R.R. Jha
R.R. Jha, Tutor
Experience:  B.Tech
20870358

I have 15 more physics questions if interested.

Category: Homework
Expert:  R.R. Jha replied 3 years ago.

Please post the questions.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
  • 1. A car moving at 35 m/s approaches a stationary whistle that emits a 220 Hz sound. The speed of sound is 343 m/s. What is the frequency of sound heard by the driver of the car?
  • A. 282 Hz
  • B. 220 Hz
  • C. 198 Hz
  • D. 245 Hz
  • E. 340 Hz

• 2. Two loudspeakers are located 3.0 m apart on the stage of an auditorium. A listener at point P is seated 19.0 m from one speaker and 15.0 m from the other. A signal generator drives the speakers in phase with the same amplitude and frequency. The wave amplitude at P due to each speaker alone is A. The frequency is then varied between 30 Hz and 400 Hz. The speed of sound is 343 m/s. At what frequency or frequencies will the listener at P hear a maximum intensity?
  • A. 57 Hz, 114 Hz, 171 Hz, 228 Hz, 285 Hz, 342 Hz, and 399 Hz
  • B. 86 Hz, 170 Hz, 257 Hz, and 343 Hz
  • C. 43 Hz, 85 Hz, 128 Hz, 170 Hz, 213 Hz, 257 Hz, 298 Hz, 344, and 387 Hz
  • D. 113 Hz and 226 Hz
  • E. 170 Hz only

• 3. A rope of length L is clamped at both ends. Which one of the following is not a possible wavelength for standing waves on this rope?
  • A. 4L
  • B. L/2
  • C. L
  • D. 2L/3
  • E. 2L

• 4. A guitar string produces 4 beats/s when sounded with a 250 Hz tuning fork and 9 beats per second when sounded with a 255 Hz tuning fork. What is the vibrational frequency of the string?
  • A. 254 Hz
  • B. 259 Hz
  • C. 263 Hz
  • D. 246 Hz
  • E. 240 Hz

• 5. A transverse periodic wave on a string with a linear density of 0.200 kg/m is described by the following equation: y = 0.08 sin(469t - 28.0x), where x and y are in meters and t is in seconds. What is the tension in the string?
  • A. 65.8 N
  • B. 56.1 N
  • C. 32.5 N
  • D. 3.99 N
  • E. 79.9 N

• 6. Which one of the following statements concerning waves is false?
  • A. A wave carries energy from one place to another.
  • B. A wave can have both transverse and longitudinal components.
  • C. A wave is traveling disturbance.
  • D. A transverse wave is one in which the disturbance is parallel to the direction of travel.
  • E. A wave does not result in the bulk flow of the material of its medium.

• 7. Castor oil has a density of 956 kg/m3. If the speed of sound in castor oil is 1474 m/s, what is its adiabatic bulk modulus? [Note 1.2 x 10^2 N/m2 = 120 N/(square meter)]
  • A. 5.71 x 10^9 N/m2
  • B. 1.77 x 10^9 N/m2
  • C. 2.08 x 10^9 N/m2
  • D. 9.22 x 10^9 N/m2
  • E. 8.90 x 10^9 N/m2

• 8. A pebble is dropped in a lake; and it produces ripples with a frequency of 0.50 Hz. When should a second pebble be dropped at the same place to produce destructive interference?
  • A. 2.0 s after the first
  • B. 0.50 s after the first
  • C. 0.75 s after the first
  • D. 1.0 s after the first
  • E. 1.5 s after the first

• 9. A speaker is designed for wide dispersion for a high frequency sound. What should the diameter of the circular opening be for a speaker where the desired diffraction angle is 11 degrees and a 9100 Hz sound is generated? The speed of sound is 343 m/s.
  • A. 0.24 m
  • B. 0.13 m
  • C. 0.048 m
  • D. 0.039 m
  • E. 0.077 m

• 10. Which one of the following super positions will result in beats?
  • A. The superposition of waves that are identical except for slightly different amplitudes
  • B. The superposition of identical waves that travel in the same direction.
  • C. The superposition of waves that are identical except for slightly different frequencies
  • D. The superposition of waves that travel with different speeds
  • E. The superpositions of identical waves that travel in opposite directions

• 11. The tension in a taut rope is increased by a factor of 9. How does the speed of wave pulses on the rope change, if at all?
  • A. The speed is increased by a factor of 9.
  • B. The speed is reduced by a factor of 9.
  • C. The speed is increased by a factor of 3.
  • D. The speed remains the same.
  • E. The speed is reduced by a factor of 3.

• 12. A wave has a frequency of 58 Hz and a speed of 31 m/s. What is the wavelength of this wave?
  • A. 1.9 m
  • B. .29 m
  • C. 0.53 m
  • D. 31 m
  • E. 3.5 m

• 13. At distance of 5.0 m from a point sound source, the sound intensity level is 110 dB. At what distance is the intensity level 95 dB?
  • A. 7.1 m
  • B. 14 m
  • C. 42 m
  • D. 28 m
  • E. 5.0 m

• 14. Two canoes are 10 m apart on a lake. Each bobs up and down with a period of 8.0 seconds. When one canoe is at its highest point, the other canoe is at its lowest point. Both canoes are always within a single cycle of the waves. Determine the speed of the waves.
  • A. 1.3 m/s
  • B. 5.0 m/s
  • C. 2.5 m/s
  • D. 0.75 m/s
  • E. 0.65 m/s

• 15. Pipe A is 0.50 m long and open at both ends. Pipes B is open at one end and closed at the other end. Determine the length of pipe B so that it has the same fundamental frequency as A.
  • A. 0.75 m
  • B. 0.50 m
  • C. 2.0 m
  • D. .25 m
  • E. 1.0 m
Expert:  R.R. Jha replied 3 years ago.
THIS ANSWER IS LOCKED!
You can view this answer by clicking here to Register or Login and paying $3.
If you've already paid for this answer, simply Login.
R.R. Jha, Tutor
Experience: B.Tech