Scott
Scott, MIT Graduate
Experience:  MIT Graduate (Math, Programming, Science, and Music)
3546829

Ethical Systems Table Directions 1. Fill in brief definiti

Customer Question

Ethical Systems Table
Directions:

1. Fill in brief definitions of each primary ethical theory.

2. Identify alternate names or variations of each ethical system based on your reading of the text and supplemental materials.

Match the real-world examples listed below with the corresponding systems. The first one has been completed for you in the table.
a. I believe people should be able to eat sand if they like the taste of it.
b. I believe that if sand is going to be eaten, it should be available for everyone to eat.
c. I believe people should be able to eat sand because it is the right thing to do.
d. I believe people should be able to eat sand because it is good for one’s health.
e. I believe people should be able to eat sand if they decide they want to, regardless of whether it is someone else’s sand.
f. I believe people should be able to eat sand if they want to because they are free to make the decision themselves.
g. I believe I will eat sand because it is the standard meal for my community.

3. Develop your own workplace example that fits with each system. Present each workplace scenario in a substantial paragraph of approximately 40 words. Although the table field will expand to accommodate your workplace examples, you may list them at the end of the table; make a note in the table to see the attached examples, however, so your facilitator knows to look for scenarios below the table.
4. Format references according to APA standards and include them after the table.

Ethical Theory or System Brief Definition Other Names for Theory Real-world Example Workplace Example

Duty-based Ethics
Regardless of consequences, certain moral principles are binding, focusing on duty rather than results or moral obligation over what the individual would prefer to do (Treviño & Nelson, 2007, Ch. 4).

In ethics, deontological ethics, or deontology (Greek: deon meaning obligation or duty), is a theory holding that decisions should be made solely or primarily by considering one's duties and the rights of others. Some systems are based on biblical or tenets from sacred.

Deontology, pluralism, moral rights, rights-based

Categorical imperative

Golden rule

C
I believe people should be able to eat sand because it is the right thing to do.

It is my duty to follow through with instructions my boss gives me, even if I do not agree with the concept. It is my moral obligation to respect authority figures.

Consequence-based Ethics A consequence-based approach to ethics gives priority to the value we attach to the results of actions. It emphasizes that the effects of our actions on ourselves and others tend to play an overriding role in ethical decision-making. It claims that we should assess the probable good and bad effects of the different options open to us in a situation and use these assessments as the basis for deciding what should or should not be done (www.forces.gc.ca, n.d.).

Rights-based Ethics

Human Nature Ethics

Relativistic Ethics

Entitlement-based Ethics

Virtue-based ethics

Reference
Treviño, L. K., & Nelson, K. A. (2007). Managing business ethics: Straight talk about how to do it right (4th ed.). Hoboken, NJ: Wiley.
www.forces.gc.ca. (n.d.). Ethics Terms. Retrieved from http://www.ethics.forces.gc.ca/dep-ped/tools-outils/trms-eng.aspx#util
Category: Homework
Expert:  Lani S. replied 4 years ago.

I could provide a completed table which you may use as a guide or paraphrase. Let me know if you are interested. Thanks.

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
No thank you. I would like to retrack my question
Expert:  Lani S. replied 4 years ago.
Ok, I will request this closed. Thanks.