RopTeam
RopTeam, Bachelors Degree
Experience:  Business Analyst
12090234

In 1999, a Seattle man took a popular soft-drink company ser

Customer Question

In 1999, a Seattle man took a popular soft-drink company seriously when one of its commercials made an offer of a Harrier jet, the famous high-tech jump jet used by the U.S. Marines. In a TV commercial that aired in 1995, the company jokingly included the Harrier as one of the prizes that could be received with a mere 7 million company points. Although that sounds like a lot of points to get from drinking the soft drink company's products (roughly 190 drinks a day for 100 years), the company also allowed customers to purchase points for 10 cents each.
The man did the math and discovered that the cost of the 7 million points needed for the jet was $700,000. He then put together a business plan, raised the $700,000 from friends and family, and submitted 15 points, the check, and an official order form along with a demand for the Harrier jet.

and than 3-5 paragraphs

For this Discussion Board assignment, consider the following statement:

Drug use is information that is rightfully private and only in exceptional cases can an employer claim a right to know about such use.
Post a response to the Discussion Board that either defends or opposes this statement.

Discussion Board Assignment Guidelines:

Determine your stance on the issue of drug testing and employee drug use, and in 3–5 paragraphs, write how you feel about the issue.

You may use the following questions to help outline your response:

Do employers always have a right to know about employee drug use?
What if the drug use has no effect on employee performance?
What if the drug use constitutes a serious health risk?
How would you (as a manager) address the issue of employee drug use?
Post a new topic to the Discussion Board that contains your drug use argument. Respond to two other students' posts on the Discussion Board, and explain to them why you agree or disagree with their position.

The company wrote back, stating that the Harrier jet in the commercial was simply used to create a humorous and entertaining advertisement. They apologized for any misunderstanding or confusion people may have experienced and enclosed some free product coupons.

The free coupons did not satisfy the man, who then took the soft drink company to court. Finally, a federal judge for the Southern District of New York held that the company was only joking when it implied in its ad that it was giving away fighter jets. The judge noted that because the jets sell for approximately $23 million, no one could have concluded that the commercial actually offered consumers a Harrier jet. Instead, this was a classic example of a deal that was too good to be true.

Write a 1–2-page paper that answers the following questions:

What are the four elements of a valid contract?
What is the objective theory of contracts?
How does the objective theory of contracts apply to this case?
In your own words, why do you think the court held that there was not a valid agreement here?
Are advertisements generally considered offers? Explain.
How does this case differ from a reward situation in which a unilateral contract is formed upon completion of the requested act?
Your submitted assignment (125 points) must include a 1–2-page Word document that contains your answers to the questions listed a reference list of any sources that you used within your paper (cited properly in APA format).
Category: Homework
Expert:  Jennifer replied 4 years ago.
Hello it looks like you have two assignments in one, a 3-5 paragraph on employee drug use and the 1-2 page paper. This is the assignment, just making sure it was intentional.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
yes its for the same class and the 3-5 is really short. can you get it done? it has to be original because i have to turn it online and they have the similarity score.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
are you working on it?
Expert:  RopTeam replied 4 years ago.

Hi Martins.

Yes I can complete this question.

Post by Weds. pm?

thank you,

toneemarie

Looking forward to working with you, have a pleasant day o/

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
do the other question first because its due thursday, and this one have it done by saturday...can you make it happen?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
when you having this one done?
Expert:  RopTeam replied 4 years ago.

Hi Martin getting back to work on this one. I get the harrier jet question/assignment,

Can you restate the one on drug use?

thanks

Draft late Thurs. Final fri.

Thank you for Accept on other answer,

tm

Edited by Toneemarie on 9/9/2010 at 3:37 PM EST
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
did not understand your question
Expert:  RopTeam replied 4 years ago.

1st question on this post:

Discussion Board Assignment Guidelines:
3-5 paragraphs
Determine your stance on the issue of drug testing and employee drug use, and in 3-5 paragraphs, write how you feel about the issue.

question #2

1-2 pages

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
i still dont understand what you asking for. i have one question that is board discussion 3-5 paragraphs and the other question is a individual project 1-2
Expert:  RopTeam replied 4 years ago.

Hi there.

Here is the response to part 1.

thank you,

tm

___________________

Drug Use in the Workplace

Class

Student

Date

The opposition to this statement is primarily in the part that says "only in exceptional cases". Every employer that is paying someone to do a job in their company has a right to know if they can expect a certain level of competence and accountability. In addition to this, an employer has a right to know if an illegal substance is on his property. Whether it is in the body of an employee or not.

Employers have a right to know about employee drug use. Consider answering this question. Would you want to know if a surgeon, doctor prescribing medication, lawyer, teacher, cable guy, or anyone that is doing a service for you or someone you love is using drugs? it is probably safe to say each of these jobs involve an employer of some type. If one of these workers accidentally made a mistake that cost a customer money, health issues, or even death who would be accountable? Most likely the employer first, then the employee.

In the case of a drug having no effect on employee performance it would depend on the drug. Even an aspirin can cause drowsiness. How does anyone know how it would affect performance? Do they conduct ‘a before using the drug test and an after using the drug test to validate performance‘? Probably not till after the chauffeur who took a couple pills, crashes a car full of teenage passengers into a semi truck, then frankly it is too late.

If the drug constitutes a serious health risk. Yes the employer has a right to know. The employer is responsible for all workers in his business. If another employee is infected because of one posing a serious health risk, this contagion could spread throughout the staff causing multiple illnesses. For example if an employee has to take a drug that could cause allergic reactions for others in the workplace, the employer needs to be aware of this.

How to address this issue as a manager?

Now for over the counter drugs the employer should have the opportunity to decide how he wants to run his business. As a manager it would be a matter of company policy and included in the employee handbook or code of conduct concerning drug use and what the requirements and expectations for employees are. This information would be shared with employees in advance prior to employment. Each employee can decide if they wish to abide by that policy. If there is no health risk, the drug would most likely be tolerated. Otherwise the employee would have to disclose the reason for the drug use and when it is being taken.

Edited by Toneemarie on 9/10/2010 at 4:36 AM EST
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
i made a big mistake i am really sorry. i am glad i saw it right now.

and than 3-5 paragraphs

Discussion Board Assignment Guidelines:

hope it make sense
Expert:  RopTeam replied 4 years ago.

Did you get the answer I posted above about the drug use discussion questions?

I am working on the Harrier jet questions now,

tm

tm

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
ok
Expert:  RopTeam replied 4 years ago.
THIS ANSWER IS LOCKED!
You can view this answer by clicking here to Register or Login and paying $3.
If you've already paid for this answer, simply Login.
RopTeam, Bachelors Degree
Experience: Business Analyst
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
hello how u doing? i add 2 more questions go check it out.....one is 3-5 paragraphs and the other is 4-5 body pages let me know
Expert:  RopTeam replied 4 years ago.

Hello, I just responded to one of them and asked about a due date?

thank you,

tm