Chris M.
Chris M., M.S.W. Social Work
Experience:  Master's Degree, strong math and writing skills, experience in one-on-one tutoring (college English)
22285537

1.)Hypothesis testing is a procedure that uses sample evidence

1.)Hypothesis testing is a procedure that uses sample evidence and probability theory to decide whether to reject or fail to reject a hypothesis.
True
False

2.)As sample sizes decrease, we are more confident in sample estimates of population parameters.
True
False
3.)The 0.05 level of significance is applied to all studies involving sampling.
True
False

4.) The researcher must decide on the level of significance before formulating a decision rule and collecting sample data.
True
False

5.) The region or area of rejection defines the location of all values that are so large or so small that the probability of their occurrence under a true null hypothesis is rather remote.
True
False

6.)A null hypothesis makes a claim about a
Population parameter
Sample statistic
Sample mean
Type II error

7.)Test at the 0.01 level the statement that 55% of those families who plan to purchase a vacation residence in Florida want a condominium. The null hypothesis is p = 0.55 and the alternate is . A random sample of 400 families who planned to buy a vacation residence revealed that 228 families want a condominium. What decision should be made regarding the null hypothesis?
Do not reject it
Reject it
Cannot accept nor reject it based on the information given
None of these

8.)The mean length of a small counter balance bar is 43 millimeters. There is concern that the adjustments of the machine producing the bars have changed. Test the claim at the 0.02 level that there has been no change in the mean length. The alternate hypothesis is that there has been a change. Twelve bars (n = 12) were selected at random and their lengths recorded. The lengths are (in millimeters) 42, 39, 42, 45, 43, 40, 39, 41, 40, 42, 43 and 42. The mean of the sample is 41.5 and the standard deviation 1.784. Computed t = -2.913. Has there been a statistically significant change in the mean length of the bars?
Yes, because the computed t lies in the rejection region.
No, because the information given is not complete.
No, because the computed t lies in the area to the right of -2.718.
Yes, because 43 is greater than 41.5.

9.)To conduct a test of hypothesis with a small sample, we need to be able to make an assumption that:
A.)a larger computed value of t will be needed to reject the null hypothesis.
B.)the region of acceptance will be wider than for large samples.
C.)the confidence interval will be wider than for large samples.
D.)the population is normally distributed.

10.)What do we call the statement that determines if the null hypothesis is rejected?
Decision rule
Test statistic
Alternate hypothesis
Critical value
Category: Homework
Expert:  Chris M. replied 3 years ago.
THIS ANSWER IS LOCKED!
You can view this answer by clicking here to Register or Login and paying $3.
If you've already paid for this answer, simply Login.
Chris M., M.S.W. Social Work
Experience: Master's Degree, strong math and writing skills, experience in one-on-one tutoring (college English)