SteveS
SteveS, MBA
Experience:  MBA from Top 5 US Business School, Tutoring Experience for Over Two Years
18851589

Problems 1. (Bond valuation) A $1,000 face

Problems:
1. (Bond valuation) A $1,000 face value bond has a remaining maturity of 8 years and a required return of 7%. The bond’s coupon rate is 8%.
What is the fair value of this bond?
2. (Yield to maturity) Smith Industries has a 8.0% bond maturing in 12 years. What is the yield to maturity if the current market price of the bond is:
a. $1,090?
b. $1,000?
c. $890?
3. (Stock valuation) Suppose GE has non-maturing (perpetual) preferred stock outstanding that pays a $0.50 quarterly dividend and has a required return of 8% APR (2% per quarter). What is the stock worth (price per share)?
4. (Growth rate) Suppose Cisco has a payout ratio of 45% and an expected return on its future investments of 9%. What is Cisco's expected growth rate?

5. (Cumulative growth rate) Jasper Inc has not paid dividends. They are considering paying a common stock dividend of $0.75 per share next year. Analysts indicate the required rate of return is 12% and expect the firm will grow the dividend 5%. What is the value of the firm's stock price (price per share)?

6. (Interest-rate risk) Reliant Energy has many bonds trading on the New York Stock Exchange. Suppose Reliant's bonds have identical coupon rates of 8.5% but that one issue matures in 3 year, one in 9 years, and the third in 12 years.
a. If the yield to maturity for all three bonds is 8%, what is the fair price of each bond?

7. (Default risk) You buy a very risky bond that promises a 11% coupon and return of the $1,000 principal in 10 years. You pay only $750 for the bond.
a. You receive the coupon payments for four years and the bond defaults. After liquidating the firm, the bondholders receive a distribution of $250 per bond at the end of 4.5 years (last payment includes coupon payment). What is the realized Rte of return on your investment?
b. The firm does far better than expected and bondholders receive all of the promised interest and principal payments. What is the realized return on your investment?
8. (Beta and required return) The riskless return is currently 6%, and Jupitaer Co. has estimated the contingent returns given here.
a. Calculate the expected returns on the stock market and on Jupiter Co. stock.
b. What is Jupiter's beta?
c. What is Jupiter's required return according to the CAPM?
Realized Return
State of the market Probability that state occurs stock mkt Jupiter
Stagnant 20% -10% -15%
Slow growth 35% 10% 15%
average growth 30% 15% 25%
rapid growth 15% 25% 35%

Attached is the answer. If you are satisfied with the solution, please remember to click Accept. Thanks.

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Steve I have one request before acceptance. Can you explain the process of how you got the answers? I am using this as a study guide for an upcoming exam so I need to figure out how to master these computations myself.

With this I will gladly accept.
THIS ANSWER IS LOCKED!

You need to spend $3 to view this post. Add Funds to your account and buy credits.

Do you have any further questions? Please click Accept if you've gone through the answers, thanks.

If you have no further questions, please click on the Accept button. That is the only way I will be paid for the work I did for you. Thanks.

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Sorry for the delay in payment. I logged out and forgot. I am accepting now.