Kathy
Kathy, Teacher
Experience:  Elementary teacher for 16 years Bilingual Spanish English and with a Psychology Masters
49749778

1) By the end of the nineteenth century, the United States

Customer Question

1) By the end of the nineteenth century, the United States' industrial capacity
A) had almost caught Great Britain's.
B) barely lagged behind Germany's.
C) dwarfed both Great Britain's and Germany's.
D) did not match Japan's.
E) lagged far behind Germany's or Great Britain's.
2) Technological changes in the petroleum industry in the late 19th century
A) were retarded by the monopolistic control exerted by John D. Rockefeller.
B) had little impact compared to those in iron and steel.
C) occurred rapidly and put a premium on refining efficiency.
D) were slow in coming because there was a limited consumer demand for petroleum products.
E) were driven by government demands for fuel for the navy.
3) "I will have the best equipped and largest laboratory extant, and the facilities incomparably superior to any other for rapid & cheap development of an invention, & working it up into commercial shape with models, patterns, & special machinery. In fact there is no similar institution in existence." The above author was
A) Thomas A. Edison.
B) A. T. Stewart.
C) Henry Ford.
D) John D. Rockefeller.
E) Jay Gould.
4) When J. P. Morgan assembled United States Steel, he
A) was blocked by the Sherman Antitrust Act.
B) reversed his earlier commitment to decentralization.
C) was sued under the Interstate Commerce Act.
D) formed the first billion dollar corporation.
E) contradicted the general economic trend of decentralization.
5) The theory of evolution by natural selection, which helped Americans justify their exploitation of others, was the work of
A) Charles Lyell.
B) Charles Darwin.
C) Jean Lamarck.
D) Gregor Mendel.
E) Louis Agassiz.
6) Henry George, XXXXX XXXXXamy, and Henry Demarest Lloyd were all late 19th century
A) oil industry executives.
B) college presidents.
C) railroad executives.
D) radical reformers.
E) inventors.
7) The federal regulatory board, established in 1887 by Congress to supervise the affairs of railroads, investigate complaints, and issue "cease and desist" orders against railroads acting illegally, was the
A) Federal Railroad Commission.
B) Interstate Commerce Commission.
C) Federal Transportation Board.
D) General Services Administration.
E) Fair Commerce Board.
8) "Every contract, combination in the form of trust. . ., or conspiracy, in restraint of trade or commerce among the several States, or with foreign nations, is hereby declared to be illegal."  The source of the above is
A) Munn v. Illinois.
B) the Sherman Antitrust Act.
C) United States v. E. C. Knight Company.
D) the Interstate Commerce Act.
E) the Granger Act.
9) The first union to welcome blacks, women, and immigrants into its ranks was the
A) Knights of Labor.
B) National Labor Union.
C) American Federation of Labor.
D) Industrial Workers of the World.
E) Socialist Workers Party.
10) President Cleveland intervened in the Pullman strike on the pretext that
A) the mail had to be delivered.
B) Governor Altgeld of Illinois would do nothing.
C) there was real danger of anarchy.
D) strike leaders were not representative of the union.
E) passenger traffic was completely disrupted.
CHAPTER 18
11) Which of the following describes most middle-class families of the late 19th century?
A) Almost no middle-class families were able to afford servants.
B) They lost some of the reforming zeal and moral fervor they typically had before the Civil War.
C) They continued their trend of an increasing birth rate.
D) Children were encouraged to be independent and were often unsupervised.
E) Sexual relations were unemotional and prudish.
12) In the new types of work, women found in the late nineteenth century, they
A) were still generally unable to enter the male dominated professions of teaching and nursing.
B) earned less as clerks and "typewriters" than they did as unskilled factory workers.
C) were still outnumbered by men as salespersons and cashiers in the new department stores.
D) had less pleasant working conditions as clerks than they did as unskilled factory workers.
E) were often hired as salespersons in department stores because managers considered them easier to control than men.
13) "I take my Pen In hand to let you know that we are Starving to death It is Pretty hard to do without any thing to Eat hear in this God for saken country we would of had Plenty to Eat if the hail hadent cut our rye down and ruined our corn and Potatoes [sic]." The above late nineteenth-century female author was a
A) recent immigrant from Italy.
B) settlement house worker.
C) Great Plains farmer.
D) sharecropping former slave.
E) recent immigrant from Poland.
15) As a result of the streetcar, American cities
A) were able to preserve their unique character as "walking cities."
B) were able to postpone the development of suburbs until the late 1940s.
C) expanded their geographical area enormously as the upper- and middle-classes fled city centers.
D) experienced a renaissance of their downtown commercial districts.
E) concentrated their geographical area considerably
Category: Homework
Expert:  Kathy replied 3 years ago.

Kathy :

Hi! I am willing to will work on these questions for you and have them ready for tonight. Will this work for your? Thanks

Kathy :

Attached are your answers, please let me know when you open the document and I will delete your mediafire file. Thanks

Kathy, Teacher
Experience: Elementary teacher for 16 years Bilingual Spanish English and with a Psychology Masters
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
I got the anserws , thank you
Expert:  Kathy replied 3 years ago.
THIS ANSWER IS LOCKED!
You can view this answer by clicking here to Register or Login and paying $3.
If you've already paid for this answer, simply Login.