M Hasan
M Hasan, Teacher
Experience:  BA (Hons) in Mathematics from Oxford University

A person travels by car from one city to another with different

A person travels by car from one city to another with different constant speeds between pairs of cities. She drives for 30.0 min at 50.0 km/h, 14.0 min at 65.0 km/h and 35.0 min at 55.0 km/h, and spends 35.0 min eating lunch and buying gas.
(a) Determine the average speed for the trip.
1 km/h

(b) Determine the distance between the initial and final cities along this route.
2 km

Two boats start together and race across a 60 km wide lake and back. Boat A goes across at 60 km/h and returns at 60 km/h. Boat B goes across at 30 km/h, and its crew, realizing how far behind it is getting, returns at 90 km/h. Turnaround times are negligible, and the boat that completes the round-trip first wins.
(a) Which boat wins? (Or is it a tie?)
1
boat A
boat B
it's a tie
.
By how much?
2 km

(b) What is the average velocity of the winning boat?
3 km/h

A certain car is capable of accelerating at a rate of +0.80 m/s2. How long does it take for this car to go from a speed of 15 mi/h to a speed of 75 mi/h?
1 s

A car is traveling east at 24.4 m/s at some instant.
(a) If its constant acceleration is 0.750 m/s2 due east, find its velocity after 6.80 s have elapsed.
1 m/s 2 ---Select--- East West

(b) If its constant acceleration is 0.750 m/s2 due west, find its velocity after 8.50 s have elapsed.
3 m/s 4 ---Select--- East West

A truck covers 40.0 m in 9.30 s while smoothly slowing down to a final velocity of 1.40 m/s.
(a) Find the truck's original speed.
1 m/s

(b) Find its acceleration.
2 m/s2
A ball is thrown vertically upward with a speed of +15.0 m/s.
(a) How high does it rise?
1 m

(b) How long does it take to reach its highest point?
2 s

(c) How long does the ball take to hit the ground after it reaches its highest point?
3 s

(d) What is its velocity when it returns to the level from which it started?
4 m/s

If the velocity of a particle is nonzero, can the particle's acceleration be zero? Explain why.
1
yes
no

If a car is traveling eastward, can its acceleration be westward? Explain Why.
1
yes
no

An arrow is shot straight up in the air at an initial speed of 15.0 m/s. After how much time is the arrow heading downward at a speed of 8.00 m/s?

When applying the equations of kinematics for an object moving in one dimension, which of the following statements must be true?

The velocity of the object must increase with time.
The velocity of the object must always be in the same direction as its acceleration.
The acceleration of the object must remain constant.
The position of the object must increase with time.
The velocity of the object must remain constant.

A juggler throws a bowling pin straight up in the air. After the pin leaves his hand and while it is in the air, which statement is true?

The velocity of the pin is in the same direction as its acceleration on the way up.
The velocity of the pin is never in the same direction as its acceleration.
The velocity of the pin is opposite its acceleration on the way up.
The velocity of the pin is always in the same direction as its acceleration.
The acceleration of the pin is zero.

Two students are on a balcony 20.4 m above the street. One student throws a ball (ball 1) vertically downward at 11.0 m/s; at the same instant, the other student throws a ball (ball 2) vertically upward at the same speed. The second ball just misses the balcony on the way down.
(a) What is the difference in the two ball's time in the air?
1 s

(b) What is the velocity of each ball as it strikes the ground? ball 1 magnitude 2 m/s
direction 3 ---Select--- upward downward
ball 2 magnitude 4 m/s
direction 5 ---Select--- upward downward

(c) How far apart are the balls 0.900 s after they are thrown?
6 m
Category: Homework
Expert:  M Hasan replied 3 years ago.
THIS ANSWER IS LOCKED!

You need to spend $3 to view this post. Add Funds to your account and buy credits.
M Hasan, Teacher
Experience: BA (Hons) in Mathematics from Oxford University