Chris M.
Chris M., M.S.W. Social Work
Experience:  Master's Degree, strong math and writing skills, experience in one-on-one tutoring (college English)
22285537

1. Which of the following is an element of community policing A.

Customer Question

1. Which of the following is an element of community policing?
A. Maintaining an anonymous relationship with the community. B. Focusing on emergency response
C. Encouraging citizens to help in preventing and solving crimes. D. Moving decision making and discretion upward to office supervisors. 2. Which of the following is an element of the theory of policing as a crime control force?
A. Police officers are soldiers in a war against crime.
B. Criminals can be basically good people who have gone
wrong.
C. Police officers aren’t the only experts in society who
understand the enemy.
D. Police officers must “follow the book” and not exercise
their own discretion when on the streets.3. Which of the following holds that each citizen gives up complete liberty in return for
societal protection against others?
A. Natural law theory C. Police as a public servant
B. Social contract D. Rawls’s theory
4. The formal law enforcement code of ethics promoted by the International Association
of Chiefs of Police is what kind of code?
A. One that provides principles or guidelines that relate to the value system of the
organization
B. One that provides mandatory rules of conduct that can serve as the basis of discipline
C. An aspirational code that specifies ideal behavior
D. A general code that vaguely describes the tenets of professional conduct
5. The formal code of ethics for law enforcement stresses which of the following values?
A. Importance of the law C. Egoism
B. Police officers’ subculture D. Police officers as crime fighters
6. Which of the following factors drives police actions the most?
A. Code of ethics C. Political pressures
B. Rule book D. Police subculture
7. Which of the following factors is involved in the disparity between police subcultural
values and the code of ethics?
A. Feeling victimized C. Lack of cynicism
B. Feeling like public servants D. A feeling of social belonging
8. Which of the following actions is consistent with the police subculture?
A. Respect for individual rights C. Use of illegal investigation tactics
B. Restraint in the use of force D. Always telling the truth
9. Which of the following factors is universally agreed upon as part of a police officer’s
domain?
A. Discretion
B. Public service
C. Differential treatment of special groups
D. Acceptance of gratuities. 10. Which of the following systems of belief justifies the action of an officer who doesn’t
issue a ticket to a fellow off-duty officer who was speeding?
A. Utilitarianism C. Ethical formalism
B. Egoism D. Religion11. Which of the following is condoned in certain situations by some law enforcement
theorists?
A. Graft C. Bribes
B. Gratuities D. Shakedowns. 12. You’re a police officer whose partner forgot to read the Miranda rights to a man suspected
of sexually abusing three minors (and almost killing one of them). The suspect
has no remorse. You decide not to admit that he didn’t get his Miranda rights because
you don’t want to give him a “get-out-of-jail-free card.” Which of the following factors
condones this behavior?
A. Police subculture C. Ethics of virtue
B. Formal law enforcement code of ethics D. Ethical formalism
13. Which of the following is not involved in undercover police officer work?
A. Strict enforcement of the code of ethics
B. Loss of identity
C. Sacrifice of personal integrity
D. Observance of or participation in illegal activities. 14. Which of the following ethical systems would most likely support the use of informants
and deception?
A. Ethics of care C. Religious ethics
B. Ethical formalism D. Utilitarian ethics
15. Which of the following statements is true about police officer loyalty?
A. The blue curtain of secrecy is breaking down. B. The code of silence is mostly a myth.
C. Loyalty is extended in a rational way. D. Departmental loyalty is mostly a negative factor because it leads to corruption and cover-ups. 16. Under the ethics of care, an intimate relationship between a police officer and a target of an undercover investigation is A. unethical, because the relationship between two people is more important than rights, duties, and laws.
B. ethical, because trust between two people is more important than the social good.
C. ethical, because you can’t use a person (through feigned affection, caring) as a
means to an end.
D. unethical, because you can’t betray a trust.17. Under the utilitarian ethical system, investigative deception is
A. ethical because it’s good for the individual police officer.
B. ethical because it’s the best means to a positive end, such as busting drug sales,
prostitution, and organized-crime activities.
C. unethical because it sets a bad precedent.
D. unethical because you can’t use a person or the act of lying as a means to an end.
18. Under the egoism ethical system, gratuities are
A. unethical because you have to be true to your integrity and morals.
B. unethical because you shouldn’t tarnish your reputat
Category: Homework
Expert:  Chris M. replied 3 years ago.
THIS ANSWER IS LOCKED!
You can view this answer by clicking here to Register or Login and paying $3.
If you've already paid for this answer, simply Login.