Chris M.
Chris M., M.S.W. Social Work
Experience:  Master's Degree, strong math and writing skills, experience in one-on-one tutoring (college English)

Customer Question Ask your own question now EXAMINATION

Customer Question Ask your own question now > EXAMINATION NUMBER 05054000

1. Lillian is looking for ideas to write about and decides to make a list of everything she can think of that relates to the topic of teenage romance. Which concept best describes Lillian's strategy for seeking a topic to write about? A. Free association C. Mapping B. Brainstorming D. Outlining.

2. One of the benefits to highlighting key points is that A. it sorts the good ideas from the bad ideas. B. you can skim, rather than read every word. C. it eliminates note taking. D. it ensures active reading.

3. One of the nine ways, or patterns, of developing an essay is A. process. C. elaboration. B. editing. D. disputation.

4. An active reader who is assigned an essay to read will begin by A. reading the entire essay. B. skimming the entire essay. C. previewing specific parts of the essay. D. researching the subject of the essay. +

5. When you write, the tone, vocabulary, and type of information you choose should vary depending on your A. education. C. values. B. audience. D. biases.

Read this passage to answer questions 6 and 7. Having been raised on a dairy farm in rural Minnesota, Lorie Ann Kline was having trouble adjusting to life in the city and to Central High School. In a conference with her parents, the school guidance counselor explained that Lorie Ann avoided talking to her fellow students and sat by herself in the lunchroom. Perhaps most disturbing, her grades were not what one would expect given her high scholastic aptitude scores. Mrs. Kline agreed that Lorie Ann was often shy around strangers. A solemn Mr. Kline explained that his daughter had been severely bullied by two older children who had lived at the farm for a short time. The guidance counselor nodded in understanding.

6. What is the most likely purpose of the essay from which this passage was taken? A. To inform people about the work of guidance counselors B. To point out the harm done by bullies C. To argue for urban over rural life D. To tell the life story of Lorie Ann Kline.

7. What is the dominant pattern of development in this passage? A. Comparison and contrast C. Narration B. Process D. Description.

8. Which of the following titles is made more effective by alliteration? A. Now You See It; Now You Don't B. What's in a Name? C. Guns: Our Lethal Heritage D. Ruby, the Rose of Roslyn.

9. Leila says that a thesis statement is like a promise to a reader. Lucas says a thesis statement expresses the writer's point of view. Who is correct? A. Only Leila is correct. B. Only Lucas is correct. C. Neither Leila nor Lucas is correct. D. Both Leila and Lucas are correct.

10. You're reading an essay on the relationship between education and income. The most effective graphic visual in such an essay is likely to be a A. sketch of an educated person. B. photograph. C. comparative graph. D. summary of opposing points of view.

11. In my journal, I've divided several pages into two columns. In the first column I write down selected quotations from an essay I've just read. My purpose in these procedures is most likely to be _______ the essay. A. creating C. summarizing B. analyzing D. revising.

12. According to your textbook, which statement about learning styles is most accurate? A. If you're a verbal learner, you can still experiment with spatial diagrams. B. Concrete learners tend to focus on the big picture. C. To write more effectively, you shouldn't experiment with unfamiliar learning styles. D. Pragmatic learners are almost never creative, but they're usually emotional.

Read this passage to answer questions 13, 14, and 15. The sentences are numbered to help you respond to the questions. (1) Biologically, adolescence is marked by hormonal changes that produce secondary sexual characteristics. (2) These include breast development in females and beard growth in males. (3) Psychologically however, adolescence is a concept that applies only to modern industrial societies. (4) In fact, in most preliterate or tribal societies, the modern American idea of adolescence simply does not exist. (5) In such societies, the social roles of adulthood are to be learned during childhood. (6) Then, around the time of biological puberty, a child becomes an adult through a ritual anthropologists call a rite of passage. (7) By contrast, in American society, adolescence amounts to a sort of social and cultural limbo. (8) Informally, the end of childhood is often marked by one's thirteenth birthday. The child is now a “teenager.” (9) More formally, the end of adolescence is marked by legal strictures that vary irrationally. (10) In a given state the age of sexual consent may be 16 for girls and 18 for boys. (11) An 18-year-old may vote or enlist to die for his country, but, until he reaches age 21, he may not legally purchase alcoholic beverages.

13. If the topic of this paragraph is adolescence, which of the following statements best captures or reiterates the thesis? A. Adolescence is an irrational concept. B. Adolescence is defined differently in different societies. C. Adolescence is an aspect of modern society. D. Western society has no single concept of adolescence.

14. In the paragraph about adolescence, the thesis is best suggested A. in sentences 1 and 3. B. in sentences 3 and 4. C. through an implied topic sentence. D. by what the reader decides about the actual nature of adolescence.

15. In which sentences of the paragraph about adolescence do you find a transitional word or phrase that shows a time connection? A. Sentence 3 C. Sentence 6 B. Sentence 4 D. Sentence 7.

16. Your topic is courtesy, and you're writing from the point of view of a caring mentor. Which of the following sentences is most persuasive for an audience of high school graduates from a working-class neighborhood? A. Courtesy to others shows self-respect as much as it does respect for others. B. Courtesy is the oil that lubricates the machinery of discourse. C. Remember that you can catch more flies with honey than with vinegar. D. Courtesy yields profits to the impecunious as well as to the wealthy.

17. As a general rule, where in your essay is it best to place your thesis statement? A. Anywhere at all, since the best thesis statement is implied, not specified B. In the first, introductory paragraph of the essay C. In the second or third paragraph of the body of the essay D. At the end of the essay, as part of the conclusion.

Questions 18, 19, and 20 are based on the following excerpt from an essay. The sentences are numbered to help you respond to the questions. (1) After Sean was arrested for breaking into a pawnshop, I began to wonder. (2) Why did some kids from my neighborhood end up in trouble while most of us didn't? (3) I started out with a question: What causes young people to make bad choices? (4) Now, after two years of research, I've arrived at the conclusion that there is no simple answer. (5) There is no one reason why good kids go bad, but there are typical reasons. (6) According to my research, teenagers are most likely to get into trouble if they hang out with a bad crowd. (7) That's because people learn their values from the people they associate with. (8) So a very big reason for bad behavior is imitating one's peers. (9) But there are other important factors as well. (10) Kids who get in trouble are often school dropouts. (11) Also, kids being raised by a single mother are more likely to get in trouble than kids raised in an intact family. (12) Substance abuse also plays a role, especially when it comes to alcohol and legal or illegal drugs.

18. What method of organization is used by the writer? A. Most-to-least C. Chronological B. Spatial D. Least-to-most.

19. In which sentence or sentences do you find the thesis statement in this excerpt? A. 2 C. 4 and 5 B. 3 D. 5.

20. Sentence 7 of the excerpt is an example of A. an opinion. C. a supporting explanation. B. random evidence. D. a conclusion.

21. Which of the following statements best identifies a learning style that's creative, verbal, and independent? A. Cameron loves to diagram the different aspects or meanings of an idea. B. Loren writes poetry because she enjoys experimenting with words to evoke emotions. C. Karen loves sorting out facts, especially when she can help her classmates visualize them in novel and interesting ways. D. Bart enjoys sitting in public places with his brother analyzing people, especially when he is trying to come up with a plot for a short story.

Questions 22 and 23 are based on the following excerpt from an essay. I've never actually met a real live humorist. Well, not in person at any rate. However, one summer, having a lot of time on my hands, I discovered unexpected treasures lurking in the local public library. Among the nuggets I unearthed in those musty stacks was a book by humorist Robert Benchley. To this day I remember one of his quips. He wrote, “There are two kinds of people in this world; those who divide the world into two kinds of people and those who don't.” After laughing out loud, I became pensive. I wondered why the quip was so funny. A year or so later, I formed a theory. Humor is based on the unexpected.

22. In the passage above, the topic sentence and the thesis are one and the same. What makes the last sentence effective as a thesis statement? A. Specific detail C. Assertion B. Simplicity D. Humor.

23. In the paragraph about Robert Benchley, what types of evidence does the writer use to support his thesis, other than narration? A. Example C. Comparison and contrast B. Historical background D. Classification.

24. To narrow a general topic you've selected, which pair of techniques is most likely to be effective? A. Freewriting and questioning B. Using a branching diagram and consulting your journal C. Questioning and choosing an issue that interests you D. Branching diagram and questioning.

25. Carmen asserts that a strong conclusion to an essay should look ahead and present a call for action. Carl agrees, except he insists that a strong conclusion should restate the thesis verbatim. Who is correct? A. Only Carmen is correct. B. Only Carl is correct. C. Neither Carmen nor Carl is correct. D. Both Carmen and Carl are correct.

26. The principles for supplying evidence in support of a thesis could be represented by an acronym: RSVSRA. According to the information in your text, the two “Rs” could stand for A. respectful and revealing. B. relevant and representative. C. revealing and relevant. D. representative and revealing.

27. In searching out the key elements as you read an essay, you're most likely to discover the author's support for his claims or ideas in the A. title. C. body of the essay. B. introductory paragraph. D. conclusion.

28. Which of the following is a common error in composing a thesis statement? A. You focus your thesis statement after you begin writing. B. You offer an original perspective on a familiar theme. C. Your thesis statement contains two or more central points. D. Your thesis statement is specific as opposed to general.

29. The usual point of view when writing a formal academic essay is A. subjective. C. second person. B. personal. D. third person.

30. Karen asserts that a thesis statement is best developed after prewriting. Kyle claims that a thesis statement should be the first step of the prewriting process. Who is correct? A. Only Karen is correct. B. Only Kyle is correct. C. Both Karen and Kyle are correct. D. Neither Karen nor Kyle is correct.

Read more: Homework Questions - EXAMINATION NUMBER 05054000 1 Lillian is looking for ideas - JustAnswer http://www.justanswer.com/homework/1uocf-examination-number-05054000-1-lillian-looking-ideas.html#ixzz1AlqttLaO
Category: Homework
Expert:  Chris M. replied 3 years ago.
THIS ANSWER IS LOCKED!
You can view this answer by clicking here to Register or Login and paying $3.
If you've already paid for this answer, simply Login.
Chris M., M.S.W. Social Work
Experience: Master's Degree, strong math and writing skills, experience in one-on-one tutoring (college English)
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Thanks for your help
Expert:  Chris M. replied 3 years ago.
You're very welcome!
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Examination number:05054300.                                                                   Objective: To prepare a casual-analysis essay of 750 to 1000 words that incorporates definition and classification.                                              Topic: Consequences of a college student cheating on exams

Optional Information:
Level/Year: College

Edit
I need help with that...?? Thanks
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
I need help with that too... Lesson 5
Additional Issues in Criminal Justice

EXAMINATION NUMBER:
40633000

1. According to a number of studies, which of the following
statements is false?
A. How youths behave towards the police influence whether
or not an arrest is made.
B. An arrest may be made simply because of who the
complainant is.
C. Girls are less likely than boys to be arrested for criminal
offenses.
D. Girl status offenders are less likely than boy status
offenders to be formally processed.
2. In what case did the Supreme Court rule that a finding of
delinquency in a juvenile case must be made with the same
level of evidence used in an adult case: beyond a reasonable
doubt?
A. Schall v. Martin C. In re Winship
B. Breed v. Jones D. In re Gault
3. A juvenile may serve the rest of a sentence during
A. detention. C. intake.
B. aftercare. D. reduction.
4. In what case did the Supreme Court say that juveniles aren't entitled to a jury trial?
A. McKeiver v. Pennsylvania C. Schall v. Martin
B. New Jersey v. T.L.O. D. In re Winship
5. After police processing, the juvenile offender is typically remanded to the local juvenile
court's _______ division.
A. intake C. bail
B. detention D. plea bargaining
6. When a juvenile court is looking out for the “best interests of the child,” what philosophy
is the court applying?
A. Due process C. Delinquency prevention
B. Parens patriae D. Waiver
7. In what case did the Supreme Court establish that the hearing on whether to transfer
a case to criminal court is a critically important stage in the juvenile justice process?
A. Kent v. United States C. In re Gault
B. Breed v. Jones D. In re Winship
8. The maximum prison at the Guantanamo Bay Naval Base in Cuba is
A. Supermax. C. Camp Delta.
B. Abu Ghraib. D. Camp Clandestine.
9. From a legal perspective, if you receive an e-mail claiming that there's a problem with
your Internet account and that you should update your billing information through a
link embedded in that e-mail, you're most probably experiencing
A. spam. C. dumpster diving.
B. phishing. D. shoulder surfing.
10. Restricting the development of the DNA database is a focus of
A. the conservative approach.
B. crime control law enforcement.
C. JUMP advocates.
D. proponents of the due process model of law enforcement.
11. About how many juveniles are being held in residential facilities?
A. 100,000 C. 150,000
B. 125,000 D. 200,000
12. The juvenile equivalent of a trial is called
A. detention. C. aftercare.
B. a waiver hearing. D. adjudication.
13. The most important case to impact and enhance the due process protections of
juveniles within the juvenile court system was
A. Kent v. United States.
B. Miranda v. Arizona.
C. In re Gault.
D. Commonwealth of Pennsylvania v. Fisher.
14. When prosecutors postpone or eliminate criminal prosecution in exchange for a juvenile
offenders' participation in community service programs, this is called
A. discretion. C. diversion.
B. plea bargaining. D. disposition.
15. The State of Illinois created the first juvenile court in what year?
A. 1818 C. 1847
B. 1819 D. 1899
16. To receive a waiver to transfer a juvenile offender to the adult courts, a prosecutor
must generally
A. prove beyond all doubt that the offense was committed deliberately by the juvenile.
B. show that the juvenile has had a long record of criminal behavior.
C. demonstrate that the juvenile presents a danger to society.
D. provide a birth certificate showing the child is older than 13.
17. The first correctional institutions devoted exclusively to youth incarceration were
A. training schools. C. poor houses.
B. cottage reformatories. D. houses of refuge.
18. One of the concerns with trying juveniles as adults is
A. difficulty of the transfer process of some states.
B. whether the juvenile is intellectually competent to assist in his or her defense.
C. difficulty in getting the parents to agree to the transfer.
D. limitations of the plea bargaining process that will result.
19. The vast majority of adjudications are
A. dismissed. C. bench adjudications.
B. uncontested. D. tried by jury.
20. The philosophy that justifies state intervention in the lives of children when their
parents are unable or unwilling to protect them is
A. parens dire. C. capias.
B. petit jury. D. parens patriae.

Optional Information:
Level/Year: college
Subject: homework(Criminal Justice)

Edit