Chris M.
Chris M., M.S.W. Social Work
Experience:  Master's Degree, strong math and writing skills, experience in one-on-one tutoring (college English)
22285537

1.The steps of perception checking are Tell them what you

Customer Question

1.The steps of perception checking are: Tell them what you are seeing or `hearing, explain what you think might be going on, ask them if your interpretation is correct. Let them know what you think is going on first - then tell them why. Let them know what you are thinking, tell them why you think you are right, tell them they should do things as you wish Your friend Steve is driving erratically. You think it is because he is mad at you for teasing him about his decision to join the circus. Steve, if you don't slow down I will call the cops. Being a circus clown is a stupid idea. What did you think I was going to say? Dude, slow down before you get us both killed. I know I ticked off when I laughed about you being a clown, but get over it - clowns are funny. Dude, you are driving really fast and I am feeling nervous about it. I didn't realize you were serious when you said you wanted to be a clown. Can we talk about it? Steve, you seem upset about something. I think it is because of me. What did I do? Steve, I noticed that you are driving faster than usual and taking turns really hard. I think you are mad about that comment I made about being a clown. Are you mad at me? Your boss called a meeting and said you did not need to attend. You think it is because they are considering eliminating your position. There are two correct choices here - you may pick either. I got your note about not coming to the meeting. Is this something I should be concerned about? I need this job and if you are going to lay me off - I need you to tell me that. Last week layoffs were purposed, this week I am uninvited to a meeting I usually attend. Are you considering laying me off? I don't like not being invited to this meeting. I have worked hard for this company. Are you going to fire me? I got your note about the meeting. I know lately I have not been doing my best. What can I do to improve? Your significant other calls and says they will be late coming home for the third night in a row. You think they have been going out drinking with someone. Dear, this is the third night in a row you have called to say you are coming home late. I am worried you are going out drinking with Sam again. Is that why you have been coming home late? You have been coming home late a lot lately. I think you are out drinking. Can we talk about it? I know you have been out drinking with Sam for the last two nights. I think you are going out with him/her again tonight. That is what is happening - isn't it? I understand you need to unwind after work. You know I don't like it when you go out drinking. Will you come home? No, you are coming home on time or you don't need to come home. If you know someone well then you know what they are up to - you can count on your perceptions being accurate. True Let them know that you do not appreciate what they are doing, tell them what you want them to do to correct the situation, follow-up to make sure they have done it. If you are observant then it is easy to see where another person's perception is coming from. True False A person's behavior does not indicate what you think it does. True False You can avoid some uncomfortable situations if you check your perceptions about what is going on. True False Perception checking is one communication tool - if you are right or if you are wrong - you then move on and use other communication tools. True False Perception checking is the solution to any problems you may have with misunderstanding. True False Others will always welcome your perception checking when you use it. True False Perception checking can help reduce conflict and misunderstanding. True False Your friend Jan has been moping around all day. You think it is because she got in a fight with her boyfriend Bill. Hey Jan what's up with the sad face? Jan its noon get off the couch and outta your pajamas - then you might smile. Bill is not good enough for you! Jan I see you sitting there looking sad, I don't think it is fair to me to have to be around you when you are moody. I really want you to work things out with Bill so we can all be happier. Wow Jan, you are still in your pajamas. I think maybe you and Bill got in a fight. Is that why you seem so down? Jan, I see you are still in your pajamas. I know you and Bill have been fighting. Is there anything I can do to help? Your significant other has been exceptionally nice tonight. You have the nagging feeling they are about to ask you for something you will not want to give/do. Wow great meal, my favorite movie... I can tell you want something. What is it? Wow great meal, my favorite movie.... since you have been so nice I am willing to go look at cars again. Are you happy now? Wow great meal, my favorite movie.... if there were more nights like this I might
Edit
What happens next?
1.The Experts are working on your answer
Watch this page for an update or you can check for a notification in your email.
2.Read your Expert's answer
Ask follow-
Category: Homework
Expert:  Chris M. replied 3 years ago.

Hello lekpah2008,

The formating on this question was bad. Review this to make sure I got the wording of the questions right.

1. The steps of perception checking are: Tell them what you are seeing or hearing, explain what you think might be going on, ask them if your interpretation is correct.

2. Your friend Steve is driving erratically. You think it is because he is mad at you for teasing him about his decision to join the circus. Proper response: Steve, I noticed that you are driving faster than usual and taking turns really hard. I think you are mad about that comment I made about being a clown.

3. Your boss called a meeting and said you did not need to attend. You think it is because they are considering eliminating your position. Proper response: Last week layoffs were purposed, this week I am uninvited to a meeting I usually attend. Are you considering laying me off?

4. Your significant other calls and says they will be late coming home for the third night in a row. You think they have been going out drinking with someone. Proper response: Dear, this is the third night in a row you have called to say you are coming home late. I am worried you are going out drinking with Sam again. Is that why you have been coming home late?

5. If you know someone well then you know what they are up to--you can count on your perceptions being accurate. False (not always)

6. Let them know that you do not appreciate what they are doing, tell them what you want them to do to correct the situation, follow-up to make sure they have done it.

Note: Don't understand what the question is here. Is something missing or is this a multiple choice that is misplaced?

7. If you are observant then it is easier to see where another person's perception is coming from. True

8. A person's behavior does not always indicate what you think it does. True

9. You can avoid some uncomfortable situations if you check your perceptions about what is going on. True

10. Perception checking is one communication tool - if you are right or if you are wrong - you then move on and use other communication tools. True

11. Others will always welcome your perception checking when you use it. False

12. Perception checking can help reduce conflict and misunderstanding. True

13. Your friend Jan has been moping around all day. You think it is because she got in a fight with her boyfriend Bill. Proper response: Wow Jan, you are still in your pajamas. I think maybe you and Bill got in a fight. Is that why you seem so down?

14. Your significant other has been exceptionally nice tonight. You have the nagging feeling they are about to ask you for something you will not want to give/do. Proper response: Last response is cut short. "Wow great meal, my favorite movie.... if there were more nights like this I might..." What is the rest of this response?

Hope this helps!

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Yeah, you got it right. Thanks soooooooooooooooooo much, and it's nice to get in touch with you again.

Attachments are only available to registered users.

Register Here

Register Here

Register Here
Expert:  Chris M. replied 3 years ago.

Hello lekpah,

I am supplying this as an "answer" so you can "accept" if you are satisfied.

Chris M., M.S.W. Social Work
Experience: Master's Degree, strong math and writing skills, experience in one-on-one tutoring (college English)
Expert:  Chris M. replied 3 years ago.

Lekpeh,

This one got left out:

Perception checking is the solution to any problems you may have with misunderstanding. False

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

just noticed that too. thanks much.

I have another one that I need help with, but I will have to post the questions one at a time, do you have time to help with that?

Thanks

Expert:  Chris M. replied 3 years ago.

Hello lekpeh,

I had internet problems last night and didn't get this reply. If you still need help with these question, reply with a time you would like to do this.

Edited by Chris M. on 9/11/2010 at 3:33 PM EST
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

How about 9/13, at about 6pm? will that work for you?

Please let me know.

Thanks so much.

Expert:  Chris M. replied 3 years ago.
Yes, that will be fine. See you then.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Hi Chris here is the continuation:

Irene observes that on the most recent test in her engineering class, only two students out of 60 earned higher scores that she did. she concludes that she is smarter than most of the others in class, at least in the subject of engineering. this is an example of a

a. direct definition

b. reflected appriasal

c. social comparison

d. identity script

Jenna beleives that she doesn't have an aptitude for statistics, so doesn't put much effort into her statistics class. she performs poorly in the class, supporting her initial belief. this is an example of a:

a. self fulling prophecy

b. social comparison

c. identity

d. direct definition

The use of one's own culture and its practices as the standard for interpreting the values, beliefs, and norms of another culture is known as:

a. ethnocentrism

b. cultural relativism

c. egocentrism

d. moral relativism

Any time two people are communicating there are _____ perspectives of that interaction

a. 4

b. 6

c. 8

d. 2

Dick and Jane are strangers who hop on the same plane for a last minute get away to Cancun. when dick sits down next to jane they introduce themselves and share a basic information with one another. which of the five purposes of interpersonal communication does this exchange represent

a. to relate

b. to influence

c. to play

c. to help

The information shared by Dick and Jane in the scenario above would be in which quadrant of each person's Johari window?

a. unknown

b. blind

c. open

d. hidden

As Dick and jane continue taling Jane sahres that she is escaping because her divorce from Bob was finalized the day before. she shares a lot of personal info about her divorce and break down of she marriage. dick is not saying much and is not sharing any new info about himself. this should give Jane a clue that ........

a. Dick will help her understand her blind self

b. she is violating the norm of reciprocity

c. dick is a good listener

c. self disclosure to Dick is how she will cope with this change

About 15 minutes into Jane's monologue about her divorce an in flight game of bingo starts and the cabin of the plane is very noisy with jubilant travelers this creates......

a. semantic noise

b. physical noise

c. psychological noise

c physiological noise

when the plane land jane says to dick " I really enjoyed meeting you" dick politely says me too, have a great trip. Dick isn't saying this because he enjoyed the conversation but because he feels it is the right thing to say. in interpersonal perception that is an example of.......

a. prototype

b. stereotype

c. personal construct

d. script.

Jane see Dick smile when he says this and thinks he really did enjoy himself. jane says your smile is so kind, since we both enjoyed our conversation on the palne, would you like to get together in Cancun?" this observation and question are an example of this interpersonal communication tool.........

a, dual perspective

b. perception check

c. self serving bias

d. monitoring

enculturation means:

a. the transmission of culture from one generation to another

b communication between persons of different cultures

c. all that a social group had produces and developed

d. processes that modify a person's culture through contact with other cultures

I am sorry, I just noticed the time is actually 1 hour. I have 28 minutes left, and I am sending the rest.

Expert:  Chris M. replied 3 years ago.

c. social comparison

a. self fulling prophecy

b. cultural relativism

a. 4

a. to relate

d. hidden

c. physical noise

d. script.

d. monitoring

Edited by Chris M. on 9/14/2010 at 12:33 AM EST
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Because it's often impossible to distinguish sending and receiving, your text's communication model replaces these roles with the more accurate term:

listener

speaker

empathizer

communicator

none of these options are correct

The idea that it is often necessary to negotiate a shared meaning in order for satisfying communication to occur relates to which characteristic of the communication model?

Channels make a difference.

Environment and noise affect communication.

Sending and receiving are usually simultaneous.

Meanings exist in and among people.

Research conducted by Patrick O'Sullivan to learn about preferences for face-to-face versus mediated channels for sending messages concluded that:

Positive messages should be sent using mediated channels.

Mediated channels are appealing for sending negative messages.

Face-to-face is always better than mediated channels.

Channels people choose for sending messages don't contribute to communication competence.

Negative messages should be sent face-to-face.

Environments are also referred to as:

cognitive complexity

self-monitoring

contexts

relationships

homes

The dynamic process that participants create through their interaction with one another is termed:

transactional

noise

context

environment

We gain an idea of who we are from the way others define us.

True

False

Most people can learn to communicate more effectively.

True
False

In interpersonal contexts, the content dimension is more important that the relational dimension of a message.

True
False

Communication competence is a trait that a person either possesses or lacks.

True
False

Effective communication can satisfy identity needs.

True
False

with the first one, I ran out of time. this one is just a quiz.

Thanks for helping me.

Expert:  Chris M. replied 3 years ago.
THIS ANSWER IS LOCKED!
You can view this answer by clicking here to Register or Login and paying $3.
If you've already paid for this answer, simply Login.