Manal Elkhoshkhany
Manal Elkhoshkhany, Tutor
Experience:  More than 5000 online tutoring sessions.
3708793

21.Which of the following is true about lower-of-cost-or-market a.It

21.Which of the following is true about lower-of-cost-or-market?
a.It is inconsistent because losses are recognized but not gains.
b.It usually understates assets.
c.It can increase future income.
d.All of these.
22.The primary basis of accounting for inventories is cost. A departure from the cost basis of pricing the inventory is required where there is evidence that when the goods are sold in the ordinary course of business their
a.selling price will be less than their replacement cost.
b.replacement cost will be more than their net realizable value.
c.cost will be less than their replacement cost.
d.future utility will be less than their cost.
23.When valuing raw materials inventory at lower-of-cost-or-market, what is the meaning of the term "market"?
a.Net realizable value
b.Net realizable value less a normal profit margin
c.Current replacement cost
d.Discounted present value
24.In no case can "market" in the lower-of-cost-or-market rule be more than
a.estimated selling price in the ordinary course of business.
b.estimated selling price in the ordinary course of business less reasonably predictable costs of completion and disposal.
c.estimated selling price in the ordinary course of business less reasonably predictable costs of completion and disposal and an allowance for an approximately normal profit margin.
d.estimated selling price in the ordinary course of business less reasonably predictable costs of completion and disposal, an allowance for an approximately normal profit margin, and an adequate reserve for possible future losses.
25.Designated market value
a.is always the middle value of replacement cost, net realizable value, and net realizable value less a normal profit margin.
b.should always be equal to net realizable value.
c.may sometimes exceed net realizable value.
d.should always be equal to net realizable value less a normal profit margin.
26.Lower-of-cost-or-market
a.is most conservative if applied to the total inventory.
b.is most conservative if applied to major categories of inventory.
c.is most conservative if applied to individual items of inventory.
d.must be applied to major categories for taxes.
27.An item of inventory purchased this period for $15.00 has been incorrectly written down to its current replacement cost of $10.00. It sells during the following period for $30.00, its normal selling price, with disposal costs of $3.00 and normal profit of $12.00. Which of the following statements is not true?
a.The cost of sales of the following year will be understated.
b.The current year's income is understated.
c.The closing inventory of the current year is understated.
d.Income of the following year will be understated.
28.When the direct method is used to record inventory at market
a.there is a direct reduction in the selling price of the product that results in a loss being recorded on the income statement prior to the sale.
b.a loss is recorded directly in the inventory account by crediting inventory and debiting loss on inventory decline.
c.only the portion of the loss attributable to inventory sold during the period is recorded in the financial statements.
d.the market value figure for ending inventory is substituted for cost and the loss is buried in cost of goods sold.
29. Lower-of-cost-or-market as it applies to inventory is best described as the
a.drop of future utility below its original cost.
b.method of determining cost of goods sold.
c.assumption to determine inventory flow.
d.change in inventory value to market value.
30. The floor to be used in applying the lower-of-cost-or-market method to inventory is determined as the
a.net realizable value.
b.net realizable value less normal profit margin.
c.replacement cost.
d.selling price less costs of completion and disposal.
31. What is the rationale behind the ceiling when applying the lower-of-cost-or-market method to inventory?
a.Prevents understatement of the inventory value.
b.Allows for a normal profit to be earned.
c.Allows for items to be valued at replacement cost.
d.Prevents overstatement of the value of obsolete or damaged inventories.
32. Why are inventories stated at lower-of-cost-or-market?
a.To report a loss when there is a decrease in the future utility.
b.To be conservative.
c.To report a loss when there is a decrease in the future utility below the original cost.
d.To permit future profits to be recognized.
33. Which of the following is not an acceptable approach in applying the lower-of-cost-or-market method to inventory?
a.Inventory location.
b.Categories of inventory items.
c.Individual item.
d.Total of the inventory.
34. Which method(s) may be used to record a loss due to a price decline in the value of inventory?
a.Allowance method.
b.Sales method.
c.Direct method
d.Both a and c.
Category: Homework
Expert:  Manal Elkhoshkhany replied 3 years ago.

Hello again

Please click here for the solutions

P.S. If you like my services, please feel free to direct your future posts to me specifically by typing "For BusinessTutor" at the beginning of your post. Should you choose to do this, please try to allow me 48 hours before the deadline. If you need to meet me online for a timed assignment, please advise me of the date and time (EST) you want me to meet you here and I will. Please make sure you take the length (and number) of the questions into consideration when making your offer to avoid delays in providing solutions.

Thank you

THIS ANSWER IS LOCKED!
You can view this answer by clicking here to Register or Login and paying $3.
If you've already paid for this answer, simply Login.
Manal Elkhoshkhany, Tutor
Experience: More than 5000 online tutoring sessions.