Chris M.
Chris M., M.S.W. Social Work
Experience:  Master's Degree, strong math and writing skills, experience in one-on-one tutoring (college English)
22285537

what are the answers to the penn foster information literacy

what are the answers to the penn foster information literacy exam
exam questions
1.   Which of the following is an article from a popular magazine?
A. Carroll, Jill and VandeHei, Jim. "Mouse Cells in Stem Lines May Limit Use." Wall Street Journal 24 Aug. 2001: A3.
B. Lemonick, Michael D., David Bjerklie, Andrew Goldstein. "Keeper of the Stem Cells." Time 27 Aug. 2001: 57.
C. Siegal, Andrew. "Neutrality and Consensus: Towards a Viable Policy on Human Stem Cell Research." Molecular Aspects of Medicine 22.3 (2001): 171-181.
D. Lovell-Badge, Robin. "The Future for Stem Cell Research." Nature 414:6859 (11 Nov. 2001): 88.
2.   Which article would be the most appropriate source to include a bibliography for a research paper on stem cells?
3.   Which of the following sets of call numbers is in the correct order?
A. CA203 .P39 1992 CL207 .K256 1976 CR 209 .D97 1991 C201 .G37 1910
B. C201 .G37 1910 CR 209 .D97 1991 CL207 .K256 1976 CA203 .P39 1992
C. CR 209 .D97 1991 CA203 .P39 1992 CL207 .K256 1976 C201 .G37 1910
D. C201 .G37 1910 CA203 .P39 1992 CL207 .K256 1976 CR 209 .D97 1991
4.   The Atlas of World Religions is a type of which of the following reference sources?
A. General world atlas
B. Historical atlas
C. Subject-specific atlas
D. General almanac
5.   Which of the following will probably contain the most objective data?
A. A report with charts documenting hourly wage rates by occupational group
B. A memoir about working in a coal mine
C. An editorial in The Washington Post
D. A letter rebutting an article in a medical journal
6.   When searching in the library catalog to find information about teenaged girls who abuse alcohol, which of the following search statements would be most precise?
A. (teenaged girls) AND (alcohol abuse)
B. (teenaged girls) OR (alcohol abuse)
C. (teenaged girls) NOT (alcohol abuse)
D. (teenaged girls) AND alcohol OR abuse
7.   You may safely consider the information in an Internet article reliable if it
A. first appeared in a print source.
B. contains the author's name and the publication date.
C. provides documented information.
D. is published by a national association.
8.   The Boolean search connector OR is used for which of the following purposes?
A. To restrict a search by excluding results that include a particular term
B. To broaden a search by including synonyms or related terms
C. To search several different databases simultaneously
D. To narrow a search by adding another concept
9.   In which part of Penn Foster's student library would you look for different types of scholarly statistical data?
A. Health Information Center
B. Career Resources
C. Reading Room
D. Virtual Reference Room
10.   A subject periodical index is a research tool that's used to
A. locate articles in magazines.
B. locate articles in professional publications.
C. locate current periodicals within a library.
D. search through primary sources within a library.
11.   In which part of the Career Center in the Penn Foster student library is there a link for the Occupational Outlook Handbook?
A. Employment Sources—General
B. Employment Sources—Specialized
C. General Resources
D. International Job Services
12.   In your written research paper, to avoid plagiarism you must provide a citation for which of the following?
A. Former President John F. Kennedy's birthday
B. The date the Berlin Wall was pulled down by a crowd in Germany
C. The United Nations ruling on the Soviet bloc countries
D. Statistics about Web usage you found in the Journal of Computer Science
13.   Copyright law allows for which of the following?
A. Borrowing image files from a Web site for your own Web site
B. Photocopying several copies of a chapter from your textbook
C. Copying a quotation from an electronic journal to use in your research paper, without citing the source
D. Making a copy of a three-page journal article to use in researching your research paper
14.   Which of the following would be the best way to get to a list of encyclopedias that are available on the Web?
A. Search the library catalog.
B. Search a periodical database.
C. Visit the Internet Public Library.
D. Look at the Library of Congress Web site.
15.   In the URL http://www.nyu.edu/library/bobst/research/hum/ibero/#elec, what is the host computer name?
A. nyu
B. www.nyu.edu
C. http://www.nyu.edu
D. library/bobst/research/hum/ibero/#elec
16.   When reading an article in an encyclopedia, the fastest way to find related articles is to look
A. at the bibliography at the end of the article.
B. in the library's card catalog.
C. in the index to the set of encyclopedias.
D. on the Internet.
17.   What types of documents are considered primary sources?
A. Academic journal articles and books published by scholars
B. Books primarily concerned with the creative process
C. Raw data, diaries, letters, manuscripts, and original accounts
D. Materials in languages other than English
18.   What would a careful researcher ask about a Web site called "Facts about pesticides and health" published by the Coalition for a Chemical Free Environment?
A. Is this information being used to advocate a point of view?
B. Where was this information published?
C. What's the citation information?
D. How can I obtain copies of this article?
19.   Which Boolean operator limits your search so that each term you input must be in the same document?
A. OR
B. AND
C. NOT
D. ALSO
20.   Government documents in a library are classified according to which of the following schemes?
A. Library of Congress
B. Government Printing Office
C. Dewey Decimal
D. Superintendent of Documents

Category: Homework
Expert:  Chris M. replied 3 years ago.
THIS ANSWER IS LOCKED!
You can view this answer by clicking here to Register or Login and paying $3.
If you've already paid for this answer, simply Login.
Chris M., M.S.W. Social Work
Experience: Master's Degree, strong math and writing skills, experience in one-on-one tutoring (college English)