Homework Questions? Ask a Tutor for Answers ASAP
Not a Homework Question?
How JustAnswer Works:
Ask an Expert
Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
Get a Professional Answer
Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
Ask follow up questions if you need to.
100% Satisfaction Guarantee
Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Chris M. Your Own Question
M.S.W. Social Work
Master's Degree, strong math and writing skills, experience in one-on-one tutoring (college English)
Type Your Homework Question Here...
Chris M. is online now
1. In which of the following units is acceleration expressed A.
1. In which of the following units is acceleration expressed?
D. Meters per second squared
2. A stone falls from a ledge and takes 16 seconds to hit the
ground. The stone has an original velocity of 0 m/s. How tall is
A. 1,254.4 meters C. 156.8 meters
B. 313.6 meters D. 78.4 meters
3. A tank with a flat bottom is filled with water to a height of 3.5 meters. What is the pressure
at any point at the bottom of the tank? (You can ignore atmospheric pressure when calculating
A. 3.5 kPa C. 34.3 kPa
B. 3,500 kPa D. 34,300 kPa
4. The ability of a material to transfer heat or electric current is called
A. insulation. C. conductivity.
B. porosity. D. convection.
5. A steel block has a volume of 0.08 m3 and a density of 7,840 kg/m3. What is the force of
gravity acting on the block (the weight) in water?
A. 5,362.56 N C. 6,700.56 N
B. 6,150.64 N D. 7,600.18 N
6. When an automotive battery is fully charged, the sulfuric acid and water mixture will have
a specific gravity of about
A. 0.15. C. 1.3.
B. 1.0. D. 2.5.
7. If an object weighs 39.2 N on Earth, what is its mass?
A. 8 N C. 4 kg
B. 384.16 kg D. 78.4 N
8. If a small-diameter open glass tube is partially immersed in a vessel containing mercury,
the surface of the mercury inside the tube will be
A. lower than the mercury in the vessel, and shaped like the outside of an umbrella.
B. higher than the mercury in the vessel, and shaped like the outside of an umbrella.
C. lower than the mercury in the vessel, and shaped like the inside of a bowl.
D. higher than the mercury in the vessel, and shaped like the inside of a bowl.
9. How much time should be allowed for a 392-km car trip if the car will be traveling at
A. 5.12 hours C. 2.72 hours
B. 3.27 hours D. 0.31 hours
10. A machine has an efficiency of 91%. If the energy supplied to the machine is 4,000 watts,
what is the amount being used for work?
A. 4,091 watts C. 360 watts
B. 43.96 watts D. 3,640 watts
11. What is the kinetic energy of an object that has a mass of 20 kilograms and a speed of
A. 56 J C. 17.2 J
B. 22.8 J D. 7.1 J
12. If a gas has a gage pressure of 206 kPa, its absolute pressure is approximately
A. 2,060 kPa. C. 106 kPa.
B. 306 kPa. D. 20.6 kPa.
13. According to Ptolemy’s model of the movement of celestial bodies,
A. the earth rotates around the sun.
B. the sun is the center of the universe.
C. the earth rotates around the moon.
D. planets orbit in circular paths around the earth.
14. A car with a mass of 1,200 kilograms is moving around a circular curve at a uniform velocity
of 20 meters per second. The centripetal force on the car is 6,000 newtons. What is the
radius of the curve?
A. 160 meters C. 32 meters
B. 80 meters D. 16 meters
15. What force is required to accelerate a body with a mass of 18 kilograms at a rate
of 36 m/s2?
A. 2 N C. 648 N
B. 54 N D. 6,350 N
16. Oil flows upward in the wick of a lantern because of the liquid property called
A. viscosity. C. meniscusity.
B. capillarity. D. density.
17. A car travels from Boston to Hartford in 4 hours. The two cities are 240 kilometers apart.
What was the average speed of the car during the trip?
A. 4 km/hour C. 60 km/hour
B. 36 km/hour D. 960 km/hour
18. Which of the following is the term used to describe a body’s resistance to a change in
A. Inertia C. Gravity
B. Acceleration D
19. If the speed of an object changes from 121 m/s to 98 m/s during a time interval of 12 s,
what is the acceleration of the object?
A. -276 m/s2 C. -18.25 m/s2
B. -1.92 m/s2 D. -11 m/s2
20. An object has a mass of 180 kg on the moon. What is the force of gravity acting on the
object on the moon?
A. 1,764 N C. 10,584 N
B. 294 N D. 684 N
21. In a practical machine, the power output is _______ the power input.
A. smaller than C. equal to
B. larger than D. multiplied by
22. If a stone falls past a bird on a ledge moving at 4 m/s, how fast will the stone be moving
just before it hits the ground below 9 seconds later?
A. 92.2 m/s C. 352.8 m/s
B. 48.2 m/s D. 36 m/s
23. The ratio of output power to input power, in percent, is called
A. conductivity. C. work.
B. efficiency. D. horsepower.
24. An object with a mass of 21 kilograms is lifted through a distance of 7 meters. How much
work is done?
A. 147 J C. 1,440.6 J
B. 29.4 J D. 823.2 J
25. A car with a mass of 2,000 kilograms is moving around a circular curve at a uniform velocity
of 25 meters per second. The curve has a radius of 80 meters. What is the centripetal force
on the car?
A. 625 N C. 15,625 N
B. 703 N D. 20,250 N
1. Which of the following will result in a chemical change?
A. Melting ice to obtain water
B. Evaporating alcohol into vapor
C. Drying wood in a shed
D. Burning coal in a furnace
2. A salt is obtained as a reaction between
A. a nonmetal and a metal.
B. a base and water.
C. an acid and oxygen.
D. a base and an acid.
3. The chemical symbol for sodium is
A. S. C. Na.
B. Sn. D. N.
4. According to Table 1 and the other information in your study unit, which of the following
elements is stable?
A. Neon C. Boron
B. Carbon D. Fluorine
5. The primary metallic element that’s added to steel to make stainless steel is
A. antimony. C. tungsten.
B. silver. D. chromium.
6. The atomic number of oxygen is 8, because oxygen has
A. eight protons in the nucleus.
B. electrons in eight shells.
C. a second shell with eight electrons.
D. an atomic mass of 8.
7. Which one of the following chemical equations is balanced?
A. 2NaCl + H2SO4 ? HCL + NaSO4
B. NH3 + H2O ? 2NH4OH
C. KOH + H2SO4 ? KHSO4 + H2O
D. 2Na + S ? 2NaS
8. Which of the following is one way to prevent the corrosion of iron?
A. Protect the iron from polluted air.
B. Add carbon to the iron.
C. Let the iron develop a natural coat of carbonate.
D. Paint exposed iron parts with protective paint.
9. Which one of the following groups of chemical compounds is composed entirely of
A. C2H4O, CH2O, CaSO4, C3H5(OH)3
B. C6H6, C2H5OH, C6H5CH3, C3H5(NO3)3
C. C2H2, CH4, CaCl2, CaCN2
D. Ch3OCH3, Ca3(PO4)2, CO2, H2CO3
10. According to the periodic table in your study unit, the element fluorine is classified as a
A. metal. C. alkali metal.
B. metalloid. D. halogen.
11. The molecular mass of sodium oxide (Na2O) is
A. 22.98977. C. 45.97954.
B. 38.98917. D. 61.97894.
12. Which of the following is represented in the highest percentage by volume in dry air?
A. Oxygen C. Carbon dioxide
B. Nitrogen D. Hydrogen
13. Sodium is preferred over potassium in industrial applications because
A. sodium salts are easily decomposed.
B. sodium is produced more economically.
C. potassium oxidizes more slowly in air.
D. potassium has a higher melting temperature.
14. In the process of electrolysis, current can flow through a liquid because
A. cations of the electrolyte accumulate at the positive electrodes.
B. hydrogen is electrically neutralized in the solution.
C. water molecules become negatively charged.
D. negative ions are attracted to the anode.
15. In the chemical equation Zn + 2HCL ? ZnCl2 + H2, the reactants are
A. zinc chloride and hydrogen.
B. zinc and hydrogen carbonate.
C. zinc chlorate and water.
D. zinc and hydrochloric acid.
16. If water and oil are combined in a container, the resulting liquid is a(n)
A. emulsion. C. solution.
B. suspension. D. mixture.
17. Which one of the following statements about sulfuric acid is correct?
A. Sulfuric acid is a known muriatic acid.
B. Sulfuric acid is a strong oxidizing agent.
C. Sulfuric acid has little effect on metals.
D. Sulfuric acid is dangerous to living organisms.
18. The valence of aluminum is +3, and the valence of chlorine is –1. The formula for
aluminum chloride is correctly written as
A. Al3Cl. C. ClAl3.
B. AlCl3. D. Cl3Al.
19. An atom of chlorine has several valence electrons in its
A. nucleus. C. second shell.
B. first shell. D. third shell.
20. The names of the compounds FeS, NaCl, NaOH, and Pb(CN)2 all end in the suffix
A. -ide. C. -ic.
B. -ite. D. -ate.
21. Which one of the following is a characteristic of a metal?
A. Conducts heat readily
B. Changes the color of litmus paper to red
C. Reacts with bases to produce salts
D. Becomes negative when combined with other elements
22. Examine the following unbalanced chemical equation: CO2 + C ? CO.
Which of the following is the correctly balanced form of this equation?
A. 2CO2 + C ? CO C. CO2 + C2 ? CO
B. CO2 + C ? 2CO D. CO2 + C ? C2O
23. One atom of silicon can properly be combined in a compound with
A. one atom of chlorine. C. three atoms of hydrogen.
B. two atoms of oxygen. D. four atoms of calcium.
24. Which one of the following formulas represents an aldehyde?
A. C6H10O5 C. C2H5OH
B. C2H4O D. CH3COOH
25. In a nuclear reaction, energy is released by the combination of two elements into a new
element. This process is an example of
A. natural radioactivity. C. nuclear fusion.
B. artificial disintegration. D. nuclear
5 years ago.
Share this conversation
replied 5 years ago.
THIS ANSWER IS LOCKED!
You need to spend $3 to view this post.
to your account and buy credits.
Chris M. and 6 other Homework Specialists are ready to help you
Ask your own question now
Share this conversation
Related Homework Questions
Need help for Java program,
Refer to the Excel file Salary (attached to the assignment)
I have a microsoft viso revison assighnbment thats due in 12
In Excel for Mac (2011 and 2015 at least), popout comments
How would you respond to Carol? Describe issues you yourself
For LogicPro - Remote help"
For LogicPro only
Can you assist
Write 5 page on the struggle for civil rights in the United
Stem cells. Your friend had a spinal cord injury after a bad
Ask a Tutor
Get a Professional Answer. 100% Satisfaction Guaranteed.
56 Tutors are Online Now
Type Your Homework Question Here...
Terms of Service
Privacy & Security
© 2003-2016 JustAnswer LLC