Mighty Writer
Mighty Writer, educator
Experience:  15+ years experience, skilled in research, composition, education, business & more
14123947

How did the aristocratic republicanism of the South differ

How did the aristocratic republicanism of the South differ from the democratic republicanism of the North?
Category: Homework
Expert:  Mighty Writer replied 4 years ago.

Mighty Writer :

Full Size Image

Mighty Writer :
The Quest for a Republican Society

I.

Many interpreted the success of their government since independence as divinely inspired, a sign that God looked favorably on

their self-governing experiment.

II.

During the 1st ½ century, the nation had matured into a full-fledged “republican” society. After independence, Americans tried to
become “republicans” not just in their constitutional and legal systems but also in their political outlook, social behavior, and
cultural values.
A.By 1820 they had made considerable progress towards these goals, for their state and society now reflected many of the

values of ordinary citizens.

B.Yet this pursuit of republican ideals was conflict-ridden and complex, for 3 partially competing, partially complementary

visions for republican society emerged during the formative era.

III.

Many white Americans, especially in the northern states, were democratic-republicans. Seeking to implement their ideals, they
tried to instill greater equality into political and family life.
A.Some of these initiatives succeeded, but just as often they failed because of the strength of entrenched cultural values and

economic interests.

IV.

In the South many whites shared these democratic aspirations, but because their society was even more sharply divided along the
lines of class and race, they found such ideals more difficult to attain.
A.Consequently, Southern leaders gradually devised an aristocratic-republican ideology that better represented the dominant

cultural values and hierarchical character of their society.

V.

Another vision of American society took form in the wake of the massive religious revival that swept through American societ

Mighty Writer :

society

during the 1st ½ of the 19th century

Mighty Writer :

Does this help?

JACUSTOMER-4oiseqmn- :

It dose a little, but it realy dosen't explain the differances in the two political parties?

Mighty Writer :

How about this?

Mighty Writer :

3 variants of republican society developed in the US in the early 19th century: democratic republicanism in the North, aristocratic
republicanism in the South, and an evangelical Protestant vision of republicanism that was embraced by many people in both
regions.

II.

In the North the ideal of a democratic republican society based on liberty and equality encouraged the emergence of a white male
citizenry that demanded voting rights, pursued social mobility, and looked w/suspicion on aristocratic pretensions.
A.Political and religious leaders promoted a different path for women, developing the notion of a separate sphere consisting

primarily of domestic responsibilities.

B.Republicanism and sentimentalism influenced the private lives of many Americans, encouraging young people to marry for

love as well as economic security, and promoting parents to rear their children using reason and authority.

III.

In the South, planters extended the slave regime into the Old Southwest. This expansion led to a sectional confrontation over
slavery that the Missouri Compromise temporarily resolved by allowing some free and some slave states to be formed from the
Louisiana Purchase.
A.Enslaved blacks adopted English and some white religious practices but, along with free blacks in northern cities, forged a

distinct African American culture.

IV.

The southern planter elite solidified its control of the southern social order, constructing an elaborate intellectual defense of
slavery and depicting itself as a natural aristocracy. Using the ideology of white supremacy, it retained the loyalty of white tenants
and yeomen.
A.The hierarchical character of southern society encouraged the formation of an aristocratic republican system of values.

V.

The Second Great Awakening made Americans a

Mighty Writer :
The Second Great Awakening made Americans a fervently Protestant people and dramatically increased the influence of

evangelical Baptist and Methodist Churches.

A.Religious revivalism also enhanced the status of women, whose moral activism broadened the dimensions of their sphere to
encompass teaching in public schools and managing charitable organizations and religious societies. Religious institutions
thus gave women a new and growing presence in public life and added a new dimension to the American republican
experiment.

JACUSTOMER-4oiseqmn- :

This helps out alot, thank you for your time. I just had one question, I looked online for informtion, but I guess I wasn't looking in the right place, do you mind if I ask you were you found this information?

Mighty Writer :

Let me get that for you!

JACUSTOMER-4oiseqmn- :

Oh, ok, Thank you so much for your time!

Mighty Writer, educator
Experience: 15+ years experience, skilled in research, composition, education, business & more