Chris M.
Chris M., M.S.W. Social Work
Experience:  Master's Degree, strong math and writing skills, experience in one-on-one tutoring (college English)

Here are the questions for exams, 00766000 and 00766100. 00766000

Here are the questions for exams, 00766000 and 00766100. 00766000 - The Middle Ages and the Renaissance 1. If you're studying the science of sound, you're studying which of the following? A. Frequency C. Pitch B. Acoustics D. Wavelength 2. The highest range of notes is sung by the A. soprano. C. tenor. B. alto. D. bass. 3. Native American chant incorporates meaningless sung syllables that serve as a form of melodic instrument called A. duple meter. C. pulse. B. vocables. D. drone bass. 4. The volume of sound is known as A. dynamics. C. amplitude. B. frequency. D. pitch. 5. A series of notes that moves stepwise and covers a complete span is called a/an A. whole step. C. interval. B. melody. D. octave. 6. Roy will play a melody in triple meter and place the pulse of the meter on the first beat. Chuck will play the triple meter melody and place the pulse of the meter on the third beat. Who is playing the melody with the correct pulse? A. Roy B. Chuck C. Both are playing the melody correctly. D. Neither is playing the melody correctly. 7. The texture of GregorXXX XXXXt is said to be A. heterophonic. C. polyphonic. B. homophonic. D. monophonic. 8. Harmony is used to support the melody by using A. chords. C. meter. B. monophonic chant. D. tonic. 9. When a composer sets a single syllable of a word to several notes of music, he or she is using _______ style. A. plainchant C. melismatic B. syllabic D. cadence 10. An example of a double reed musical instrument is the A. bassoon. C. saxophone. B. clarinet. D. piccolo. 11. In plainchant, a sentence of text almost always ends with A. cadence. C. a minor chord. B. disjunct motion. D. the note D. 12. Landini's tendency to intersperse occasional melismas in text that was generally syllabic in nature helped to ensure that the music A. was easily understood by the listener. C. wasn't monotonous. B. conveyed happiness. D. had enjoyable rhythm. 13. Until the sixteenth century, music was written primarily A. in the minor mode. C. in the major mode. B. for just one voice. D. for dance. 14. The basic framework for ordering music through time is the A. value. C. syllable. B. phrase. D. meter. 15. In musical language, mezzo forte (mf) signals that the music's volume should be A. medium soft. C. soft. B. very loud. D. medium loud. 16. What invention during the Renaissance period enabled people to purchase music for their own personal use? A. Faster delivery service B. Printing press C. Instruments for trained transcription workers D. Electronic recording devices 17. Von Bingen's Play of Virtues is set to which of the following types of music? A. Madrigal C. Liturgical plainchant B. Orchestral D. Harmonic 18. An example of a percussion instrument is the A. lute. C. shawm. B. drum. D. violin. 19. A capella choral music is meant to be A. sung by men only. B. sung by women only. C. played in church on an organ. D. sung without instrumental accompaniment. 20. A measured performance that adheres consistently to the duple meter would be read as A. 1-2-3-4. C. 1-2-3. B. 1-2-3-4. D. 1-2-3-4. 00766100 - The Baroque Era 1. A lyrical movement or piece for solo voice with instrumental accompaniment is called a/an A. ostinato. C. operetta. B. aria. D. chorus. 2. What is the difference between an oratorio and an opera? A. An opera is staged and an oratorio isn't. B. An oratorio doesn't include an aria and an opera does. C. The opera is based on a sacred topic and an oratorio isn't. D. An oratorio doesn't include recitatives. 3. The first opera to win widespread acclaim was A. Purcell's Dido and Aeneas. B. Handel's Messiah. C. Monteverdi's Orpheus. D. Handel's Rinaldo. 4. The use of two violins and a basso continuo forms which combination of music? A. sonata da chiesa. C. sonata da camera. B. cantata. D. trio sonata. 5. Instrumental work written for a soloist and a larger ensemble is called a A. concerto. C. prelude. B. cantata. D. fugue. 6. All of the following instruments would be likely to play the basso continuo in a Baroque musical piece except the A. lute. C. cello. B. harpsichord. D. violin. 7. Handel's Messiah is classified as a/an A. oratorio. C. cantata. B. chorale. D. opera. 8. When instruments double the voices by playing the same notes sung by a chorus, the music is considered to have A. unified timbre. C. syncopation. B. paired movement. D. contrasting timbre. 9. The Baroque period began around the year A. 1050. C. 1600. B. 1500. D. 1750. 10. The main theme of a fugue is called the A. exposition. C. episode. B. melody. D. subject. 11. The last movement of Bach's Cantata no. 140 is what texture? A. Polyphonic C. Atonal B. A ritornello D. Homophonic 12. A style of vocal music that's a cross between singing and speaking is commonly referred to as A. pavane. C. recitative. B. polychoral. D. gigue. 13. Music work performed in a series is called a/an A. suite. C. fugue. B. sonata. D. allemande. 14. The most popular oratorio is A. Der Messias. C. Orpheus. B. Messiah. D. Aeneas. 15. The ____
Category: Homework
Expert:  Chris M. replied 3 years ago.
THIS ANSWER IS LOCKED!
You can view this answer by clicking here to Register or Login and paying $3.
If you've already paid for this answer, simply Login.
Chris M., M.S.W. Social Work
Experience: Master's Degree, strong math and writing skills, experience in one-on-one tutoring (college English)