Chris M.
Chris M., M.S.W. Social Work
Experience:  Master's Degree, strong math and writing skills, experience in one-on-one tutoring (college English)
22285537

Study the following sentence, then select the answer that best

Study the following sentence, then select the answer that best describes it.
THE COW JUMPS OVER THE MOON!

A. Italic serifed type
B. Bold roman sans serif type
C. Bold italic sans serif type
D. Bold roman serifed type

2. Which one of the following statements about page columns is true?
A. Page columns are vertical spaces on a page into which text and graphics can be placed.
B. Page columns are horizontal spaces on a page into which text and graphics can be placed.
C. When a single-column layout is used, the column should always be placed in the exact middle of the page.
D. When a two-column layout is used, the columns should always be the same size.

Refer to the exam printed in the back of your study unit to answer Questions 3–6.

3. The leading between the lines in the following block of text is _______ points.
When professional floral designers use the term design technique, they're referring to a method used to design a floral arrangement's individual parts. Design techniques can be applied to almost any design style for added appeal and interest.

A. 9
B. 11
C. 13
D. 15

4. The sample text from Question 3 is set in point size _______.
A. 9
B. 11
C. 13
D. 15

5. The sample text from Question 3 has a line length of _______ picas.
A. 14
B. 18
C. 22
D. 26

6. The sample text from Question 3 is set
A. flush right/ragged left.
B. flush left/ragged right.
C. centered.
D. full justified.

7. The process of selecting typefaces, type sizes, and text spacing for a particular document is called
A. desktop publishing.
B. type processing.
C. typesetting.
D. typography.

8. Estimating a manuscript's length if it's set in a particular typeface is called
A. typography.
B. casting off.
C. leading.
D. letterspacing.

9. A(n) _______ is the basic unit of typographic measurement.
A. pica
B. em
C. point
D. inch

10. A style manual can be described as a/an
A. reference book that guides the reader in applying accepted principles of usage in a specific field.
B. electronic tool that assures consistency in the way things are said and done in desktop publishing documents.
C. printed sheet that details a document's typefaces, point sizes, column width, margin dimensions, heading, and subhead specifications.
D. dictionary containing terms for particular fields, such as science, computers, engineering, or medicine.

11. Which of the following statements about document pages is true?
A. The page on the left-hand side of a document is the verso page, while the right-hand page is the recto page.
B. The page on the right-hand side is the verso page, while the page on the left-hand side is the recto page.
C. Recto pages are always even-numbered pages, while verso pages are always odd-numbered pages.
D. Good design dictates that recto pages always be blank to avoid the "overdone" look.

12. Desktop publishers sometimes must adjust the spacing between letters so that the result looks right to them. This is called
A. optical spacing.
B. closing a line.
C. justifying.
D. leading it out.

13. If a line of type measures 5 inches (12.5 centimeters) in length, how many picas long is it?
A. 15
B. 25
C. 30
D. 60

14. HTML documents are created by adding what to text?
A. Tables
B. Graphics
C. Tags
D. Links

15. A pica equals _______ points.
A. 1
B. 6
C. 12
D. 72

16. Computer files designed to simplify the layout process and stored electronically as part of a desktop publishing software program are called
A. style manuals.
B. style sheets.
C. reference files.
D. specification sheets.

17. Which of the following page-related terms refer to the same thing?
A. Type page/text area
B. Trim size/text page
C. Type page/trim size
D. Open line/leading

18. What does DTD stand for?
A. Desktop TrueType Document
B. Document Type Definition
C. Document Tagging Definition
D. Desktop Typeface Dictionary

19. A long document, such as a book, can usually be divided into which of the following three main sections?
A. Copyright section, main text, appendix
B. Preliminary pages, main text, back matter
C. Preliminary pages, main text, index
D. Preliminary pages, main text, and front matter

20. Which of the following must a desktop publisher be aware of when planning the design of a document?
A. The person who wrote the document
B. The intended audience
C. The professional printer to be used
D. The retail and wholesale prices of a document
Category: Homework
Expert:  Chris M. replied 4 years ago.
THIS ANSWER IS LOCKED!
You can view this answer by clicking here to Register or Login and paying $3.
If you've already paid for this answer, simply Login.
Chris M., M.S.W. Social Work
Experience: Master's Degree, strong math and writing skills, experience in one-on-one tutoring (college English)