Linda_us
Linda_us, Finance, Accounts & Homework Tutor
Experience:  Post Graduate Diploma in Management (MBA)

I have 2 assignments that I am going to need some help with

I have 2 assignments that I am going to need some help with tomorrow. One I have posted below and the other is time sensitive so I will not be able to post it now. I will pay you very well with bonus. Does 10:00am eastern sound good? Value $40 for both plus tip.

1) Below are cost and measures of activity in a variety of organizations. Classify each cost as variable or fixed with respect to the indicated measure of activity by listing out the numbered item and a “V” for variable or an “F” for fixed cost. For example: 1F, 2F, etc.
# XXXXX Measure of Activity
1 The cost of X-ray film used in the radiology lab at Virginia Madison Hospital in Seattle. Number of X-rays taken
2 The cost of advertising a rock concert in New York City. Number of rock concert tickets sold
3 The cost of renting retail space for a McDonald’s restaurant in Hong Kong. Total sales at the restaurant
4 The electrical cost of running a roller coaster at Magic Mountain. Number of times the roller coaster is run
5 Property taxes paid by your local cinema theater. Number of tickets sold
6 The cost of sales commissions paid to salespersons at a Nordstrom store. Total sales at the store
7 Property insurance on a Coca-Cola bottling plant. Number of cases of bottles produced
8 The costs of synthetic materials used to make a particular model of running shoe. Number of shoes that model produced
9 The costs of shipping Panasonic televisions to retail stores. The number of televisions sold
10 The cost of leasing an ultra scan diagnostic machine at the American Hospital in Paris. The number of patients who are scanned with the machine

2) Northwest Hospital is a full-service hospital that provides everything from major surgery and emergency room care to outpatient clinics. For each cost incurrent at Northwest Hospital, indicate whether it would most likely be a direct cost or indirect cost of the specified cost object by listing the number and a “D” for direct or an “I” for indirect. For example: 1D, 2D, etc.
# XXXXX Cost Objective
1 The wages of pediatric nurses The pediatric department
2 Prescription drugs A particular patient
3 Heating the hospital The pediatric department
4 The salary of the head of pediatrics The pediatric department
5 The salary of the head of pediatrics A particular pediatric patient
6 Hospital chaplain’s salary A particular patient
7 Lab tests by outside contractor A particular patient
8 Lab tests by outside contractor A particular department
3) Northwest Hospital is a full-service hospital that provides everything from major surgery and emergency room care to outpatient clinics. The hospital’s Radiology department is considering replacing an old inefficient X-ray machine with a state of the art digital machine. The new machine would provide higher quality X-rays in less time and at a lower cost per X-ray. It would also require less power and would use a color laser printer to produce easily readable X-ray images. Instead of investing the funds in the in the new X-ray machine, the Laboratory Department is lobbying the hospital’s management to buy a new DNA analyzer.
For each of items below, indicate whether it should be considered a differential cost (DC), an opportunity cost (OC) or a sunk cost (SC) in the decision to replace the old X-ray machine with a new machine. If none of the categories apply for a particular item, please put (NA) next to the number for “none apply”. Please list the number and the 2 digit abbreviation next to it so for example, 1.OC, 2. SC, etc.
1. Cost of the old X-ray machine
2. The salary of the head of the Radiology Department
3. The salary of the head of the of the Pediatrics Department
4. Cost of the new color laser printer
5. Rent on the space occupied by Radiology
6. The cost of maintaining the old machine
7. Benefits from a new DNA analyzer
8. Cost of electricity to run the X-ray machine
4) Various costs associated with the operation of factors are given below. Classify each cost as either variable or fixed with respect to the number of units produced and sold. Also indicate whether each cost would typically be treated as a direct cost or an indirect cost with respect to units of product. List each numbered item with either a “V” for variable or an “F” for fixed AND either a “D” for direct cost or “I” for indirect cost so for example: 1.VD, 2. FI, etc.
1. Electricity to run production equipment.
2. Rent on a factory building.
3. Cloth used to make drapes.
4. Production superintendent’s salary.
5. Wages of laborers assembling a product.
6. Depreciation of air purification equipment used to make furniture.
7. Janitorial salaries.
8. Peaches used in canning fruit.
9. Lubricants for production equipment.
10. Sugar used in soft-drink production.
11. Property taxes on the factory.
12. Wages of workers painting a product.
13. Depreciation on cafeteria equipment.
14. Insurance on a building used in producing helicopters.
15. Cost of rotor blades used in producing helicopters.
Category: Homework
Expert:  Linda_us replied 3 years ago.

HiCustomer/p>

Thanks for requesting me. Whats your deadline your deadline for this question? For timed assignment 10 AM is fine with me.

Regards

Linda

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
My deadline for this set of questions is tomorrow by 10am eastern. I also have a time sensitive assignment I am going to need help with tomorrow too. Can you also help me with my time sensitive assignment as well tomorrow? I will tip very well.
Expert:  Linda_us replied 3 years ago.

I will post the solution for this before the deadline and will be there tomorrow at 10 for the timed assignment.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Thanks!!!!! I have two more questions that I need help with now and need back asap today. Can you also help me with these? Value $15 + tip for these 2 q's. I have already answered half of one of them I just need more examples. See questions below:

Q5)
Two members of the management team were looking at the current cost structure and what would need to be considered in a future decision they were facing. One of the managers states, “only variable cost can be differential costs”. Do you agree with this statement? Explain. Give examples.

STARTED ANSWER:
I disagree with this statement. A Differential cost is a difference in cost between two alternatives, it includes both incremental costs and decremental costs. Differential Costs can be either variable or fixed. A variable cost is a cost that varies, in total, in direct proportion to changes in the level of activity. A variable cost is constant per unit. A fixed cost is a cost that remains constant, in total, regardless of changes in the level of activity within the relevant range. If a fixed cost is expressed on a per unit basis, it varies inversely with the level of activity (Accounting for Management, 2011 p.

Q6)
Why is manufacturing overhead considered an indirect cost of a unit of product? Are there any situations where this could be considered a direct cost of a unit of product and if so, how? Explain.
Expert:  Linda_us replied 3 years ago.
I am working on them but it might take 30-40 minutes.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Sounds good I am stepping away for a few minutes but will accept your answer when I get back
Expert:  Linda_us replied 3 years ago.
I have answered that I your other post. I will work on your other assignments now.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Hi Linda! I hope that you are doing well! When were you expecting to have the below back to me? Also, are we still on for the timed assignment at 10am est? If you need a bit more time please let me know.

) Below are cost and measures of activity in a variety of organizations. Classify each cost as variable or fixed with respect to the indicated measure of activity by listing out the numbered item and a “V” for variable or an “F” for fixed cost. For example: 1F, 2F, etc.
# XXXXX Measure of Activity

# XXXXX Cost Objective
1. Cost of the old X-ray machine
4. Cost of the new color laser printer
7. Benefits from a new DNA analyzer
2. Rent on a factory building.
3. Cloth used to make drapes.
4. Production superintendent’s salary.
7. Janitorial salaries.
8. Peaches used in canning fruit.
9. Lubricants for production equipment.
11. Property taxes on the factory.
Expert:  Linda_us replied 3 years ago.
HiCustomerbr/>
Please Click here for Solution

I am also ready for the next assignment.

Regards

Linda
Experience: Post Graduate Diploma in Management (MBA)
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
I need this back in 1 hour.

1. A manufacturing plant produces two product lines: football equipment and hockey equipment. Direct costs for the football equipment line are the: (Points : 2)
beverages provided daily in the plant break room
monthly lease payments for a specialized piece of equipment needed to manufacture the football helmet
salaries of the clerical staff that work in the company administrative offices
utilities paid for the manufacturing plant

2. When the level of activity decreases within the relevant range, the fixed cost per unit will: (Points : 2)
decrease.
increase.
remain the same.
The effect cannot be predicted.

3. At a sales volume of 20,000 units, Choice Corporation's sales commmissions (a cost that is variable with respect to sales volume) total $132,000.
To the nearest whole dollar, what should be the total sales commissions at a sales volume of 18,400 units? (Assume that this sales volume is within the relevant range.)

(Points : 2)
$126,720
$132,000
$121,440
$143,478

4. Within the relevant range, as the number of units produced increases: (Points : 2)
the variable cost per unit remains the same.
fixed costs in total remain the same.
variable costs increase in total.
all of these.

5. The annual insurance premium for the factory building would be a: (Points : 2)
fixed cost, period cost, and indirect cost with regard to units of product.
fixed cost, product cost, and direct cost with regards XXXXX XXXXX of product.
variable cost, product cost, direct cost with regard to units of product.
fixed cost, product cost, indirect cost with regard to units of product.

6. At a sales volume of 20,000 units, Choice Corporation's sales commmissions (a cost that is variable with respect to sales volume) total $132,000.
To the nearest whole cent, what should be the average sales commission per unit at a sales volume of 18,500 units? (Assume that this sales volume is within the relevant range.)

(Points : 2)
$6.60
$6.87

$7.17
$7.14

7. The fixed portion of the cost of electricity for a manufacturing plant is:
a. Period cost
b. Product cost

(Points : 2)
a. Yes, b. No
a. Yes, b. Yes
a. No, b. Yes
a. No, b. No

8. Mendoza, Inc. manufactures and sells aluminum dishes for camping and outdoor enthusiasts through a mail order catalog operation. Large rectangular sheets of aluminum are purchased by Mendoza. These sheets are cut down into smaller squares and are then fed into a machine where they are trimmed down into a circular shape. These aluminum circles are then fed into a stamping machine where they are formed into plates and bowls. After production, the dishes are shipped to warehouses where they are packed and then shipped to customers.
Which of the following terms could be used to correctly describe the cost of electricity used to run the stamping machine?

(Points : 2)
direct labor cost
administrative cost
opportunity cost
manufacturing overhead cost

9. The potential benefit that is given up when one alternative is selected over another is called: (Points : 2)
A sunk cost.
An opportunity cost.
Both a sunk cost and an opportunity cost.
Neither a sunk cost nor an opportunity cost.

10. Costs that must be allocated to products for external reporting purposes include: (Points : 2)
selling and marketing costs
direct material and direct labor costs
the cost of equipment used to manufacture several different products
All of these are correct.

11. Mark is an engineer who has designed a telecommunications device. He is convinced that there is a big potential market for the device. Accordingly, he has decided to quit his present job and start a company to manufacture and market the device.
The salary that Mark earns at his present employ is:

(Points : 2)
a variable cost
a fixed cost
a product cost
an opportunity cost

12. Direct costs: (Points : 2)
are incurred to benefit a particular accounting period.
are incurred due to a specific decision.
can be easily traced to a particular cost object.
are the variable costs of producing a product.

13. Cost behavior refers to: (Points : 2)
how costs react to a change in the level of activity
whether a cost is incurred in a manufacturing, merchandising, or service company
classifying costs as either product or period costs
whether a particular expense has been ethically incurred

14. An understanding of the underlying behavior of costs helps in all of the following EXCEPT: (Points : 2)
sales volume can be better estimated
costs can be better estimated as volume expands and contracts
true costs of processes can be better evaluated
process inefficiencies can be better identified and, as a result, improved

15. At a sales volume of 20,000 units, total costs are $55,000. The company's variable cost per unit is $1.50. What should be the total fixed cost at a sales volume of 30,000 units, assuming that is within the relevant range. (Points : 2)
$25,000
$30,000
$45,000
Cannot be determined

16. The following cost data pertains to the operations of Ladwig Department Stores, Inc., for the month of December.
Corporate legal office salaries: $68,000
Shoe Department cost of sales, Brentwood Store: $66,000
Corporate headquarters building lease: $86,000
Store manager's salary, Brentwood Store: $10,000
Shoe Department sales commissions, Brentwood Store: $5,000
Store utilities, Brentwood Store: $11,000
Shoe Department manager's salary, Brentwood Store: $3,000
Central warehouse lease cost: $3,000
Janitorial costs, Brentwood Store: $11,000

The Brentwood store is just one of many stores owned and operated by the company. The Shoe department is one of the many departments at the Brentwood store. The central warehouse serves all of the company's stores.

What is the total amount of the costs listed above that are NOT direct costs of the Brentwood store?

(Points : 2)
$74,000
$32,000
$157,000
$86,000

17. A sunk cost is: (Points : 2)
a cost that is planned to be incurred in the near future.
irrelevant for decision making.
a cost connected with drilling for oil
affected by changes in the level of activity.

18. The terms "direct cost" and "indirect cost" are commonly used in cost accounting. Classifying a cost as either direct or indirect depends upon: (Points : 2)
the behavior of the cost in response to volume changes
whether the cost is expended in the period in which it is incurred
whether the cost can be related readily to resources consumed for a cost object
whether an expenditure is unavoidable because it cannot be changed regardless of any action taken

19. An example of a cost object is: (Points : 2)
a bicycle
an individual fast food franchise
the produce department of a grocery store
All of the above are correct.

20. Mark is an engineer who has designed a telecommunications device. He is convinced that there is a big potential market for the device. Accordingly, he has decided to quit his present job and start a company to manufacture and market the device.
The cost of the raw materials that will be used in manufacturing the computer board is:

(Points : 2)
a sunk cost
a fixed cost
a period cost
a variable cost

Value $20 + Tip
Expert:  Linda_us replied 3 years ago.
I got it and working on it.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Great! Thanks!
Expert:  Linda_us replied 3 years ago.
THIS ANSWER IS LOCKED!
You can view this answer by clicking here to Register or Login and paying $3.
If you've already paid for this answer, simply Login.