Neo
Neo, Tutor
Experience:  BS Accounting
4224391

Neo, Could you complete the following accounting problems for

Neo, Could you complete the following accounting problems for me? I am willing to offer you a $25.00 bonus. Please inform me asap if this is possible.

Northwood Company manufactures basketballs. The company has a ball that sells for $25. At present,
the ball is manufactured in a small plant that relies heavily on direct labor workers. Thus, variable
costs are high, totaling $15 per ball, of which 60% is direct labor cost.
Last year, the company sold 30,000 of these balls, with the following results:

Sales (30,000 balls). . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . $750,000
Variable expenses . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . 450,000
Contribution margin . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . 300,000
Fixed expenses . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . 210,000
Net operating income . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . $ 90,000

1. Compute (a) the CM ratio and the break-even point in balls, and (b) the degree of operating
leverage at last year’s sales level.

2. Due to an increase in labor rates, the company estimates that variable costs will increase by $3
per ball next year. If this change takes place and the selling price per ball remains constant at
$25, what will be the new CM ratio and break-even point in balls?

3. Refer to the data in (2) above. If the expected change in variable costs takes place, how many
balls will have to be sold next year to earn the same net operating income ($90,000) as last
year?

4. Refer again to the data in (2) above. The president feels that the company must raise the selling
price of its basketballs. If Northwood Company wants to maintain the same CM ratio as
last year, what selling price per ball must it charge next year to cover the increased labor
costs?

5. Refer to the original data. The company is discussing the construction of a new, automated
manufacturing plant. The new plant would slash variable costs per ball by 40%, but it would
cause fi xed costs per year to double. If the new plant is built, what would be the company’s
new CM ratio and new break-even point in balls?

6. Refer to the data in (5) above.

a. If the new plant is built, how many balls will have to be sold next year to earn the same
net operating income, $90,000, as last year?

b. Assume the new plant is built and that next year the company manufactures and sells
30,000 balls (the same number as sold last year). Prepare a contribution format income
statement and compute the degree of operating leverage.

c. If you were a member of top management, would you have been in favor of constructing
the new plant? Explain.
Category: Homework
Expert:  Neo replied 3 years ago.
Good day!

Please download HERE.

Please do not forget to click the Accept button.

Thank you so much! :)
Neo, Tutor
Experience: BS Accounting
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Neo I can download your file. Could you please submit the assignment in some other form.
Expert:  Neo replied 3 years ago.
THIS ANSWER IS LOCKED!
You can view this answer by clicking here to Register or Login and paying $3.
If you've already paid for this answer, simply Login.
Neo, Tutor
Experience: BS Accounting