Mark T
Mark T, Homeschool Teacher; IT Professional
Experience:  12 year Homeschool Teacher and Tutor; 25 year IT Professional; PMP certified

1. ___________ is the management function that monitors the

Customer Question

1.
___________ is the management function that monitors the performance of the firm and makes improvements when necessary.

(Points : 5)
Planning
Leading
Organizing
Controlling

2.
Firms that want to be more responsive to the needs of customers tend to adopt a more _______________ organization.

(Points : 5)
centralized
decentralized
controlled
departmentalized

3.
A SWOT analysis is used to analyze the company’s

(Points : 5)
competitive position.
internal controls.
management structure.
budgetary position.

4.
_____________ are the people who train, motivate and evaluate nonmanagement employees.

(Points : 5)
BotXXXXX XXXXXne management
First line management
Middle management
Top management

5.
__________ is the achievement of the goals of an organization through planning, organizing, leading, and controlling organizational resources.

(Points : 5)
Accounting
Management
Motivation
Leadership

6.
______________ departmentalization is common in manufacturing where workers are grouped according to the type of work they perform.

(Points : 5)
Functional
Product
Process
Customer

7.
The ___________ function of management creates a logical structure of people, their jobs, and their patterns of interaction.

(Points : 5)
planning
organizing
leading
controlling

8.
______________ proposes that perceptions of fairness directly impact worker motivation.

(Points : 5)
Equity theory
Expectancy theory
Equalization theory
Self-actualization theory

9.
_____________ leaders hoard decision-making power for themselves and typically issue orders without consulting their followers.

(Points : 5)
Oligarchic
Free-reign
Autocratic
Theory Y

10.
The most effective _____________ are specific and measurable, tied to a timeframe, and realistic but challenging.

(Points : 5)
tactical objectives.
tactical goals
need hierarchies
strategic goals

11.
A key problem faced by HR managers as they attempt to add value to their companies is that they

(Points : 5)
tend to lack confidence in their own abilities.
often lack the respect and support of other managers within the organization.
have responsibilities that aren’t directly related to helping the company achieve financial success.
typically report to the CEO rather than the CFO.

12.
To reduce costs, companies often use _______ to fill in workload gaps during high production times.

(Points : 5)
contingent workers
disabled workers
young workers
women workers

13.
_______ is the process of seeking employees who are currently within the company to fill open positions.

(Points : 5)
Orientation
Probationary period
Internal recruitment
On-the-job training

14.
Employers use _____________ interviews, in which all candidates are asked to respond to the same questions asked in the same order. The goal is to improve the employer’s ability to compare candidates and predict their performance.

(Points : 5)
closed ended
communal
structured
pure scripted

15.
The primary goal of most employment legislation is to

(Points : 5)
prevent the outsourcing of jobs to foreign countries.
protect employees from unfair practices by employers.
ensure that all workers receive a living wage.
give employers an incentive to hire more workers.

16.
Several recent studies show that women in the labor force

(Points : 5)
now make up more than half of all workers.
now earn as much as men for doing work that requires the same level of education and training.
still face a significant degree of discrimination in terms of both pay and promotions.
usually prefer to work for major corporations rather than for smaller firms.

17.
A specific short-run timeframe in which new hires must prove their ability to perform the specific tasks of the job is called a(n)

(Points : 5)
orientation period.
apprenticeship program.
job evaluation period.
probationary period.

18.
The main way HR managers contribute to increasing the value of their firm is by

(Points : 5)
finding ways to raise the value of their firm’s human capital.
consulting on legal issues with managers in other departments so that the firm avoids employee lawsuits.
engaging in effective collective bargaining with employees.
making sure that employees focus their effort toward implementing the firm’s tactical plans.

19.
A simple way to determine whether senior management values the contributions of the HR department is to see whether it

(Points : 5)
is listed as a line department instead of a staff department on the organization chart.
is listed as a line item on the budget.
reports to the CEO.
has offices near the Vice President for Strategic Planning.

20.
_____________ are a form of compensation in which payment is based on a percentage of sales.

(Points : 5)
Commissions
Salaries
Option plans
Bonuses
Category: Homework
Expert:  Mark T replied 3 years ago.
THIS ANSWER IS LOCKED!
You can view this answer by clicking here to Register or Login and paying $3.
If you've already paid for this answer, simply Login.