Chris M.
Chris M., M.S.W. Social Work
Experience:  Master's Degree, strong math and writing skills, experience in one-on-one tutoring (college English)
22285537

Objective You demonstrate that you are able to revise,

<p>Objective You demonstrate that you are able to revise, edit, and proofread by effectively rewriting a paragraph using the standard written conventions of American English. To accomplish this assignment, you apply the rules and skills taught in the first four study units of this course. Background Pretend that you writing to the editor of your local newspaper. Your purpose is to convince its readers that rather than solely relying on e-mail, people should mail a letter to their loved ones every now and then. Following is your first draft. Every now and then, instead of using e-mail, mail a letter to your grandparents. We live in a fast-paced world. We feel comfortable using computers to send e-mails and Instant Message. Nana doesn’t live in that time zone. Forget all those fancy fonts and emoticons or abbreviations like LOL. You point and click but Grandpa wants to hold something, unwrap a letter and smell it. A crayoned picture smells special, no scanner can do that. Their senses want to be used. He lives in a physical world, not an invisible one. Grandparents can touch something that is mailed. Sometimes as if touching the ink or pencil on paper helps them touch the writer. A picture can be held and used in so many ways. I get to see my grandkids’ handwriting is changing as they grow. I know how they feel just from the way they write the words. Give your grandparents the real thing that exists in time and space. Something to cherish rather than to be deleted. Process 1. Revise the above rough draft into a final, polished product containing two paragraphs. Together, the two paragraphs must total 175 to 250 words. In addition, the paragraphs must reflect your writing style, as well as be effective for the purpose and audience. Be sure that one of the reasons you give for mailing a letter is the sensory experience (e.g., smell and touch). 2. To accomplish this task, apply the techniques taught to this point in your course, including writing to persuade. Follow the Reviewing, Editing, and Proofreading steps which are summarized in the Writing Process Review of this study unit. As part of the process, you must accomplish the following actions: • Write an interesting and engaging topic sentence for each of the two paragraphs making sure each one relates to the overall focus, purpose, and audience. • Remove from each paragraph whatever wording or details do not directly develop that paragraph’s topic sentence. • Reorganize the content into a unified, coherent flow that develops each topic sentence and the main focus. • Add details and explanation you make-up yourself to develop each topic sentence completely. • Change words to reflect your style, applying a friendly, informal business tone and maintaining a single voice through consistent pronoun use. • Use concrete and lively words effectively with the verbs in active voice. • Use correct and varied sentence structure. • Apply standard written American English conventions for grammar, capitalization, punctuation, and spelling. 3. After preparing a revised draft, set your work aside for at least 24 hours. Then, read the following evaluation criteria, which the school will use to score your work. Further revise, edit, and proofread your paragraphs to meet each of the criteria. Topic sentence You correctly identify the single sentence that contains the main idea of each paragraph (one sentence for each paragraph). Each topic sentence fits naturally and logically where placed in that paragraph. (10 points) Content (development and unity) Your paragraphs focus on the single subject of persuading readers of your local newspaper to mail letters to their grandparents as opposed to using only e-mail correspondence. You have appropriately divided the information into two paragraphs. You effectively combine information from the rough draft with fresh, original details of your own. All details are relevant and sufficient for developing each of the identified topic sentences. (20 points) Organization (coherence and paragraph structure) You write with logical direction from beginning to end. Your details fit naturally where placed. You effectively use connective wording to weave the details into a cohesive whole. Purposeful sentence beginnings guide the reader from one sentence to the next in relation to the topic sentences and the main focus. (20 points) Voice and word choice Your paragraphs maintain a single point of view through appropriate pronoun use. You use verbs in active voice, not passive, so that you reach out to and connect with your audience in a friendly, informal way. Your words convey the intended message in a precise, appealing, and original way. They are specific, accurate, and energetic. You avoid slang, clichés, and jargon. (15 points) Sentence fluency Your sentences are well-built, with consistently strong and varied length, type, and structure to give each paragraph a sense of controlled yet graceful movement. When read aloud, the sentences flow in a natural, pleasant rhythm. (10 points) Conventions You demonstrate a skillful grasp of the standard writing conventions for American English by using correct grammar, usage, punctuation, capitalization, and spelling. Your choices guide the reader through the text with ease. (15 points) Format The paragraphs are typed and submitted in the required format (given below). Your two paragraphs together total 150 to 200 words. (10 points)</p><p> </p><ul><li>1. format your document to double space, using a standard font, size 12, left justification (also called ragged right), and 1.25" for both left and right margins. Type your final version of the two paragraphs. Indent the first line of each paragraph by 0.5" tab. Hit Enter only once after the first paragraph to begin the second paragraph. Do not use any other type of format such as a letter or memo. Merely type the two paragraphs. </li><li>2. Use the underline formatting feature of your word-processing program to <u>underline</u> the topic sentence of each paragraph. </li></ul>
Category: Homework
Expert:  Chris M. replied 4 years ago.

Hello Shannon,

Thanks for the request. When is your deadline for this assignment.

-Chris M.

Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Hello Chris,

Not in any hurry... Just when it is done.

Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Chris,

If you would like to do it tomorrow that will be fine. I am getting of now. I will check back in tomorrow. Thanks!!

Expert:  Chris M. replied 4 years ago.

Hello Shannon,

I can do this by tomorrow afternoon (11/13). This post times out in about 14 hours. You can reply sometime before then so that it doesn't "time out."

-Chris M.

Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Chris,

That is just fine. Just let me know when you are done with it.

Expert:  Chris M. replied 4 years ago.
OK, You'll be notified when the answer is posted.
Expert:  Chris M. replied 4 years ago.
THIS ANSWER IS LOCKED!
You can view this answer by clicking here to Register or Login and paying $3.
If you've already paid for this answer, simply Login.
Chris M., M.S.W. Social Work
Experience: Master's Degree, strong math and writing skills, experience in one-on-one tutoring (college English)