24. The divine proportion is also called
A. positive space.
B. atmospheric perspective.
C. the Golden Mean.
D. symmetrical balance.
25. _______ vaults were used to construct the nave of the Church of Sainte-Madeleine in Vezelay in France in the twelfth century.
26. What medium did Andrew Wyeth use to paint Christina's World?
A. Tempera paint
27. What artistic development is characterized by the use of bright colors, elaborate compositions, exaggerated forms, and dramatic movement?
28. Leonardo da Vinci and Michelangelo were artists from the _______ period.
29. What group promotes the rights of women artists?
A. Abstract Expressionists
C. Guerrilla Girls
D. National Endowment of the Arts
30. What was one of the most significant achievements of Albrecht Durer?
A. He raised commonplace objects in his subjects of fine art.
B. He created the art form known as installation sculpture.
C. He made printmaking a fine art form.
D. He wrote treatises on painting, perspective, and human proportions.
31. Western art culture was founded on and inspired by _______ art.
In 325 A.D., Constantine the Great made a declaration that caused a significant change in the daily life of many Romans. What was the declaration?
A. Travel was possible anywhere within the Empire.
B. Aristocratic privileges would be abolished.
C. Gladitorial games would be reinstated.
D. Christianity was made the official state religion.
33. Which one of the following photographers was a documentary photographer during the Depression?
A. Mathew Brady
B. Man Ray
C. Alfred Stieglitz
D. Dorothea Lange
34. Which one of the following buildings is an example of French Gothic architecture?
A. The Seagram Building
B. Crystal Palace
C. Notre Dame Cathedral
D. The Parthenon
Many of Hans Holbein's religious paintings were destroyed in the name of the Protestant movement known as
Byzantine art is a combination of Christian symbolism and _______ style.
To define a picture plane, a two-dimensional artist must establish
A. specific atmospheric perspective.
B. the borders of the artwork.
C. the figure-ground effect.
D. a vanishing point and horizon.
Which one of the following items is a product of industrial design?
A. A vacuum cleaner
B. A woven basket
C. A ceramic vase
D. A blown-glass bowl
6. The greatest Italian painter, and one of the most influential artists of the entire Baroque period of the seventeenth century, was
A. Domenikos Thetokopoulos, known as El Greco.
B. Gianlorenzo Bernini.
C. Artemisia Genteleschi.
D. Michelangelo de Merisi, called Caravaggio.
8. Judy Chicago was instrumental in starting what art movement?
A. Pop art
B. Performance art
C. Minimalist art
D. Feminist art
10. Kinetic sculpture was associated with what artist?
A. Alexander Calder
B. Louise Bourgeous
C. Auguste Rodin
D. XXXXX XXXXX
11. Which one of the following divisions of the applied and decorative arts is used to produce primarily functional items?
12. The vigorous brushstrokes and emotion-laden imagery in the paintings of Anselm Kiefer are reminiscent of the paintings of
18. St. Peter's Basilica was constructed in the _______ centuries.
A. sixteenth and seventeenth
B. fifteenth and sixteenth
C. eighteenth and nineteenth
D. seventeenth and eighteenth