Linda_us
Linda_us, Finance, Accounts & Homework Tutor
Experience:  Post Graduate Diploma in Management (MBA)

For Linda, At December 31, 2009, the general ledger of Main

For Linda, At December 31, 2009, the general ledger of Main Street Marketing had the following account balances. All adjusting entries (except for income taxes at 40%) have been made. The company had 9,000 shares of common stock outstanding during the year. Accounts payable $7,340 Accounts receivable 12,980 Accrued liabilities 22,500 Accumulated depreciation 14,980 Advertising expense 8,777 Cash 7,980 Common stock 28,000 Costs of goods sold 118,922 Depreciation expense 11,254 Equipment 78,700 Loss on sale of land 7,900 Interest expense 1,980 Merchandise 22,990 Land 50,000 Retained earnings 37,091 Sales revenue 311,200 Utilities expense 6,350 Wage expense 71,245 a. What is the amount of gross profit? Show your computations. b. What is the amount of operating income? Show your computations. c. What is the amount of pretax income? Show your computations. d. What is the amount of net income? Show your computations. e. What are the earnings per share? Show your computations. Arizona Company reported accounts receivable of $21,200,000 at the end of its fiscal year. This amount was net of an allowance for doubtful accounts of $1,456,000. During 2010, Georgia sold $72,300,400 of merchandise on credit. It collected $48,520,555 from customers. Accounts valued at 2,125,00 were written off as uncollectible during 2010. Arizona’s management estimates that 8% of the year-end accounts receivable balance will be uncollectible. a. What amount will Arizona report for accounts receivable? Show your computations. b. What is the balance for the allowance for doubtful accounts at the end of 2010? (round to whole numbers. Show your computations. c. What is the doubtful accounts expense for 2010? Show your computations. The following information regarding inventory transactions is available for the month of July. Date Type Event #units Cost Total July 1 Beginning Inventory 180 $8 $1,440 July 5 Purchase 75 $9 $675 July 9 Sale 80 July 12 Sale 45 July 17 Purchase 140 $10 $1,400 July 26 Sale 75 July 29 Purchase 40 $11 $440 a. What is the cost of goods sold under FIFO? Show your computations. b. What is the ending inventory under FIFO? Show your computations. c. What is the cost of goods sold under LIFO? Show your computations. d. What is the ending inventory under LIFO? Show your computations. e. What is the cost of goods sold under the weighted average method? Show your computations. f. What is the ending inventory under the weighted average method? Show your computations. The Frame It Company reporting the following items on its income statement in 2009: A. Net operating revenues, $814,250 B. Cost of goods sold, $305,908 C. Selling and administrative expenses, $198,450 D. Research and development expenses, $99,993 E. Net interest expense, $7,887 F. Provision for income taxes, $78,909 G. Current year loss from discontinued operation of $18,000, net of tax benefit of $6,858 H. Loss from sale of discontinued operations of $52,000, net tax benefit of $11,525 I. Preferred stock dividends, $24,000 The company had 40,000 shares of common stock outstanding throughtout the fiscal year. Compute each of the following: Show your computations a. operating income b. Income (loss) from from continuing operations, before taxes c. Income (loss) before discontinued operations d. Net income (loss) e. Net income (loss) available for common stock f. Earnings per share from continuing operations g. Earnings per share from discontinued operations h. Earnings per share from net income (loss)

Read more: For Linda, At December 31, 2009, the general l... - JustAnswer http://www.justanswer.com/questions/3g3mp-for-linda-at-december-31-2009-the-general-ledger-of#ixzz133QxJAVW
Category: Homework
Expert:  Linda_us replied 3 years ago.
Hi Wrileywam

Please Click here for Solution

Also I will be waiting for you on Saturday 11 AM EST.

Please note that I get credit for my work only when you click accept.

If you like my work you can request me in future by writing "FOR LINDA" in front of your post.

Regards

Linda
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Hello Linda, please be ready for me on saturday at 11 am. I got the answer to this questions on last night.
Expert:  Linda_us replied 3 years ago.
I will be ready on Saturday. I am not able to understand what do you mean by " I got the answer to this questions on last night.".

If you need any explanation on the above solution please let me know
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

I got the solution to this question last night, while I was waiting to here from you. Please remember that on tomorrow this will be a timed test.

Thank you

Expert:  Linda_us replied 3 years ago.
So you no longer needed the solution when I posted it.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
No, I no longer need this solution. I asked this question at 11:25 pm last night.
Expert:  Linda_us replied 3 years ago.

I replied to you post within 33 minutes that’s very reasonable time to answer the question.

For future posts if you if you no longer need a solution please edit the post or inform me so that I am not working on the question.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Linda, I am on line please let me know when you are available.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Let me know when you are online.

Thank you

Expert:  Linda_us replied 3 years ago.
I am here. We can start when you are ready.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
ok, I will begin.
Expert:  Linda_us replied 3 years ago.
Sure.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Which of the following is NOT an intangible asset? (Points : 2)
goodwill
patent
copyright
cash

2. Which of the following statements about depreciation methods is true? (Points : 2)
firms must use the same depreciation methods for tax and financial reporting purposes
firms cannot use the same depreciation methods for tax and financial reporting purposes
firms usually use the same depreciation methods for tax and financial reporting purposes
firms seldom use the same depreciation methods for tax and financial reporting purposes

3. How is the depreciation process consistent with the matching principle? (Points : 2)
the accumulated depreciation account is matched with the plant asset account on the balance sheet
the cost of consuming plant assets is matched with the periods that benefit from using the assets
the book value of the asset is matched with the current market value of the asset
the depreciation method used is matched with the expected productivity of the asset

4.

Extreme Manufacturing purchased machinery as follows:

Cost

$39,000

Residual

4,500

Estimated useful life

5 years

Under the double-declining-balance method, what will depreciation expense be for
Year 2?

(Points : 2)
$9,360
$5,616
$1,116
$15,600

5.

Trading and available-for-sale securities are reported on the balance sheet at

(Points : 2)
market value
maturity value
cost
amortized cost

6.

Marbella Company has an investment in stock, classified as available-for-sale, with the following information at December 31, 2007:

Cost

=

$240,000

Market value

=

$280,000

How would Marbella report this information?

(Points : 2)
unrealized holding gain of $40,000 added to stockholders' equity
realized gain added to the income statement of $40,000
unrealized holding gain deducted from stockholders' equity of $40,000
unrealized holding gain added to the income statement of $40,000

7.

Cash received from the sale of long-term assets is considered an operating activity.

(Points : 2)
True
False

8.

The excess of cost over the fair market value of net assets acquired when one company purchases another company should be reported as a(n)

(Points : 2)
fixed asset
intangible asset
expense of the period in which the acquisition occurs
revenue of the period in which the acquisition occurs

9.

Gonzo Company purchased 100% of Bean Corporation for $600,000 cash. Book value of Bean's net assets was $500,000 at the time and the fair market value was $580,000. Which of the following will be recorded on Gonzo's books for this event?

(Points : 2)
total assets of Bean Company of $600,000 with goodwill being $100,000
total assets of Bean Company of $500,000 with goodwill being $20,000
total assets of Bean Company of $580,000 with goodwill being $100,000
total assets of Bean Company of $600,000 with goodwill being $20,000

10.

Accelerated depreciation

(Points : 2)
results in lower net income in earlier years and higher net income in later years
is used more often on the income statement than is the straight-line method
leads to higher book values for depreciable assets than does the straight-line method
allocates larger portions of cost to later periods than to earlier

11.

Emergent Markets Corporation purchased a machine for $200,000 on January 1, 2007. The estimated life is 10 years. What is the book value on the December 31, 2009 balance sheet assuming straight-line depreciation is used and estimated residual value is zero?

(Points : 2)
$180,000
$160,000
$140,000
$ 60,000

12.

Deferred charges are:

(Points : 2)
typically not amortized
short-term assets
assets prepaid that produce long-term profits
long-term assets included with plant assets

13.

A balance sheet reports an investment in common stock under the category of long-term assets. Which of the following MIGHT be the reason(s) why these shares are reported in that section of the balance sheet?

Management intends to They are not
hold them long-term
marketable

(Points : 2)
Yes Yes
No Yes
Yes No
No No

14.

A bond is purchased at a discount. What will happen to the net carrying value of the bond on the balance sheet as its maturity date approaches?

(Points : 2)
stays the same
increases
decreases
cannot be determined from the data given

15.

The book value of plant assets is calculated as the cost of the assets plus accumulated depreciation.

(Points : 2)
True
False

16.

Firms must use the same depreciation method for tax as they do for financial reporting purposes.

(Points : 2)
True
False

17.

A coal mine asset was purchased for $660,000. Estimated production is 20,000,000 tons after which the mine will be sold for $60,000. During a recent year, 6,500,000 tons of coal were produced and sold. The depletion expense for the year would be

(Points : 2)
$175,500
$195,000
$214,500
$225,000

18.

Purple Company owns 25% of the common stock of Marroon after purchasing 45,000 shares of Marroon's stock at a price of $30 per share on January 1, 2007. At the end of the year, Marroon reported net income of $100,000 and paid dividends of $40,000. What is the book value of Purple Company's investment at year-end?

(Points : 2)
$1,410,000
$1,450,000
$1,365,000
$1,350,000

19.

When companies have a temporary surplus of cash, they often invest it in

(Points : 2)
short-term marketable securities
long-term marketable securities
intangible assets
property, plant, and equipment

20.

Long-term investments in the common stock of another company normally should be accounted for using the equity method if the investor owns an interest of

(Points : 2)
more than 50 percent
not less than 90 percent
not less than 20 percent nor more than 50 percent
not more than 20 percent

goodwill
patent
copyright
cash

4.

Cost

$39,000

Residual

4,500

Estimated useful life

5 years

Year 2?

(Points : 2)
$9,360
$5,616
$1,116
$15,600

5.

(Points : 2)
market value
maturity value
cost
amortized cost

6.

Cost

=

$240,000

Market value

=

$280,000

(Points : 2)

7.

(Points : 2)
True
False

8.

(Points : 2)
fixed asset
intangible asset

9.

(Points : 2)

10.

Accelerated depreciation

(Points : 2)

11.

(Points : 2)
$180,000
$160,000
$140,000
$ 60,000

12.

Deferred charges are:

(Points : 2)
typically not amortized
short-term assets

13.

Management intends to They are not
hold them long-term
marketable

(Points : 2)
Yes Yes
No Yes
Yes No
No No

14.

(Points : 2)
stays the same
increases
decreases

15.

(Points : 2)
True
False

16.

(Points : 2)
True
False

17.

(Points : 2)
$175,500
$195,000
$214,500
$225,000

18.

(Points : 2)
$1,410,000
$1,450,000
$1,365,000
$1,350,000

19.

(Points : 2)
short-term marketable securities
long-term marketable securities
intangible assets
property, plant, and equipment

20.

(Points : 2)
more than 50 percent
not less than 90 percent
not more than 20 percent

Expert:  Linda_us replied 3 years ago.
How much time do we have.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

one hour 40 mins

Expert:  Linda_us replied 3 years ago.
Good....I will get all of these in 30-40 minutes. Already done 4.
Expert:  Linda_us replied 3 years ago.
Hi Customer

Please Click here for Solution

Bonus and positive feedback would be highly appreciated.

Regards

Linda
Experience: Post Graduate Diploma in Management (MBA)
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Thank you Linda, I will see you again next saturday at 11:00 am. Can you please confirm this time?

Kind Regards,

Wanda

Expert:  Linda_us replied 3 years ago.
Yes sure. I would be here next Saturday. Also whenever you request me a question, please allow sometime to complete the question (as last time I answered the question in 33 minutes but by that time you had solution from somewhere else). Also if you no longer need the answer please update me.

See you next Saturday :-)

Regards

Linda
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Thank you Linda I will allow you time and let you know when I no longer need a solution.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Hello Linda,

I would like to know will you be online this Saturday at 11:00 AM? I have another time test for the week and also next week. Please confirm that you will be online and available.

Thank you,

Wanda Riley

Expert:  Linda_us replied 3 years ago.
Hi Customer

I would be online and available as per the requested time.

Just wanted to say that as this time critical assignment just be considerate regarding your offer (based on the number of questions asked).

By the way how much we scored in last test?

Regards

Linda
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
I got 38/40 on the last test. Thanks for your help
Expert:  Linda_us replied 3 years ago.
You are welcome. See you tommorow.

Edited by Linda on 10/29/2010 at 7:24 PM EST
Expert:  Linda_us replied 3 years ago.
Hi Customer

I am ready. We can start now.

Regards

Linda
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Ok, I will be sending you the information in a few minutes.

Wanda

Expert:  Linda_us replied 3 years ago.
ok.

Do you want to start new thread or will you be posting question here itself?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

1. For most firms, revenue is recognized (Points : 2)
at the point of cash collection
at completion of production
at the time the sale takes place
during production

2. Revenue should be recognized on a transaction (Points : 2)
at the a customer places an order
when the cash has been collected from the buyer
when the seller has earned the right to payment from the buyer
as soon as the seller is confident that he has a buyer for the goods under consideration

3. Certain depreciation costs and the amounts paid to certain employees would be reported on the income statement as part of cost of goods sold if the company (Points : 2)
is a manufacturer
follows a practice of deferring taxes whenever possible
had discontinued operations during the period
is using the LIFO method of inventory valuation

4.

The Philandering Soy Company reported the following accounts receivable balances for 2008:

Beginning of the year$84,000
End of the year

90,000

This information means that

(Points : 2)
credit sales exceeded cash collections from customers during the year
cash collections from customers exceeded credit sales during the year
the firm did an excellent job of collecting its receivables
credit sales increased during the current year over the prior year

5. Which of the following is NOT a category of inventory used in a manufacturing company? (Points : 2)
work-in-process
finished goods
raw materials
overhead

6. Work-in-process includes all of the items below EXCEPT (Points : 2)
cost of materials used in the production of goods
cost of labor used directly in the production of goods
selling costs associated with the goods
overhead costs incurred in the production of goods

7. Extraordinary items are reported as a separate item on the income statement, net of income taxes.(Points : 2)
True
False

8. Product lines eliminated by a company due to the fact that they no longer generate profits are known as (Points : 2)
discarded operations
discharged operations
abandoned operations
discontinued operations

9. The FIFO inventory cost method differs from the LIFO method in that the(Points : 2)
LIFO method more clearly matches current inventory cost with sales revenue
FIFO method more clearly matches current inventory cost with sales revenue
LIFO method assumes the oldest purchases are stored in the rear of the storage areas
FIFO method is a more acceptable accounting method

10. Alpha Builders specializes in large construction contracts that take several years to complete. As a general rule, Alpha should recognize revenue

A little each year As soon as the
as work progresses contract is signed(Points : 2)
Yes No
No No
Yes Yes
No Yes

11. When preparing an income statement, cost of goods sold has been subtracted out in order to obtain which of the following?

Gross Profit Operating Income(Points : 2)
Yes Yes
Yes No
No Yes
No No

12. Automated Merchandising Company uses the LIFO method of cost assignment. The following data are available:

DateUnitsUnit CostTotal Cost
Beginning inventoryJan. 1 400$24$ 9,600
PurchaseMar. 13 8002822,400
PurchaseJune 201,2003238,400
Ending inventoryDec. 31 200

The value of the ending inventory will be(Points : 2)
$2,400
$4,800
$5,866
$6,400

13. Which of the following is NOT a deduction on the income statement when computing net income? (Points : 2)
loss from discontinued operations
cost of goods sold
interest expense
preferred dividends

14. Which of the following would NOT be reported as a separate item on the income statement, net of tax? (Points : 2)
extraordinary item
discontinued operations
sale of inventory
change in accounting method

15. When reporting revenues on the income statement, they should be reported net of

Expected Estimated
Sales Returns
Uncollectible Accounts(Points : 2)
Yes Yes
Yes No
No Yes
No No

16. Duhany Auto Company sold off a major segment of its business during March of 2007 at a loss. The loss from the sale should be reported in the firm's financial statements as a(n)(Points : 2)
extraordinary item
discontinued operation
subsequent event
change in accounting method

17. You would expect to see the account Work-in-Process Inventory reported on the balance sheet of a

Manufacturing Firm Merchandising Firm(Points : 2)
Yes No
No No
Yes Yes
No Yes

18. Identify the TRUE statement regarding non-recurring items on the income statement.(Points : 2)
they are generally reported after operating income in order to highlight their special circumstances
the reporting of other revenue is an example of a non-recurring item
non-recurring items are excluded when computing earnings per share and when computing earnings available for common stockholders
most non-recurring items have no significant effect on net income

19. The City of Gunnison awarded a $5,000,000 road-construction contract to the Fast Builders Construction Company. Construction was expected to take three years. After one year, Fast Builders had incurred $625,000 of cost and was approximately 20% completed with the road. The company estimated that another $2,500,000 would be expended to complete the contract. The company is confident regarding its estimates. What amount of profit, if any, should Fast Builders recognize for the first year?(Points : 2)
$0
$375,000
$500,000
$625,000
$1,000,000

20. A loss from a natural disaster that is both unusual and infrequent should be reported on a company's income statement(Points : 2)
as part of the computation of operating income
as part of the computation of pretax income
as part of the computation of net income
after net income

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
please confirm that you got this quizz
Expert:  Linda_us replied 3 years ago.
Yes I got the quiz. How much time do we have?

Edited by Linda on 10/30/2010 at 2:47 PM EST
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
1 hour 20 mins
Expert:  Linda_us replied 3 years ago.
In another 30 minutes I will post the solution.

Edited by Linda on 10/30/2010 at 2:58 PM EST
Expert:  Linda_us replied 3 years ago.
THIS ANSWER IS LOCKED!
You can view this answer by clicking here to Register or Login and paying $3.
If you've already paid for this answer, simply Login.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Hello, we got 38/40. I will see you next week at 11:00 Am. Thanks for your help.

Thank you,

Wanda

Expert:  Linda_us replied 3 years ago.
Thats good. Please let me know which one went wrong.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Linda,

Are you avilable to start the timed test?

Wanda Riley

Expert:  Linda_us replied 3 years ago.
Yes, we can start now.