Scott
Scott, MIT Graduate
Experience:  MIT Graduate (Math, Programming, Science, and Music)
3546829

nolonger needed thanks

Customer Question

1. The amount of information long-term memory is capable of holding is extremely ______, perhaps even unlimited. 2. There are two types of declarative memories. One type, called ______ memory, contains general facts that can be known to anyone, such as that Monday follows Sunday and the Earth is the third planet from the Sun. This type of memory is what we consider as knowledge. It is typically encoded automatically if the information is of personal interest to us (e.g., the latest celebrity gossip and the current holder of the record for home runs in Major League Baseball) and effortfully if the information is unfamiliar or complicated information (e.g., the description of the levels-of-processing model of memory or the difference between Sunni Arabs and Shiite Arabs). 3. There are two types of declarative memories. One type, called ______ memory, contains your personal facts and experiences, such as the first time you got a speeding ticket or the last item you purchased. This type of long-term memory is also called "autobiographical memory" and is typically encoded automatically. 4. Sequences of movements necessary for various skills and habits, such as throwing a baseball or washing your hair, are stored in ______ memory and are typically encoded automatically. 5. We organize our knowledge of the world into semantic networks, comprised of interlinked mental categories called ______. 6. We form mental links, called ______, that indicate the relationship between related concepts within our semantic networks. 7. Concepts and propositions give rise to ______, or our organized knowledge about different objects and events based on our previous experience with the objects and events. 8. According to the ______ model of memory, new information entering long-term memory from short-term memory synergistically interacts with the information already stored in long-term memory. Thus, new information changes your existing schemas of the world and, conversely, your existing schemas alter how you think about, encode and store new information. 9. ______ is the mental process of incorporating newly encountered information into an existing schema, even if the new information needs to be mentally distorted. 10. ______ is the mental process of adjusting and adapting a preexisting schema so that it is consistent with newly encountered information. 11. Of the mental processes in the two previous questions, which do we do first? 12. The basic memory process of ______ involves locating and recovering information from long-term memory, bringing back to short-term memory and conscious awareness. 13. ______ memory occurs when we intentionally recollect information. We subjectively identify it as memory. 14. ______ memory occurs when we unintentionally recollect and are influence by prior experiences. Because we are unaware when we are using it, we do not identify it as a memory. 15. ______ are mental hints or environmental stimuli that jog memory retrieval. 16. ______ involve cues from your external environment present at the time you encoded information into long-term memory that help (or hinder) later retrieval of the information. 17. ______ involves cues from your internal environment present at the time you encoded information into long-term memory that help (or hinder) later retrieval of the information. 18. The ______ model of memory helps explain why context- and state-dependent retrieval cues are effective. This model states that it is easier to retrieve information out of long-term memory if we do so in the same manner as it was encoded into long-term memory. 19. Memories are sketchy, often distorted, reconstructions of the past based on partly on actual events but mostly on a person's ______ about those events, literally determining what we perceive and remember.
Category: Homework