Chris M.
Chris M., M.S.W. Social Work
Experience:  Master's Degree, strong math and writing skills, experience in one-on-one tutoring (college English)
22285537

Hi Chris, Are you online

Hi Chris,
Are you online?
Category: Homework
Expert:  Chris M. replied 3 years ago.

Hello Customer,

I am back online.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
okay, do you have time for us to do it now? I cannot send it to you all together, we have to do it one at a time.
Expert:  Chris M. replied 3 years ago.

What is the time limit?

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
It is thirty minutes.
Expert:  Chris M. replied 3 years ago.
Ok, send them all.
Expert:  Chris M. replied 3 years ago.

Sorry, I meant send the first one.

Edited by Chris M. on 9/13/2010 at 11:36 PM EST
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Zach says to not his friend, "I meant that as a sarcastic remark, not as a comment on you at all. Zach's statement is an example of:

a. metacommunication

b. distortion

c. emoticons

d. illustrators

When Jacob encounters a family crisis and handles it well, he is pleased to learned that he is able to operate well under high personal stress. prior to the family crisis, Jacob's knowledge of how he would manage personal stress was in which area of the Johari window?

a. open area

b. free area

c. unknown area

d. hidden area

Miguel tries to concentrate during a class lecture, but he can't get his mind off a personal problem. His preoccupation with his personal problem is an example of _____ noise

a. psychological

b. behavioral

c. physical

d. semantic

When Steven Covey says "Am I able to say not to the unimportant, no matter how urgent, and yes to the important" that applies to which of his concepts?

a. begin with the end in mind

b. synergize

c. put first things first

d. be proactive

here are the first set. they are fifty questions, and I can't highlight the whole thing, becaue it is not letting me do it. I am typing the rest of them to send to you.

Thanks

Expert:  Chris M. replied 3 years ago.

a. metacommunication

c. unknown area

a. psychological

c. put first things first

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

" you will want to sit down and drink your martini before I tell you about what happened today....... is an example of :

a. feedback

b. psychological noise

c. channel

d. feedforward

Acculturation means

a. processes that modify a person's culture

b. transmission of culture from one generation to another

c. communication between persons of different cultures

d. all that a social group has produced and developed

Communication is a transactional mean:

a. each part of communication connects with and depends on the other parts

b . there is a financial aspect to all communication

c. the sender and receiver take turns playing their roles

d. communication is a linear, clear cut process

Apparently meaniful relationshiips cannot develop without:

a.revealing your unknown self

b. self disclosure

c. being self aware

d. apprehension

First impression are important - the perception theory that helps explain why impressions are so important is

a. stereotypes

b. recency

c. primacy

d. implicit theories

For interpersonal communication to occur meanings must be encoded and decoded

True

False

Expert:  Chris M. replied 3 years ago.

d. feedforward

b. self disclosure

c. primacy

True

Chris M., M.S.W. Social Work
Experience: Master's Degree, strong math and writing skills, experience in one-on-one tutoring (college English)
Expert:  Chris M. replied 3 years ago.

Hello lekpeh,

Have you timed out?

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
yes I have, and I just send you some quizzes, did you see them?
Expert:  Chris M. replied 3 years ago.

Hello Customer,

Yes, I am working on them. Sorry that you timed out. Some of these questions are specific to your text and otherwise difficult to answer. Hopefully I can research the quiz questions sufficiently to give you the correct answers.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

That's fine.

Thanks

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Can we continue tomorrow?

I have to go to work.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

I understand.

Thanks

Expert:  Chris M. replied 3 years ago.

It's fine. A lot of the interpersonal communication material is relatively new, theoretical, and subjective--hard to answer some of these off the top of my head. You had two threads open and some of the questions were in one, some in the other. I did answer the quiz you sent.

-Chris M.

Edited by Chris M. on 9/14/2010 at 4:54 AM EST
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Thanks soo much. Did you receive my payment?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Can you help me with these please?

Thanks

Researcher Ellen Langer uses the terms _________ and _________ to describe the

way that we listen.

attentive, nonattentive

fruitful, fruitless

mindful, mindless

cognitive, mindless

Which of the following is not a contributing factor for understanding messages?

the volume of the message

the context of the message

knowledge about the source of the message

the listener's mental abilities

The fact that we spend five or more hours a day listening contributes to

information overload

hearing problems

rapid thought

personal concerns

In comparing listening, speaking, reading, and writing, which of the following is true?

Speaking is used most but taught least.

Listening is most used but taught least.

Writing is used most and taught most.

Reading is taught most and used least.

Which of the following was not used in the text as an example of counterfeit questions?

"You said we were going too fast. Could you be more specific?"

"Honey, do you think I'm overweight?"

"Are you finally off the phone?"

"Are you busy Friday night?"

"Why aren't you listening to me?"

In analyzing a situation, the listener offers an interpretation of a speaker's message.

True
False

When paraphrasing, it is important to use the speaker's exact words.

True
False

Pseudolisteners give the appearance of being attentive, but their minds are in another world.

True
False

When approached with another's problem, the most common reaction is advising.

True
False

Expert:  Chris M. replied 3 years ago.

way that we listen. mindful, mindless

the listener's mental abilities

information overload

In analyzing a situation, the listener offers an interpretation of a speaker's message. True

When paraphrasing, it is important to use the speaker's exact words. False

Pseudolisteners give the appearance of being attentive, but their minds are in another world. True

True

Hope this helps!

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Here is one more, if you have time.

Thanks so much for you help.

Attachments are only available to registered users.

Register Here

The notion that words are arbitrary and have no meaning in themselves refers to which characteristic of language?

symbolic

meanings in words, not people

static

rule-governed

equivocal

The notion that the worldview of a culture is shaped and reflected by the language its members speak is known as

co-culture

linguistic relativism

prejudice

ethnocentrism

egocentrism

The fact that the words "whiskey makes you sick when you're well," when arranged differently, "Whiskey, when you're sick, makes you well," create a totally different meaning is related to which rule of language?

pragmatic

semantic

syntactic

phonological

The Dr. Fox hypothesis, based on a fraudulent lecture given by an actor, is an example of language shaping our impression of

racism

sexism

credibility

status

power

Language usage that has a high frequency of terms implying superior male traits and inferior female traits or a high frequency of terms of superior female traits and inferior male traits is known as

sexist language

metacommunication

androgynous language

paralanguage

In same-sex conversations, men use more questions and personal pronouns; women use more directives and interruptions.

True
False

"I" language reflects the speaker's willingness to take responsibility for her or his beliefs and feelings.

True
False

Competent communicators understand that ambiguity and vagueness can sometimes serve useful purposes.

True
False

The use of "powerful" or "powerless" language affects how competent speakers are judged.

True
False

An important task facing communicators is to establish a common understanding of the words they use to exchange messa

True

False

Expert:  Chris M. replied 3 years ago.
THIS ANSWER IS LOCKED!
You can view this answer by clicking here to Register or Login and paying $3.
If you've already paid for this answer, simply Login.
Chris M., M.S.W. Social Work
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Thanks soooo much.