Chris M.
Chris M., M.S.W. Social Work
Experience:  Master's Degree, strong math and writing skills, experience in one-on-one tutoring (college English)
22285537

english

Read this passage to answer questions 13, 14, and 15. The sentences are numbered to help you respond to the questions. (1) Biologically, adolescence is marked by hormonal changes that produce secondary sexual characteristics. (2) These include breast development in females and beard growth in males. (3) Psychologically however, adolescence is a concept that applies only to modern industrial societies. (4) In fact, in most preliterate or tribal societies, the modern American idea of adolescence simply does not exist. (5) In such societies, the social roles of adulthood are to be learned during childhood. (6) Then, around the time of biological puberty, a child becomes an adult through a ritual anthropologists call a rite of passage. (7) By contrast, in American society, adolescence amounts to a sort of social and cultural limbo. (8) Informally, the end of childhood is often marked by one’s thirteenth birthday. The child is now a “teenager.” (9) More formally, the end of adolescence is marked by legal strictures that vary irrationally. (10) In a given state the age of sexual consent may be 16 for girls and 18 for boys. (11) An 18-year-old may vote or enlist to die for his country, but, until he reaches age 21, he may not legally purchase alcoholic beverages. 13. If the topic of this paragraph is adolescence, which of the following statements best captures or reiterates the thesis? A. Adolescence is an irrational concept. B. Adolescence is defined differently in different societies. C. Adolescence is an aspect of modern society. D. Western society has no single concept of adolescence. 14. In the paragraph about adolescence, the thesis is best suggested A. in sentences 1 and 3. B. in sentences 3 and 4. C. through an implied topic sentence. D. by what the reader decides about the actual nature of adolescence. 15. In which sentences of the paragraph about adolescence do you find a transitional word or phrase that shows a time connection? A. Sentence 3 C. Sentence 6 B. Sentence 4 D. Sentence 7 16. Your topic is courtesy, and you’re writing from the point of view of a caring mentor. Which of the following sentences is most persuasive for an audience of high school graduates from a working-class neighborhood? A. Courtesy to others shows self-respect as much as it does respect for others. B. Courtesy is the oil that lubricates the machinery of discourse. C. Remember that you can catch more flies with honey than with vinegar. D. Courtesy yields profits to the impecunious as well as to the wealthy. 17. As a general rule, where in your essay is it best to place your thesis statement? A. Anywhere at all, since the best thesis statement is implied, not specified B. In the first, introductory paragraph of the essay C. In the second or third paragraph of the body of the essay D. At the end of the essay, as part of the conclusion Questions 18, 19, and 20 are based on the following excerpt from an essay. The sentences are numbered to help you respond to the questions. (1) After Sean was arrested for breaking into a pawnshop, I began to wonder. (2) Why did some kids from my neighborhood end up in trouble while most of us didn’t? (3) I started out with a question: What causes young people to make bad choices? (4) Now, after two years of research, I’ve arrived at the conclusion that there is no simple answer. (5) There is no one reason why good kids go bad, but there are typical reasons. (6) According to my research, teenagers are most likely to get into trouble if they hang out with a bad crowd. (7) That’s because people learn their values from the people they associate with. (8) So a very big reason for bad behavior is imitating one’s peers. (9) But there are other important factors as well. (10) Kids who get in trouble are often school dropouts. (11) Also, kids being raised by a single mother are more likely to get in trouble than kids raised in an intact family. (12) Substance abuse also plays a role, especially when it comes to alcohol and legal or illegal drugs. 18. What method of organization is used by the writer? A. Most-to-least C. Chronological B. Spatial D. Least-to-most 19. In which sentence or sentences do you find the thesis statement in this excerpt? A. 2 C. 4 and 5 B. 3 D. 5 20. Sentence 7 of the excerpt is an example of A. an opinion. C. a supporting explanation. B. random evidence. D. a conclusion. 21. Which of the following statements best identifies a learning style that’s creative, verbal, and independent? A. Cameron loves to diagram the different aspects or meanings of an idea. B. Loren writes poetry because she enjoys experimenting with words to evoke emotions. C. Karen loves sorting out facts, especially when she can help her classmates visualize them in novel and interesting ways. D. Bart enjoys sitting in public places with his brother analyzing people, especially when he is trying to come up with a plot for a short story.
Category: Homework
Expert:  Chris M. replied 3 years ago.
THIS ANSWER IS LOCKED!
You can view this answer by clicking here to Register or Login and paying $3.
If you've already paid for this answer, simply Login.
Chris M., M.S.W. Social Work
Experience: Master's Degree, strong math and writing skills, experience in one-on-one tutoring (college English)