakes in spelling, verb forms, and parallelism is probably A. keeping an error log. B. using a flowchart. C. analyzing her essays’ organization. D. focusing on her learning style.

18. A _______ can be used for both organizing and revising an essay. A. flowchart C. topic sentence B. graphic organizer D. verbal sketch

19. Nathan argues that each paragraph in a narrative should support the author’s thesis. Nan says that paragraphs in a narrative should illuminate some part of the action. Which one is correct? A. Both Nathan and Nan are correct. B. Neither Nathan nor Nan is correct. C. Only Nan is correct. D. Only Nathan is correct.

20. In which sentence does the underlined word have a negative connotation? A. Jenna’s ethnic background gave her an exotic look. B. Jack, who is the most outspoken member of the group, led the opposition to the new rule. C. Although she had worked hard in high school, Ruth found the college courses challenging. D. Matthew was a scrawny kid, but he grew up strong.

21. Which of the following sentences uses concrete language? A. Jerry saw that the glass was really dirty. B. When I saw Susan she was reading a book. C. Carl’s Labrador retriever eagerly chases tennis balls. D. I met Cathy at a store on a street near the bridge.

22. Which of the following sentences contains an error in subject-verb agreement? A. Kristy, Molly, and Kate attend the same university and ride the bus together. B. Each of the 14 groups are going to contribute an item to the auction. C. Which one of these shirts is your favorite? D. Either Dennis or Susan is going to pick you up.

23. Which of the following sentences contains a redundancy? A. Steve admired the partially completed stadium. B. Chris had trouble working up even mild enthusiasm for Mike’s plan. C. At no time did Tony indicate a willingness to admit defeat. D. Emily’s sister gave birth to a pair of twins.

24. Spotting errors as you proofread is easier if you A. use a clean printed copy each time. B. reassess your marked-up copy. C. hand write your essay. D. read your work from the computer screen.

25. What is the sequence of components in the following sentence? “Listless and depressed by vistas of snow and gray skies, Dieter left the cabin and walked toward the frozen pond.” A. Subject, verb, modifier B. Modifier, subject, verb C. Subject, modifier, verb D. Modifier, subject, modifier, verb

26. To compose strong, compelling sentences, avoid using A. clauses as modifiers. C. forms of the verb to be. B. short, simple sentences. D. dependent clauses.

27. Which of the following is a compound sentence? A. Since Viceroy butterflies migrate over very great distances, tracking them is a challenge to entomologists. B. Butterflies and hummingbirds feed on the nectar of flowering plants. C. Because fraud is so common in some corporations, regulatory agencies are overworked. D. Corporate fraud is becoming more common in the United States, and the civil courts are being stretched to their limits.

28. Which of the following sentences correctly uses a transitional word or phrase? A. Sadly, Mark broke his leg shortly after starting the program. B. Because first impressions are so important, Addison shaved off his beard. C. For example, Kara took up needlepoint on the advice of her counselor. D. Until the floodwaters receded, the bridge couldn’t be inspected.

29. A passive verb is the better choice if you wish to A. emphasize the subject. C. establish a casual tone. B. deemphasize the subject. D. establish a formal tone.

30. During revision, you’ll scan your paper for _______ words and replace them with concrete words or phrases. A. figurative C. informal B. general D. formal
Category: Homework
Expert:  Experienced Teacher replied 3 years ago.
THIS ANSWER IS LOCKED!
You can view this answer by clicking here to Register or Login and paying $3.
If you've already paid for this answer, simply Login.
Experienced Teacher, Teacher
Experience: 10 Years secondary Social studies, AP US History, Graded for College Board AP essays,