Chris M.
Chris M., M.S.W. Social Work
Experience:  Master's Degree, strong math and writing skills, experience in one-on-one tutoring (college English)

Identify the defensive behavior from the Gibb categories

Identify the defensive behavior from the Gibb categories that is illustrated by each of the given numbered disconfirming messages.

Then rewrite the statement so that it becomes a confirming message, conducive to creating a supportive climate. (The first one is done.) Control

1. Sue, turn that off! Nobody can study with all that noise! Sue, I’m having a hard time studying with that radio on.

_____________2. Did you ever hear such a tacky idea as a formal reception with cheap paper plates?

_____________3. That idea will never work.

_____________4. Oh, Hank, you’re so funny for wearing a printed shirt with those pants. Well, I guess that’s a man for you.

_____________5. Terry, you’re acting like a child.

_____________6. CLASS! BE QUIET!

_____________7. You may think you know how to handle the situation, but you really don’t have the experience. I know when something’s over your head.

_____________8. You have five minutes and that’s it. Now get to work!

_____________9. Whatever you decide will be okay with me.

_____________10. (Spoken to your roommate) Every time I turn around, you have some friend over here eating the food that I’ve purchased. You are such a mooch!

You need to spend $3 to view this post. Add Funds to your account and buy credits.