Chris M.
Chris M., M.S.W. Social Work
Experience:  Master's Degree, strong math and writing skills, experience in one-on-one tutoring (college English)
22285537

36. A neurotransmitter is released into a synapse, but it has

36. A neurotransmitter is released into a synapse, but it has no effect on a neighboring neuron. Which of the following best accounts for the unresponsiveness of the neighboring neuron?
A) The neighboring neuron does not contain any neurotransmitters of its own.
B) The neighboring neuron has an outer membrane.
C) The neighboring neuron's vesicles are defective.
D) The neighboring neuron's receptors do not accept this type of neurotransmitter.

37. Claude, a foreign exchange student from France, is teaching Kelli how to say a couple of sentences in French. Kelli repeats each sentence a few times, but has no idea what the individual sounds mean. By repeating the words, Kelli is doing ______.
A) attentional focusing
B) semantic encoding
C) structural encoding
D) elaborative rehearsal
E) maintenance rehearsal

38. Of the following, which is the most likely explanation for the fact that people tend to respond quicker to the question "Can a bat fly?" than they do to "Is a bat a mammal?"
A) They probably have a stronger mental association between "bat" and "fly" than between "bat" and "mammal."
B) The first question requires a deeper level of processing.
C) The primacy effect focuses people's attention on the information they first learned about bats.
D) The first question can be answered using short-term memory, whereas the second question requires the use of long-term memory.

39. Multiple sclerosis is a disease in which the immune system mistakenly destroys some of the myelin wrapped around nerve cell fibers. Which nerve cell fibers are being attacked by this process?
A) mitochondria
B) synapses
C) dendrites
D) axons

40. When you hear the phrase "birthday party," you might think of a cake, candles, presents, and balloons. These form part of your ______ for birthday parties.
A) flashbulb memory
B) schema
C) primacy effect
D) sensory register

41. Dr. Etzel has a hard time remembering her students' names when she runs into them outside of school. This effect is most likely due to which of the following?
A) context-dependent memory
B) state-dependent memory
C) retroactive interference/inhibition
D) proactive interference/inhibition
E) motivated forgetting
F) the primacy effect

42. Why does elaborative rehearsal help us remember information?
A) It prevents encoding from interfering with the information.
B) It allows us to store information in an organized manner, making it easy to access for later retrieval.
C) It changes the information into a different format (for example, visual information into auditory information, or vice versa).
D) It allows us to keep repeating the information over and over.

43. Short-term memory performs three functions. Which of the following is NOT among these three functions?
A) It promotes storage of information in long-term memory if we elaborate on that information.
B) It selectively attends to information that is relevant.
C) It holds information for a short time.
D) It passes information back to sensory memory, which allows for accurate sensations of the world.

44. Motion pictures rely on the fact that we perceive a series of rapidly presented still pictures as though there was motion. Which of the following is necessary in order for us to be able to do this?
A) maintenance rehearsal
B) photographic memory
C) the brief lingering of iconic memory before fading
D) the brief lingering of echoic memory before fading
E) the deep level of processing required for semantic encoding

45. What type of memory must you use to determine the answer to this question? What type of memory must you use to write the answer to this question and then to enter it into ANGEL?
A) semantic memory; procedural memory
B) implicit memory; explicit memory
C) episodic memory; procedural memory
D) semantic memory; episodic memory
E) procedural memory; declarative memory

46. Sly is assigned a locker in a gym class with the combination 19, 50, 4. In order to remember it, he thinks of it as the year 1954. His method of remembering BEST illustrates ______.
A) none of the other choices is correct
B) decoding
C) maintenance rehearsal
D) chunking
E) attention
Category: Homework
Expert:  Chris M. replied 3 years ago.
THIS ANSWER IS LOCKED!
You can view this answer by clicking here to Register or Login and paying $3.
If you've already paid for this answer, simply Login.
Chris M., M.S.W. Social Work
Experience: Master's Degree, strong math and writing skills, experience in one-on-one tutoring (college English)