Scott
Scott, MIT Graduate
Experience:  MIT Graduate (Math, Programming, Science, and Music)
3546829

Question 1 (Multiple Choice Worth 1 points)At the end of the

Customer Question

"Question 1 (Multiple Choice Worth 1 points)At the end of the nineteenth century, urban Protestant churches reacted to the influx of non-Protestants by
evangelizing and making the church an instrument of social uplift.
isolating themselves from surrounding neighborhoods.
sending their most effective ministers into downtown churches and synagogues to counter the Catholics and convert the Jews.
segregating their congregations according to social class.

Question 2 (Multiple Choice Worth 1 points)In their efforts to improve working conditions, the Knights of Labor stressed
cooperative factories owned and managed by workers.
the effectiveness of the general strike.
the importance of organizing a political party.
the support of the Republican Party.

Question 3 (Multiple Choice Worth 1 points)Early twentieth-century civil rights advocates who created the Niagara Movement called for all of the following except

encouragement of black pride.
full political and civil equality for African Americans.
reversal of stereotypes that demeaned African Americans.
the payment of reparations to former slaves and their descendents.

Question 4 (Multiple Choice Worth 1 points)Which of the following statements most accurately characterizes the conduct of American diplomacy in the late nineteenth century?
Most American diplomats were appointed after passing civil service examinations.
In Asia, Africa, and the Pacific islands, diplomacy was left to American missionaries who worked to Christianize native populations.
The State Department exercised increasingly tighter control over U.S. consuls and naval officers abroad.
Preoccupied with domestic politics, the Senate almost entirely abandoned foreign affairs to the presidency's control.

Question 5 (Multiple Choice Worth 1 points)White reformers who created the Indian Rights Association advocated the
assimilation of Indians into white culture.
preservation of Indian culture.
reservation system as a means of saving IndXXXXX XXXXXves.
continuation of tribal authority.

Question 6 (Multiple Choice Worth 1 points)Around the turn of the century, African Americans moving to cities in the North experienced
substantially less racism than did African Americans in the South.
more opportunities to become skilled workers than they had two decades earlier.
increasing residential segregation.
good opportunities to buy integrated housing.

Question 7 (Multiple Choice Worth 1 points)The expression “Gilded Age” originated as the
title of a 1909 essay by English critic G. Lowes Dickinson, who claimed that “in America there is no culture.”
title of a novel by Mark Twain and Charles Dudley Warner that was published in 1873 and satirized America as a land of vulgar money grubbers.
characterization applied admiringly to America by Andrew Carnegie in 1888 as he described his philanthropic work.
title of the ironic 1907 memoir by XXXXX XXXXX describing his sense of detachment from late-nineteenth-century American materialism.
Question 8 (Multiple Choice Worth 1 points)Compulsory segregation, other than in education, was first imposed on southern blacks
as an immediate consequence of the withdrawal of federal troops from the South in 1877.
as an immediate consequence of the Supreme Court's 1883 ruling that the Civil Rights Act of 1875 was unconstitutional.
with the active support of President Grover Cleveland during his first term in office.
during the late 1880s in the form of southern states' prohibitions against blacks traveling in first-class railroad passenger cars.

Question 9 (Multiple Choice Worth 1 points)Which of the following goals was not held by the Wilson administration's Committee on Public Information?
To Americanize immigrant groups
To build support for the war
To nurture cultural pluralism
To encourage a common ideology

Question 10 (Multiple Choice Worth 1 points) Which of the following statements most accurately characterizes Samuel Gompers's and the American Federation of Labor's response to the rise of progressivism?
They hardened their pro-voluntarism stance and worked tirelessly to defeat progressive candidates at the ballot.
They joined the battle for progressive legislation and increasingly became its strongest advocate, especially regarding the issue of workers' compensation.
They thoroughly distrusted progressive middle-class do-gooders and insisted that workers could win through their own bargaining.
They refused to buy newspapers and magazines known for publishing muckraking articles.

Question 11 (Multiple Choice Worth 1 points) Between 1876 and 1892, Americans were
highly partisan and politically active.
apathetic about politics.
independent-minded voters.
reluctant to join parties.

Question 12 (Multiple Choice Worth 1 points) Which of the following statements most accurately characterizes industry in post–Civil War American cites?
Most smaller cities still depended on agricultural ties for economic survival.
In most industries, the scale of production increased.
Older commercial centers refused to permit factory districts.
Industrial entrepreneurs preferred to keep the scale of factories small and confined within city boundaries.

Question 13 (Multiple Choice Worth 1 points)Which of the following does not characterize the progressives of the early twentieth century?
They tended to pride themselves on being tough-minded reformers.
They had confidence in ordinary people's capacity to take significant action.
They were idealistic.
They usually aligned themselves with business interests and the private sector.

Question 14 (Multiple Choice Worth 1 points)Chinese immigrants to the United States in the nineteenth century
came in their greatest numbers prior to 1850.
numbered about 9 percent of California's population.
were mostly women.
were mostly unemployed and depended on government assistance to survive.

Question 15 (Multiple Choice Worth 1 points)Under the Roosevelt Corollary to the Monroe Doctrine, the United States would
intervene in the internal affairs of a Caribbean nation only on invitation from the government in power.
intervene against any rebel force in a Caribbean nation.
act unilaterally to regulate the affairs of any Caribbean nation.
look to Mexico, the most powerful Latin American nation, to police the Caribbean countries.
Question 16 (Multiple Choice Worth 1 points)Southern California began to develop rapidly in the 1880s owing to
its suitability for wheat growing.
extensive publicity about its sunny, healthful climate
water diverted from the Colorado River.
the arrival of thousands of Japanese-born homesteaders.

Question 17 (Multiple Choice Worth 1 points)The strike by steelworkers at Homestead, Pennsylvania,
resulted from Andrew Carnegie's desire to break the Amalgamated Association of Iron and Steel Workers.
was the culmination of a long history of poor labor relations at Homestead.
was led by immigrant German Marxists.
ended when the strike leaders were held in contempt of court and jailed.

Question 18 (Multiple Choice Worth 1 points)Which of the following is not an example of a labor dispute that occurred in the United States in 1919?
Boston police demanded union representation.
Seattle shipyard workers walked off their jobs.
More than 350,000 steel workers went on strike across the nation.
New York City garment industry workers protested.

Question 19 (Multiple Choice Worth 1 points)Urban social democrats and agrarian radicals opposed the Populist Party's emphasis on free silver because
the supply of silver was too small.
it drew attention away from the more progressive features of the Populists' program.
they preferred the gold standard.
it was too controversial.

Question 20 (Multiple Choice Worth 1 points)Woodrow Wilson wished to keep the United States neutral at the outbreak of World War I primarily because he
secretly admired German culture and the German university system.
wanted to arbitrate among the combatants and to influence the settlement of the war.
was a Presbyterian and could not bring himself to commit American troops to fight on behalf of a Catholic country such as France.
was a pacifist who believed that the United States should never go to war.

Question 21 (Multiple Choice Worth 1 points)In the course of the turmoil that shook Russia in the midst of World War I,
the newly established Bolshevik government gave up extensive territories in Russia's western borderlands in return for peace with Germany in the Treaty of Brest-Litovsk.
the democratic provisional government that was established after the overthrow of the tsar in March 1917 sought immediate peace with Russia's enemies.
the Bolsheviks, who seized power in November 1917, urged that Russians fight a “revolutionary war” to victory over Germany.
the revolution of 1917 ended the long civil war that had hampered the Russian war effort.

Question 22 (Multiple Choice Worth 1 points)Which of the following does not correctly describe the building of the first transcontinental railroad?
Two companies—the Union Pacific and the Central Pacific—won the contracts to build the railroad.
The federal government subsidized the project with generous land grants and millions of dollars in public loans to the railroad companies.
One company built east from California and one company built west from Nebraska until they met at Promontory, Utah.
The company that built east from California advanced more rapidly than its competitor that built west.

Question 23 (Multiple Choice Worth 1 points)All of the following were advantages that large American retailers possessed in the early years of American mass marketing except
a mobile society.
an expanding advertising industry.
a less visibly demarcated class system.
consumer loyalty to small, local businesses.

Question 24 (Multiple Choice Worth 1 points)When William McKinley became president in 1897 and had to deal with the rebellion in Cuba, he
considered the Caribbean less important to U.S. interests than Cleveland had.
took a tougher stance against the Spanish than Cleveland had taken.
was less shocked than Cleveland by the stories of Spanish atrocities.
had complete control of the Republican Party, whereas Cleveland had to balance prowar and antiwar factions within the Democratic Party.

Question 25 (Multiple Choice Worth 1 points) In the late nineteenth century, the Supreme Court
upheld Congress's power to tax.
upheld Congress's power to regulate railroad fees.
limited Congress's power to regulate manufacturing.
recognized labor's right to strike.
Category: Homework