replied 6 years ago.
FOR SUSAN ATHENA, THANK YOU FOR THE PREVIOUS ANSWERS BUT I AM YET TO ACCEPT IT TILL I RECEIVE ANSWERS TO THIS QUESTIONS. THANK YOU ONCE AGAIN.
1. Which part of the following words is the best close-up word? A. Plant, B. Zucchini C. Food, D. Vegetable
2. An antonym is a word that's, A. defined in a thesaurus, B. the same meaning, C. pronounced the same, D. opposite in meaning
3. Which one of the following sentences is written in the active voice? A. Accidents are witnessed every day, B. Few people think seriously of doing something about accidents, C. Accidents are considered by most people as unavoidable, D. It is said that definite steps can be taken to prevent many accidents.
4. To put abstract ideas into close-up words, use____descriptions. A. faraway, B. impersonal, C. general, D. concrete
5. A synonym is a word that's, A. defined in a thesaurus, B. similar in meaning, C. pronounced the same, D. opposite in meaning
6. Anna is an exceptional young girl.______Anna does any job that needs to be done. To vary the sentences structure, which one the following sentences should you insert in the blank? A.Have you noticed how hard she works? B. Anna is always working hard at home, C. Anna works hard every day of her life, D. Anna is a hardworking and versatile person
7. When we speak of the flavor of a word, we're talking about the extra understood meanings that if carries in addition to its main meaning. These extra meanings are called, A. definitions, B. denotations, C. connotations, D. shadings
8. Which is the best strategy to follow when you write a report or an essay? A. Get it right the first and put it aside until it's due, B. Revise it over and over for at least three or four years, C. Write it in one sitting and revise it only once, D. Work on it over a seven-day period and rewrite it at least twice
9. Which of the following statements about vocabulary building is not correct? A. The best way to improve your vocabulary is to memorize lists of vocabulary words, B. Reading on a daily basis is very important for building your vocabulary, C. Using the dictionary is only one step in the process of vocabulary building, D. Pronunciation is an important part of adding new words to your vocabulary
10. What is the most important point in the following sentence? My sister, Emily the tallest girl in her class, has many friends. A. Emily is my sister, B. Emily is the tallest girl in the class, C. Emily has many friends, D. My sister's name is Emily
11. Which of the following direct quotations is punctuated properly?
A. "Way to go, Sean," the coach shouted. "That was a great run!", B. "Way to go, Sean," the coach shouted. "That was a great run"!, C. "Way to go, Sean", the coach shouted. "That was a great run"! D. "Way to go, Sean", the coach shouted. "That was a great run!"
12. Increasing your vocabulary means, A. you'll write longer sentences, B.you'll write more lively sentences, C. you'll spend less time on revision, D. you'll be able to spend more time reading
13. A cliche is a ____expression. A. new, B. foreign, C. worn-out, D. wordy
14. Of the following methods the best way to increase your reading is by, A. reading a new book every day, B. forcing yourself to read subjects you dislike, C. setting a goal to read five new pages every night, D. joining a mail-order book club.
15. Freewriting is an exercise in which you, A. revise and polish an essay, B. write whatever your thoughts are in no particular order, C. rewrite an article in magazine or newspaper, D. write only grammatically correct sentences
16. A thesaurus is a book that's useful for finding, A. frequently misspelled words, B. synonyms, C. famous persons, D. definitions
17. Find the sentence with the active voice, A. The chairman told me that the legislature passed the bill, B. It was voted by the legislature to pass, C. The bill was passed by the legislature, D. I was told by the chairman that the bill was passed by the legislature
18. Which one of the following statements about making your writing fun to read is not correct? A. The conversation you write must sound natural for the characters, B. Give your writing a personal touch by showing that you're interested in your subject, C. Direct quotations should be reserved for characters in stories, D. An anecdote or humorous quotation is often more convincing than a strong argument.
19. Which of the following sentences uses the best close-up words? A. Sara is pursuing a degree, B. Sara is pursuing a non-science degree, C. Sara is studying languages, D. Sara is studying French and German
20. Sentences (i) has been shortened in sentence (ii) by using a(n)----- (i) She likes a location that is in the sun. (ii) She likes a sunny location, A. prefix, B. adjective, C. phrase, D. connective
21. Which of these is a run-on sentence? A. I went home and ate and ate, B. Before lunch, I played volleyball; after lunch i did again, C. I thought about what he'd said soon I realized he was right, D. You and I and the whole team will go.