Chris M.
Chris M., M.S.W. Social Work
Experience:  Master's Degree, strong math and writing skills, experience in one-on-one tutoring (college English)

HEAT 1. A silver bar 0.125 meter long is subjected to

Customer Question

HEAT

1. A silver bar 0.125 meter long is subjected to a temperature change from 200°C to 100°C. What will be the length of the bar after the temperature change?
A. 0.124764 meter
B. 0.00023635 meter
C. 0.00002363 meter
D. 0.0000189 meter

2. When the molecules in a body move with increased speed, it's possible that the body will change from a
A. gas to a liquid.
B. gas to a solid.
C. liquid to a solid.
D. liquid to a gas.

3. If the absolute temperature of a gas is 600 K, the temperature in degrees Celsius is
A. 273°C.
B. 327°C.
C. 705°C.
D. 873°C.

4. The main purpose of the turbine in the turbojet engine is to
A. drive the compressor.
B. compress the air.
C. increase the velocity of the exhaust gases.
D. reduce the temperature of the exhaust gas.

5. 20 cubic inches of a gas with an absolute pressure of 5 psi is compressed until its pressure reaches 10 psi. What is the new volume of the gas? (Assume that there's no change in temperature.)
A. 5 cubic inches
B. 10 cubic inches
C. 40 cubic inches
D. 100 cubic inches

6. Unlike other kinds of liquids, volatile liquids
A. ignite readily at a relatively low temperature.
B. flow rapidly at a relatively low temperature.
C. evaporate rapidly at a relatively low temperature.
D. freeze readily at a relatively high temperature.

7. A temperature of 273 K is the temperature at which water
A. boils.
B. lacks any moving molecules.
C. evaporates.
D. freezes.

8. Which of the following takes place in the combustion chamber of a gas turbine engine?
A. Fuel oil is stored with sufficient pressure.
B. Fuel oil is mixed with a proper portion of compressed air.
C. A mixture of fuel oil and compressed air is ignited.
D. Gases are cooled to a desired temperature.

9. How much heat energy is required to raise the temperature of 5 kilograms of coal from 20°C to 220°C?
A. 314 J
B. 6,573 J
C. 1,314,718 J
D. 4,187,000 J

10. One degree Celsius indicates the same temperature change as
A. one degree Fahrenheit.
B. one kelvin.
C. 5/9 degree Fahrenheit.
D. 9/5 kelvin.

11. A quantity of a gas has an absolute pressure of 400 kPa and an absolute temperature of 110 degrees kelvin. When the temperature of the gas is raised to 235 degrees kelvin, what is the new pressure of the gas? (Assume that there's no change in volume.)
A. 1.702 kPa
B. 3.636 kPa
C. 510 kPa
D. 854.46 kPa

12. A temperature of 20°C is equivalent to approximately
A. -6°F.
B. 32°F.
C. 68°F.
D. 136°F.

13. If the absolute pressure of a gas is 550.280 kPa, its gage pressure is
A. 101.325 kPa.
B. 277.280 kPa.
C. 448.955 kPa.
D. 651.605 kPa.

14. Which one of the following substances is a liquid fuel used in rocket engines?
A. Liquid oxygen
B. Ammonia
C. Potassium perchlorate
D. Codium nitrate

15. The density of water is the greatest at a temperature of
A. 0 K.
B. 4 K.
C. 273 K.
D. 277 K.

16. In a gasoline engine, the area in the cylinder head where the air-and-fuel mixture is burned is called the
A. piston.
B. cylinder.
C. combustion chamber.
D. intake valve.

17. How much heat is required to convert 0.3 kilogram of ice at 0°C to water at the same temperature?
A. 100,375 J
B. 167,292 J
C. 334,584 J
D. 450,759 J

18. Which of the following cools the air in a household refrigerator?
A. Reduction of the air temperature due to condensation of the gaseous refrigerant
B. The transfer of heat from the air to the compressor due to expansion of the gaseous refrigerant
C. The transfer of heat to the evaporator due to compression of the liquid refrigerant
D. Absorption of the heat from the air due to evaporation of the liquid refrigerant

19. Which one of the following temperatures is equal to 5°C?
A. 0 K
B. 41 K
C. 278 K
D. 465 K

20. Liquid alcohol will change to vapor when its temperature reaches the
A. boiling point.
B. fusing point.
C. freezing point.
D. melting point.

21. A temperature of 200°F is equivalent to approximately
A. 37.8°C.
B. 93.3°C.
C. 232°C.
D. 840°C.

22. A quantity of gas has a volume of 0.20 cubic meter and an absolute temperature of 333 degrees kelvin. When the temperature of the gas is raised to 533 degrees kelvin, what is the new volume of the gas? (Assume that there's no change in pressure.)
A. 0.0006 m3
B. 0.2146 m3
C. 0.2333 m3
D. 0.3198 m3

23. Which of the following statements correctly describes the position of the intake and exhaust valves during most of the power stage in a four-cycle gas engine?
A. The intake valve is closed and the exhaust valve is open.
B. The intake valve is open and the exhaust valve is closed.
C. Both the intake valve and the exhaust valve are closed.
D. Both the intake valve and the exhaust valve are open.

24. What is the length of an aluminum rod at 65°C if its length at 15°C is 1.2 meters?
A. 0.001386 meter
B. 0.00180 meter
C. 1.201386 meters
D. 1.214855 meters

25. Heat from burning fuel warms the walls of the firebox section of the furnace in
A. a hot-air heating system.
B. an evaporation system.
C. a compressor compartment.
D. a hot-water heating system.

SOUND
1. Which one of the following frequencies of a wave in the air can be heard as an audible sound by the human ear?
A. 0.10 Hz
B. 10 Hz
C. 1,000 Hz
D. 100,000 Hz

2. If two waves with equal amplitudes and wavelengths travel through a medium in such a way that a particular particle of the medium is at the crest of one wave and at the trough of the other wave at the same time, what will happen to that particle?
A. The particle will vibrate with double amplitude due to resonance.
B. The particle will remain stationary due to interference.
C. The particle will move halfway to the crest due to reinforcement.
D. The particle will cause beats as a result of the wave combination.

3. Which of the following phenomena is taking place when sound waves are reflected from a surface along parallel lines?
A. Diffusion
B. Absorption
C. Refracting
D. Focusing

4. An overtone that's a whole number multiple of the fundamental frequency of a string is called a
A. harmonic.
B. pitch.
C. discordant sound.
D. scale.

5. Sound waves can't travel through
A. a solid.
B. a liquid.
C. an elastic material.
D. a vacuum.

6. The function of the eardrum in the middle ear is to
A. carry the sound energy to the brain.
B. collect the sound waves.
C. amplify the received sound.
D. vibrate with the frequency of the received sound.

7. A wave with a period of 0.008 second has a frequency of
A. 12.5 Hz.
B. 80 Hz.
C. 125 Hz.
D. 800 Hz.

8. During the process of steel production, the flaws in steel casting are detected by
A. infrasonic vibrations.
B. ultrasonic vibrations.
C. longitudinal vibrations.
D. resonant vibrations.

9. When the temperature of the air is 25°C, the velocity of a sound wave traveling through the air is approximately
A. 320 m/s.
B. 332 m/s.
C. 347 m/s.
D. 357 m/s.

10. In a transverse wave that travels through a medium, the molecules of the medium vibrate
A. in the direction in which the wave travels.
B. at right angles to the direction in which the wave travels.
C. at twice the velocity of the molecules in a longitudinal wave.
D. with smaller amplitudes than the molecules in a longitudinal wave.

11. A wave front has the form of a
A. sine wave.
B. surface of a sphere.
C. straight line.
D. circle.

12. If a source of sound waves is rapidly approaching a person, the sound heard by the person appears to have
A. a frequency higher than the original frequency.
B. a period higher than the original period.
C. an amplitude lower than the original amplitude.
D. a pitch lower than the original pitch.

13. In a stringed musical instrument, the part that vibrates in resonance with the sound waves produced by the strings is called the
A. sounding board.
B. diatonic scale.
C. membrane.
D. reed.

14. If a wave hits a smooth surface at an angle of incidence of 40 degrees, the angle of reflection is
A. 0 degrees.
B. 40 degrees.
C. 80 degrees.
D. 90 degrees.

15. When a tuning fork vibrates over an open pipe and the air in the pipe starts to vibrate, the vibrations in the tube are caused by
A. harmonics.
B. reinforcement.
C. beats.
D. resonance.

16. When a sound from a source is refracted away from the surface of the earth, it gives an indication that the
A. air is cooler than the ground.
B. wind is blowing in the direction of the sound.
C. air has high humidity.
D. ground is cooling faster than the air.

17. A sound that's produced by a single wave at a constant frequency and with no overtones is called
A. a mellow sound.
B. a discordant sound.
C. a pure sound.
D. an average sound.

18. In which one of the following locations can a person hear the echo of a sound?
A. Less than 16.6 meters in front of the reflecting surface
B. At least 33.2 meters behind the reflecting surface
C. At least 16.6 meters in front of the reflecting surface
D. Less than 33.2 meters behind the reflecting surface

19. Rarefaction occurs only in a _______ wave.
A. longitudinal.
B. transverse.
C. sympathetic.
D. forced.

20. If a string vibrates at the fundamental frequency of 528 Hz and also produces an overtone with a frequency of 1,056 Hz, this overtone is the
A. first harmonic.
B. second harmonic.
C. third harmonic.
D. fourth harmonic.

21. A surface receiving sound is moved from its original position to a position three times farther away from the source of the sound. The intensity of the received sound thus becomes
A. three times as low.
B. nine times as low.
C. three times as high.
D. nine times as high.

22. The wavelength of a wave is the distance between
A. the amplitude and the normal position.
B. the crest and the following trough.
C. the rarefaction and the following compression.
D. two consecutive crests.

23. If a person is in front of a smooth surface from which a sound is reflected, the person would hear a sound that
A. has a higher intensity than the sound produced by the source.
B. seems to come from behind the surface.
C. has a higher pitch than the sound produced by the source.
D. seems to lack overtones.

24. In a stringed musical instrument, the sound frequency of a particular string can be increased by
A. lengthening the string.
B. loosening the string.
C. tightening the string.
D. increasing the string's thickness.

25. Through which one of the following mediums is the velocity of a sound wave the greatest?
A. Steel
B. Lead
C. Water
D. Air

If you experience technical difficulty while taking this exam, wait a few minutes and follow the instructions on the FAQ.
Category: Homework
Expert:  Chris M. replied 3 years ago.
THIS ANSWER IS LOCKED!

You need to spend $3 to view this post. Add Funds to your account and buy credits.
Chris M., M.S.W. Social Work
Experience: Master's Degree, strong math and writing skills, experience in one-on-one tutoring (college English)
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
can u solve qestion in fluid mechanics and engineering mechanics
Expert:  Chris M. replied 3 years ago.

Hello Customer,

Unfortunately, I don't have answers to these exams. I would suggest that you make a separate post for each exam with the questions and multiple choices, so that all Homework experts will have an opportunity to assist you.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
ok i will send the qestions