SmartTutor
SmartTutor, Graduate Student
Experience:  B.S. in Business Management w/ 3.49 GPA. Over 4 years of experience in tutoring variety subjects
35144139

CHAPTER 16 11) Although the image of the 19th century

Customer Question

CHAPTER 16

11) Although the image of the 19th century West is of thinly populated, wide -open spaces, by the late 1870s ________ already had almost 250,000 inhabitants.

A) Las Vegas

B) Sante Fe

C) Tucson

D) San Francisco

E) Dallas

12) One of the worst massacres committed by white troops in the Indian Wars occurred in 1864 at

A) Medicine Lodge.

B) Sand Creek.

C) Fort Sully .

D) Horse Creek.

E) Lone Butte .

13) One of the reasons that a relative handful of Indians could hold off the battle-hardened Civil

War veterans of the U.S. Army was because the

A) Indians had a highly effective centralized leadership.

B) U.S. Army had fewer than 2,000 soldiers to cover over ten million square miles.

C) Indian leaders were skillful at organizing campaigns.

D) U.S. Army units were not equipped with the latest technology--carbines and Colt

revolvers.

E) Indians were superb guerilla warriors--the best cavalry soldiers in the world.

14) The two reasons your text cites for why fighting on the Plains slackened after Custer's 1876

defeat are

A) epidemic diseases and malnutrition among the tribes.

B) the increased settlement by homesteaders and the formation of territorial governments.

C) the tribes who defeated Custer either fled to Canada or accepted reservation life.

D) President Grant's "peace policy" and the effects of Christian missionaries among the

tribes.

E) the building of the transcontinental railroad and the destruction of the buffalo.

15) In 1887, Congress passed the Dawes Severalty Act, which was intended to

A) persuade Indians to abandon their traditional tribal cultures.

B) protect tribal life and customs.

C) encourage Native American crafts and trades.

D) place all Native Americans on reservations.

E) prevent whites from settling on traditional Indian lands.

16) Roughing It (1872) by Mark Twain provides us with our most famous pictures of the

A) last Plains Indian wars.

B) open range cattle industry.

C) farmers' last frontier.

D) mining frontier.

E) steamboating on the Mississippi .

17) After the Homestead Act had been in effect for several years, Congress concluded that it

A) should be repealed because it was so fraud-ridden.

B) had worked better than they expected.

C) did not allow enough acreage for farms west of the Mississippi .

D) provided a needed "safety valve" for eastern workers.

E) had unfortunately allowed whites to take Indian lands.

18) The two railroads joined in 1869 to form the first transcontinental railroad were the

A) Great Northern and the Northern Pacific.

B) Chicago , Burlington and Quincy , and the New York Central.

C) Kansas Pacific and the Chesapeake and Ohio .

D) Central Pacific and the Union Pacific.

E) Southern Pacific and the Texas and Pacific.

19) Open-range ranching in the late 19th century required

A) pedigree Hereford stock.

B) miles of fences.

C) large land holdings.

D) control of a stable water supply.

E) special permits issued by state legislatures.

20) Your textbook concludes that the "conquest of the frontier" was

A) mythical because Americans were always finding new frontiers.

B) by and large invisible to Americans of the day and never really captured the imagination

of Americans.

C) a way to evade the destructive consequences of national policies by making them seem to

be an expression of human progress.

D) one of the most brutal examples of imperialism in world history.

E) a valuable means to examine the destructive consequences of national policies rather

than seeing them as a natural part of human progress.
Category: Homework
Expert:  SmartTutor replied 3 years ago.
THIS ANSWER IS LOCKED!
You can view this answer by clicking here to Register or Login and paying $3.
If you've already paid for this answer, simply Login.