Chris M.
Chris M., M.S.W. Social Work
Experience:  Master's Degree, strong math and writing skills, experience in one-on-one tutoring (college English)

For Chris M Hi, I need the answers from penn foster exam 05044600. Thanks. PENN

For Chris M
Hi, I need the answers from penn foster exam 05044600.
Thanks.

PENN FOSTER EXAM NUMBER: 05044600

1. A reflex, like automatically removing your hand from a hot
stove, involves pain messages sent to the spinal cord by way
of _______ neurons, while the movement of your hand is
controlled by _______ neurons.
A. somatic; sensory
B. sensory; motor
C. somatic; sympathetic
D. motor; sensory
2. By means of introspection, Dr. Marsh attempts to determine
the components of things like perception, thinking, and consciousness.
By contrast, Dr. Smyth wants to understand what
the mind does in producing different kinds of behavior. We
can reasonably assume that Dr. Marsh’s research is mainly
guided by the principles of
A. structuralism. C. functionalism.
B. objectivism. D. Gestalt psychology.

3. Under Weber’s law, we’ll notice a stimulus difference such that it will be a constant
proportion of the intensity of the initial stimulus. Thus, for weight, we’ll notice a
1-ounce difference in a weight of 50 ounces. Weber’s law applies most directly to the
concept of
A. sensory adaptation. C. difference threshold.
B. perceived stimulus. D. absolute threshold.
4. Jason argues that the pituitary gland’s only purpose is regulating the activity of other
glands in the body. Barbara maintains that the pituitary gland also regulates growth.
Who is correct?
A. Jason is correct. C. Both are partially correct.
B. Barbara is correct. D. Neither is correct.
5. Among the advanced technologies used to study the brain’s structure and functions,
which one provides detailed three-dimensional images of the brain’s structures and
activities?
A. Electroencephalogram
B. Positron emission tomography
C. Functional magnetic resonance imaging
D. Transcranial magnetic stimulation
6. I study a sample of 100 high school students and find that student IQ scores increase
significantly as the level of reported parental income increases. I can conclude from
this that
A. there’s a negative relationship between parental income and children’s IQ scores.
B. students get smarter when their parents earn more money.
C. there’s a positive correlation between parental income and children’s IQ scores.
D. higher parental income causes an increase in children’s IQ scores.
7. Regarding the trichromatic theory of color vision, which statement is most accurate?
A. The theory helps us understand why we see afterimages of different colors.
B. The theory maintains that receptor cells are grouped in pairs, such as black-white.
C. Specialized cells in the retina engage in a process called feature detection.
D. Specialized cells in the retina are sensitive to blue-violet, green, and yellow.
8. You could locate receptor sites involved in transmitting a nerve impulse by finding the
A. myelin. C. synapse.
B. endorphins. D. neural regulators.

9. The left hemisphere of the cerebral cortex is more specialized in language functions
and processing information sequentially. The right hemisphere tends to specialize in
spatial perception and distinguishing patterns. These are examples of cortex
A. adaptation. C. evolution.
B. lateralization. D. neuroplasticity.
10. If you adopt the _______ perspective, you’ll reject an emphasis on what goes on in
people’s minds in favor of focusing on measurable behaviors that can be objectively
measured.
A. behavioral C. psychodynamic
B. neuroscience D. cognitive
11. In the ear, the basilar membrane and hair cells are found in the
A. oval window. C. cochlea.
B. auditory nerve. D. anvil and stirrup.
12. A clinical experiment is designed in such a way that neither the researchers dispensing
a treatment nor the persons in the experimental or control groups know if they’re
getting a sugar pill or a new drug. This sort of experimental design is employing a/an
_______ procedure.
A. placebo C. reverse psychology
B. experimenter expectations D. double-blind
13. Regarding taste and smell, which statement is true?
A. So-called supertasters may be inclined to obesity.
B. Women tend to have a better sense of smell than men.
C. People often have a very short memory of smells.
D. Taste buds wear out and are replaced about every 25 days.
14. Agatha maintains that people are capable of freely making voluntary choices. Constance is
mainly focused on how aggression is caused by genetic inheritance. It seems reasonable to
assume that Constance isn’t much interested in environmental factors impacting
behavior while Agatha rejects
A. heredity. C. introspection.
B. determinism. D. mental processes.
15. According to a Gestalt principle called _______, when we’re looking at a crowd of
people, we tend to perceive people grouped close together as belonging to a common
or related group.
A. proximity C. closure
B. simplicity D. expectancy

16. In conducting an experiment, I divide a sample group of 60 children into two groups
of 30 that I call group A and group B. To make sure the two groups are similar in
terms of age, IQ, and so on, I’ll assign people to either group, A or B, using a/an
________ assignment procedure, such as a coin toss, where heads sends a subject to
group A and tails sends a subject to group B.
A. subjective C. independent
B. experimental D. random
17. Which statement is true?
A. Bottom-up processing allows us to fill in the gaps in an incomplete or ambiguous
pattern.
B. Bottom-up processing is guided by experience, expectations, and motivations.
C. Top-down processing allows us to fill in the gaps in an incomplete or ambiguous
pattern.
D. Top-down processing is a process of recognizing and processing components of a
pattern.
18. You’ll need to select a sample that represents a larger group when you’re conducting
A. a case study. C. naturalistic observation.
B. survey research. D. archival research.
19. In the autonomic division of the nervous system, preparing the body for action under
conditions of stress is to the sympathetic division as pupil contraction and uninhibited
digestive processes are to the _______ division.
A. peripheral-somatic C. peripheral-autonomous
B. peripatetic D. parasympathetic
20. Regarding depth perception, which statement is true?
A. Motion parallax is detected because we perceive binocular disparity.
B. Texture gradient is a monocular cue.
C. The change in position of an object relative to the retina is a binocular cue.
D. Experience teaches us to perceive relative size as an indicator of the color of an
object.
21. I’m interested in how human behavior may be genetically inherited from our remote
ancestors, such as chimpanzees. My field of interest is
A. behavioral genetics. C. clinical neuropsychology.
B. chemical psychobiology. D. evolutionary psychology.
22. Rods are to light intensity as cones are to
A. the iris. C. color perception.
B. the retina. D. the optic nerve.

23. In a neuron, the myelin sheath serves to insulate
A. the axon. C. the cell body.
B. dendrites. D. terminal buttons.
24. In my research, I want to compare levels of test anxiety among high school students in
grades 10 and 12. My hypothesis is that seniors will have higher levels of test anxiety than
sophomores. My _______ definition of test anxiety for each person in my sample will be a
self-reported test-anxiety level, marked in a questionnaire as “high,” “moderate,” or “low.”
A. operational C. subjective
B. functional D. theoretical
25. Within the cerebral cortex, the _______ area is found in the occipital lobe.
A. main auditory C. association
B. somatosensory D. visual
Category: Homework
Expert:  Chris M. replied 3 years ago.
THIS ANSWER IS LOCKED!
You can view this answer by clicking here to Register or Login and paying $3.
If you've already paid for this answer, simply Login.
Chris M., M.S.W. Social Work
Experience: Master's Degree, strong math and writing skills, experience in one-on-one tutoring (college English)